+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help needed!! Regarding student visa

kreop

Nov 26, 2016
Hello, I just recently found out (I know, I'm stupid) that I am supposed to work only 20 hours a week off campus. Nothing was specified on my student visa nor was I told about it at all so I did not think too much of it. I have been working 20+ hour shifts for a few months now... I just recently changed my hours. Will I get caught when applying for PR or post graduation work permit? I understand that this is completely my fault. Just want to know if I still have a chance. Thanks.

humdard

Star Member
Jul 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2016
IELTS Request
Submitted along with the application
Med's Request
17-10-2016
Med's Done....
18-10-2016
Interview........
Not needed at this time
Passport Req..
Submitted along with application
VISA ISSUED...
09-01-2017 ( by god's grace)
LANDED..........
Inshallah
kreop said:
Hello, I just recently found out (I know, I'm stupid) that I am supposed to work only 20 hours a week off campus. Nothing was specified on my student visa nor was I told about it at all so I did not think too much of it. I have been working 20+ hour shifts for a few months now... I just recently changed my hours. Will I get caught when applying for PR or post graduation work permit? I understand that this is completely my fault. Just want to know if I still have a chance. Thanks.
If u need an expert advise, I would suggest that u should consult with a consultant or lawyer who has experience as lot of people in this group usually post queries about the student visa. :)

kreop

Nov 26, 2016
Thank you! I am planning on doing that, was just curious if anyone else has been in my situation :eek:

chrbrow

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

So long as you're registered as a full-time student you're permitted to work off-campus up to 20 hours per week. This includes time when your school is on break. If you exceed the off-campus work hours then you will fail to comply with the terms and conditions of your study permit and you could be considered "non-compliant".

Bottom line is that by working more than the 20 maximum hours you are risking losing your whole study permit. This will also have a negative effect for any other future applications for CIC. You will be flagged. My advice is to follow the rule and cut back your hours right away.

If you are in your final term of study, within 90 days of graduation, you can apply for a post-graduation work permit which will extend your working conditions. If you are about to graduate and haven't thought of that, then now is the time.

Maybe this answers your question

kreop

Nov 26, 2016
chrbrow said:
Hello,

So long as you're registered as a full-time student you're permitted to work off-campus up to 20 hours per week. This includes time when your school is on break. If you exceed the off-campus work hours then you will fail to comply with the terms and conditions of your study permit and you could be considered "non-compliant".

Bottom line is that by working more than the 20 maximum hours you are risking losing your whole study permit. This will also have a negative effect for any other future applications for CIC. You will be flagged. My advice is to follow the rule and cut back your hours right away.

If you are in your final term of study, within 90 days of graduation, you can apply for a post-graduation work permit which will extend your working conditions. If you are about to graduate and haven't thought of that, then now is the time.

Maybe this answers your question
Thanks! I recently changed my hours to 20 a week and haven't gotten caught yet. Is there a chance that CIC would find out once I apply for my PGWP? I know I messed up. I should have done more research when I got my SIN and student visa.

chrbrow

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So long as you are not exceeding the allowable working hours when you apply for PGWP you should be ok. The law states that you must cease immediately if you break the conditions of your permit, which under the study permit you have must not exceed 20 hours of work per week. Recall that the rationale for having students be able to work off campus while studying is not to support yourself financially, but to provide opportunities for students like yourself to gather Canadian work experience and contacts so you will have a clearer path to life after graduation (i.e. PR)

Having said that, you MUST have a valid study permit to apply for PGWP so best obey all the rules of that first.

Chris

kreop

Nov 26, 2016
chrbrow said:
So long as you are not exceeding the allowable working hours when you apply for PGWP you should be ok. The law states that you must cease immediately if you break the conditions of your permit, which under the study permit you have must not exceed 20 hours of work per week. Recall that the rationale for having students be able to work off campus while studying is not to support yourself financially, but to provide opportunities for students like yourself to gather Canadian work experience and contacts so you will have a clearer path to life after graduation (i.e. PR)

Having said that, you MUST have a valid study permit to apply for PGWP so best obey all the rules of that first.

