+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help needed to apply for TRV

maylin

Jun 6, 2016
Hi! I'm planning to visit my boyfriend in Quebec for 3 months
I'm a Malaysian and currently unemployed. Just wondering what are the standard procedures involved in getting myself the visa. My main concern would be that I won't be able to stay for the full 3 months once I arrive and also since I'm currently unemployed it might indicate I don't have a strong enough tie to return to my country; though I have no plans on 'overstaying' beyond the 3 months and I have my family in Malaysia.

This would be my first time in Canada, I have travelled overseas before and also together with my boyfriend. Would it be wise to be straightforward and mention that he is my boyfriend too?

la94

Jun 2, 2016
hi I applied too to visit my fiance for 2 months . one of reasons of refusal was the length of stay

maylin

Jun 6, 2016
Would it help to reduce the length and apply for an extension later? Or should I risk it and mention 3 months?

la94

Jun 2, 2016
I have been told here to reduce the length of the stay . I will reapply again asking for 3 weeks. You should find ties to your country , other than your family. But I don't know

la94

Jun 2, 2016
The fact you travelled before is positive for you . So you won't have issue with " travel history" I think .

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
la94 said:
The fact you travelled before is positive for you . So you won't have issue with " travel history" I think .
It still depends on where the travels were made. They are looking for travels to places with visa requirements, like Europe, US, Australia, etc.

simplyaddo

Jun 18, 2012
Not sure why you refer to 3 months a number of times - perhaps you assume TRVs are for 3 months? TRVs are issued for a maximum of 6 months, but at the point of entry, the CBSA officer decides how long you get to stay.

Employment in your home country is a strong tie, without which it certainly does weaken your case. All is not lost though. Try finding ties liked ongoing education, volunteer or community work, etc. Perhaps you take care of elderly parents? You have a doctor's appointment coming up?

The other thing is your financial status. You need to show enough legit funds (and mention the source, since you are unemployed) to cover your stay.

I would suggest you start with a detailed itinerary of 3 weeks when applying for the TRV, and hope for the best.

maylin

Jun 6, 2016
I should start off with 3 weeks on my application and go from there? Is it possible for me to apply for an extension when in Canada?

The only 'strong ties' I have would be my family. I've graduated from university, completed 2 jobs prior to applying for the visa, I'm 29 years old, I've got some assets to my name here in Malaysia (if that helps?) I also have a lease agreement for my own apartment, should I provide the contract details etc?

I'm really hoping I can be there in July. Thanks guys for the advise

maylin

Jun 6, 2016
bellaluna said:
It still depends on where the travels were made. They are looking for travels to places with visa requirements, like Europe, US, Australia, etc.
Are we looking at the past 10years?

simplyaddo

Jun 18, 2012
maylin said:
I should start off with 3 weeks on my application and go from there? Is it possible for me to apply for an extension when in Canada?

The only 'strong ties' I have would be my family. I've graduated from university, completed 2 jobs prior to applying for the visa, I'm 29 years old, I've got some assets to my name here in Malaysia (if that helps?) I also have a lease agreement for my own apartment, should I provide the contract details etc?

I'm really hoping I can be there in July. Thanks guys for the advise
Yes, talk about visiting 3 weeks and there is still a chance your visa might be for 6 months. If not, you can request for an extension once you are in Canada.

Yes, lease agreements will help. But try to gather more. Just a lease agreement may not be enough. Do you own a vehicle? Do you provide for your family? Are you a caretaker of any sort? Any other organizations you are part of? Doctors' appointments, etc.

maylin

Jun 6, 2016
Thanks for your suggestions..unfortunately I don't have any of those going for me, makes me worried cos I wanna provide a strong case for myself. I wouldn't want to get rejected and have to apply all over again..

Are there any other ways I can prove I will return to Malaysia?

What would you suggest for the invitation letter from my bf, is it necessary for me to include it, what should he detail in the letter, would it help if in case I might not have the sufficient funds for the trip (how much would I need btw for 3 weeks) that I mention my bf will pay for some of my expenses too?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
maylin said:
Are we looking at the past 10years?
Yes. I think it would also help for you to point out those travels when you did so together with your boyfriend.

I've heard of a few recent cases of TRVs getting granted even if they're unemployed and don't have too many assets and ties. Just show as many of your own finances and that of your boyfriend's to prove that he will support you during your visit. Include a detailed day-to-day itinerary of your trip.