+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

help needed - supporting documents for spousal sponsorship application

Grlv0013

Jan 10, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am just looking for some help with the supporting documents listed below for the application, and also I would appreciate your opinions on how this all looks and if we maybe should add something else.

Proof of relationship to sponsor:

1. Rental agreement showing sponsor as a leaseholder and me, PA, as an occupant

2. We do not have any joint utility accounts, but we do have a joint savings & joint credit card. I was not very sure how to better include those: I was thinking to ask the bank for letters stating when the accounts were opened and who the account holders are, and also attach some statements (not sure about the time frame though, should the statements be recent or old, or both?)

3. Sponsor has driver’s license and I have Photo ID showing the same address

4. We do have plenty of individual bills showing the same address, same question as for #2 – should those be recent?

5. Documents showing we are recognized as each other’s spouse: I have work benefits that also cover my spouse (sponsor) and he is also one of the beneficiaries in my TFSA (along with my parents). That’s all we’ve got, is it enough? Is it ok, that a sponsor does not have any work benefits to include me on?

6. Shared expenses: tough one. As I said above, we do have a joint savings account, and we pay for our bills from there, but how would I show that? Statements again? We also went to vacation last fall and bought the tickets using our joint credit card, however on the tickets there is my name for account holder (as I am the primary holder). I was thinking to attach the tickets and the statement from joint credit card showing this transaction just to show it was purchased jointly, would that be enough?

7. We’ll ask couple friends and parents of both sides to write the letters.

Also, maybe you guys know, what document can I add to show that we were claiming our taxes as common law for the last couple years (I thought about T1 but it’s so long!)? I know they only ask for the most recent notice of assessment from sponsor, but I thought maybe there is something else we should add? By the way, if we send the application before we claim our 2017 taxes this year, the most recent notice would be for 2016, is that fine?

And the last question just in case anybody was in the same situation: for the country specific requirements, I need to include my labour book from back home. I came to Canada when I was 18, so I did not really work a lot back home, however I did some short part-time jobs, nothing important, like helping in the store and staff, and so I do have the labour book. But during my numerous applications for visas, study permits and all those fun staff, I did not mention those jobs, because I did not think they were important and honestly I don’t even remember what exactly those jobs were. Of course, I want to give them all the documents they ask for, but I am just worried this will cause some trouble as I never mentioned those work experiences in other applications.

Thank you all in advance for your time and help!

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hello everyone,

I am just looking for some help with the supporting documents listed below for the application, and also I would appreciate your opinions on how this all looks and if we maybe should add something else.

2. We do not have any joint utility accounts, but we do have a joint savings & joint credit card. I was not very sure how to better include those: I was thinking to ask the bank for letters stating when the accounts were opened and who the account holders are, and also attach some statements (not sure about the time frame though, should the statements be recent or old, or both?)

4. We do have plenty of individual bills showing the same address, same question as for #2 – should those be recent?

5. Documents showing we are recognized as each other’s spouse: I have work benefits that also cover my spouse (sponsor) and he is also one of the beneficiaries in my TFSA (along with my parents). That’s all we’ve got, is it enough? Is it ok, that a sponsor does not have any work benefits to include me on?

6. Shared expenses: tough one. As I said above, we do have a joint savings account, and we pay for our bills from there, but how would I show that? Statements again? We also went to vacation last fall and bought the tickets using our joint credit card, however on the tickets there is my name for account holder (as I am the primary holder). I was thinking to attach the tickets and the statement from joint credit card showing this transaction just to show it was purchased jointly, would that be enough?

Also, maybe you guys know, what document can I add to show that we were claiming our taxes as common law for the last couple years (I thought about T1 but it’s so long!)? I know they only ask for the most recent notice of assessment from sponsor, but I thought maybe there is something else we should add? By the way, if we send the application before we claim our 2017 taxes this year, the most recent notice would be for 2016, is that fine?

And the last question just in case anybody was in the same situation: for the country specific requirements, I need to include my labour book from back home. I came to Canada when I was 18, so I did not really work a lot back home, however I did some short part-time jobs, nothing important, like helping in the store and staff, and so I do have the labour book. But during my numerous applications for visas, study permits and all those fun staff, I did not mention those jobs, because I did not think they were important and honestly I don’t even remember what exactly those jobs were. Of course, I want to give them all the documents they ask for, but I am just worried this will cause some trouble as I never mentioned those work experiences in other applications.

Some useful reading here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousal_Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ_-_New_Application_Forms#Item_7:_We_don.27t_have_a_lease_or_utilities_with_both_our_names_on_it._What_do_we_do.3F

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
In regards to the taxes thing.... There is a summary sheet available somewhere..try the CRA website. Both you and your partner would have a summary sheet and you each would be named on your each others summary We sent few years worth of them for something to be recognized as each others CL partners.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

Hi

2. Don't bother with a letter. Include a selection of statements since opening the account.

4. As above, selection of bills.

5. Many people don't have work benefits, not an issue.

6. Not tough at all. A shared bank account and credit card clearly shows shared expenses.

Include a letter of explanation about the labour book.