Chris
Thanks! Here's hoping that they don't look too much in my past employment hours. Appreciate your help!

chrbrow

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you apply I would include a letter outlining your confusion with the 20 hours per week requirement. Indicate you stopped immediately once you found out, and that there is clear evidence of that. What is worse is if CIC finds out that you have not disclosed information. It counts as an inadmissible check, which would automatically disqualify you. So by you writing a letter admitting fault, will help secure a reference point for CIC

kreop

Nov 26, 2016
chrbrow said:
When you apply I would include a letter outlining your confusion with the 20 hours per week requirement. Indicate you stopped immediately once you found out, and that there is clear evidence of that. What is worse is if CIC finds out that you have not disclosed information. It counts as an inadmissible check, which would automatically disqualify you. So by you writing a letter admitting fault, will help secure a reference point for CIC
Yeah I think I'll do that. Do you think they'd be lenient?

chrbrow

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I really think the two issues are mutually exclusive, or at least will be under the eyes of the law. You are more likely to have your study permit revoked before having your PGWP declined. Here's what the regs say:

Non-compliance

Students who fail to comply with the terms and conditions of their study permits are considered non-compliant. Students who become ineligible and who do not cease working would be violating the conditions of their study permit. Non-compliance may also result in enforcement action taken by the Canada Border Services Agency, or invalidation of the study permit. It may also negatively affect future applications made under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its regulations.

kreop

Nov 26, 2016
chrbrow said:
I really think the two issues are mutually exclusive, or at least will be under the eyes of the law. You are more likely to have your study permit revoked before having your PGWP declined. Here's what the regs say:

Non-compliance

Students who fail to comply with the terms and conditions of their study permits are considered non-compliant. Students who become ineligible and who do not cease working would be violating the conditions of their study permit. Non-compliance may also result in enforcement action taken by the Canada Border Services Agency, or invalidation of the study permit. It may also negatively affect future applications made under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its regulations.
Yeah that is fair. Do you know if there would be any way to appeal it potentially? Or once revoked, I won't be allowed to apply for a PGWP or PR?

chrbrow

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello again,

I am not sure if you will be able to legally appeal it since you did actually break the conditions of your study permit. The one card you have to play is that you did this unknowingly and unintentionally. If it came down to it, could you prove that? How would you prove you were unaware? - keeping in mind it is your responsibility to comply with the rules of the study permit. That why I believe by providing a letter, might be the only and best way to admit fault while at the same time providing formal evidence that you were unaware. What is MOST important is that you can prove you are currently working less than 20 hours per week and that it is reflected immediately with the date of which you found out. Honesty is the best practice, and if you were truly unaware, and didn't let it continue for a long period of time, I think you will be OK

chrbrow

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also:

An officer shall not issue a work permit to a foreign national if:
the foreign national has engaged in unauthorized study or work in Canada or has failed to comply with a condition of a previous permit or authorization unless:
(i) a period of six months has elapsed since the cessation of the unauthorized work or study or failure to comply with a condition

Will it have been 6 months when you apply for your PGWP?

kreop

Nov 26, 2016
chrbrow said:
Also:

An officer shall not issue a work permit to a foreign national if:
the foreign national has engaged in unauthorized study or work in Canada or has failed to comply with a condition of a previous permit or authorization unless:
(i) a period of six months has elapsed since the cessation of the unauthorized work or study or failure to comply with a condition

Will it have been 6 months when you apply for your PGWP?
It would be around 5 and a half months. But I believe I have to apply for a PGWP within 90 days of receiving written confirmation from my institution indicating that I have met the requirements for completing my academic program. So should I essentially delay the application process for a week or two?

chrbrow

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you definitely should.

Also, should you ever be found inadmissible on the grounds the you violated to conditions of your study permit (by working more than 20 hrs. per week) you can appeal and cite R200(3)(e)(i). So long as you can prove 6 months has passed since you breached the conditions of your permit.