+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP NEEDED!!! live-in caregiver:employers letting me go

eilahs23

Star Member
Apr 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi I am a live-in caregiver I already finish a 2 year contract with my employer. I still have 1 year and 8 months remaining on my contract because they extend it for another 2 years. The reason that they extend my contract is to wait for my OWP. Now my employers are letting me go due that I already receive my Open Work Permit. My work ended today Nov. 30, 2012. I will stay with my employer until the end of December 2012. They will give me allowance for the month of December but they will not pay for my tax so I will be unemployed for a month. I am applying for jobs right now and putting a start date of January 1, 2013.

The concerns are:
1. Is termination of the contract will affect my Permanent residency application?
2. Is being unemployed for a month will also affect my application for Residency?
3. Is my open work permit will be terminated if I will not have a job for a month or 2 months?

Hope you can help me with this things. Thank you in advance and bless all of you.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
No to all three questions. You can start looking for a job now that they have terminated your contract. Good thing is you can start work right away once you found employer/s (you can work for more than one, any job type), no need for LMOs.

eilahs23 said:
Hi I am a live-in caregiver I already finish a 2 year contract with my employer. I still have 1 year and 8 months remaining on my contract because they extend it for another 2 years. The reason that they extend my contract is to wait for my OWP. Now my employers are letting me go due that I already receive my Open Work Permit. My work ended today Nov. 30, 2012. I will stay with my employer until the end of December 2012. They will give me allowance for the month of December but they will not pay for my tax so I will be unemployed for a month. I am applying for jobs right now and putting a start date of January 1, 2013.

The concerns are:
1. Is termination of the contract will affect my Permanent residency application?
2. Is being unemployed for a month will also affect my application for Residency?
3. Is my open work permit will be terminated if I will not have a job for a month or 2 months?

Hope you can help me with this things. Thank you in advance and bless all of you.

VILLAGEHUA

Star Member
Jan 23, 2010
Hi eilahs23,
I wonder is your open work permit expiration date ? is that same date as your live in caregiver work permit? If our open work permit expir before we receive PR, can we just extend a new OWP w/o LMO? or anyone knows? Thank you!

eilahs23

Star Member
Apr 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@VILLAGEHUA ---my work permit for live-in caregiver already expired but my open work permit will expire nov. 26, 2016 so its a 4 year term open work permit and I guess by that time I already got my permanent residency...i read in the forum that you will just submit a form for open work permit extention without any other requirements just a copy of the old open work permit but not a 100 sure about that. Hope somebody can help you with that. sorry have a good day always