+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help needed. Transit through China

Mithra31

Sep 4, 2015
Ontario, CA
LANDED..........
17-07-2017
I have a Canadian PR Travel Document and holding Canadian PR card.
I have my flight Toronto/Montreal-Vancouver -Guangzhou /Shanghai-Sri Lanka.
Do I need transit visa for my stopovers in China?

It’s just one ticket and one airline, China Southern Airline.

If anyone had the same experience please do share it with me
Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What passport do you hold? For China Southern, I think you have stopover in Guangzhou only unless you want to get another flight to visit Shanghai before the continue flight to Sri Lanka. If so, you probably need a visitor visa in China for sightseeing in Shanghai.

Edit: PR card and PRTD is for entry in Canada only.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mithra31

Mithra31

Sep 4, 2015
Ontario, CA
LANDED..........
17-07-2017
What passport do you hold? For China Southern, I think you have stopover in Guangzhou only unless you want to get another flight to visit Shanghai before the continue flight to Sri Lanka. If so, you probably need a visitor visa in China for sightseeing in Shanghai.

Edit: PR card and PRTD is for entry in Canada only.
Yeah i fly with China Southern Airline, now I checked it stops in one airport in China not 2.
have a stop for 6 hours in Guangzhou then Colombo, there is no more stops in china, and also I have the Canadian Travel Document, not any other nationality passports.
buy the way its just one ticket and one airline and im not leaving the airport transit lounge to go out for sightseeing

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Yeah i fly with China Southern Airline, now I checked it stops in one airport in China not 2.
have a stop for 6 hours in Guangzhou then Colombo, there is no more stops in china, and also I have the Canadian Travel Document, not any other nationality passports.
buy the way its just one ticket and one airline and im not leaving the airport transit lounge to go out for sightseeing
I believe that you don't need a transit visa because you have only 6 hours stopover which qualifies under the 24 hours transit visa free regulation.

See link

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294211-c188665/China:Visa.Free.Transits.html

Reactions: Mithra31

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need a passport. They probably won't allow you to board without it.

Mithra31

Sep 4, 2015
Ontario, CA
LANDED..........
17-07-2017
You need a passport. They probably won't allow you to board without it.
It was very confusing Do I need or I Do Not.

My Canadian PR Travel document is my passport, I have contacted the Chinese Southern Airline they said they do not know if i need a visa or not they asked me to contact the General Consulate in Ottawa to make sure, so I contacted them, they said I do need transit visa, I can advantage of Transit Without Visa, because my layovers are less than 24 hours.

Same Airline for my whole trip and 1 single ticket.
Arrival in Guangzhou and same day departure -- Layover (10:15min)
Return: Layover (5:5min) in Guangzhou

Mithra31

Sep 4, 2015
Ontario, CA
LANDED..........
17-07-2017
I believe that you don't need a transit visa because you have only 6 hours stopover which qualifies under the 24 hours transit visa free regulation.

See link

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294211-c188665/China:Visa.Free.Transits.html

It’s just one single ticket and one airline, China Southern Airline.
I spoke with the airline they recommend me to talk to the embassy and when I wrote them everything and send them my itinerary, they said if you do not leave the transit area and the airport you do not need transit visa for a stay of less than 24 hours.

Mithra31

Sep 4, 2015
Ontario, CA
LANDED..........
17-07-2017
This is wrong, your Canadian PR is definitively not a passport. You need a valid passport from your country of citizenship to travel abroad.
Canadian Refugee Travel Document I have, and I have a valid PR card, I was a protected person now PR, I can not go back to get my country of origin's passport.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadian Refugee Travel Document I have, and I have a valid PR card, I was a protected person now PR, I can not go back to get my country of origin's passport.
You should had prefaced it in the beginning. You have Refugee travel document (not PR travel document). They are two different things.

Mithra31

Sep 4, 2015
Ontario, CA
LANDED..........
17-07-2017
You should had prefaced it in the beginning. You have Refugee travel document (not PR travel document). They are two different things.
I have spoken with the embassy, Airline, and entry and exit port at the airports, I do not need transit visa since I am not leaving the airport or transit area.
PR travel document is same (Convention of 28 July 1951) like refugee travel document, just big difference is Refugee travel document has 2 year validity since PRTD has 5 years validity.
they are both exact same color, document, and name

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have spoken with the embassy, Airline, and entry and exit port at the airports, I do not need transit visa since I am not leaving the airport or transit area.
PR travel document is same (Convention of 28 July 1951) like refugee travel document, just big difference is Refugee travel document has 2 year validity since PRTD has 5 years validity.
No, they are not the same. Since you have Canadian Refugee travel document, this is what you need to travel outside Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=610&top=11

However, you cannot use PRTD (alone) to travel to a foreign country.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is your PR card valid?

Otherwise, you might need to get a PR travel document in Sri Lanka to re enter Canada.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
PRTD is a permit that allows Canadian PR to travel and board commercial vehicles into Canada without a PR Card. It's meant to be a one time thing for people who don't have PR Card but needs to enter Canada

Your Refugee travel document is completely different

BlueMoon8794

May 20, 2018
It’s just one single ticket and one airline, China Southern Airline.
I spoke with the airline they recommend me to talk to the embassy and when I wrote them everything and send them my itinerary, they said if you do not leave the transit area and the airport you do not need transit visa for a stay of less than 24 hours.
Can you please tell me where do you email them? I am in kinda same situation but couldnt find any contact number to email them