Doc's Request.
03-12-2016
Nomination.....
17-12-2016
AOR Received.
18-08-2016
Med's Request
Medicals Passed
Hello everyone, It seems like a herculean task sitting in a different country and searching for Jobs in Canada; impossible in fact.

It would be a great help if you are already in Canada and could help with references, job postings that you see locally, or through word-of-mouth, etc.

Please throw some light on this idea. Thanks In Advance.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bishgop said:
Hello everyone, It seems like a herculean task sitting in a different country and searching for Jobs in Canada; impossible in fact.

It would be a great help if you are already in Canada and could help with references, job postings that you see locally, or through word-of-mouth, etc.

Please throw some light on this idea. Thanks In Advance.
It's true. Other than simply signing up for the Job Center, you can start by researching companies in Canada in the area you would like to work in. Send resumes, call and speak to people. You are unlikely to get a job that way, but you are making yourself known. If you are looking for a job in an area where there is great demand and few applicants, you might really be able to persuade a company to apply for an LMIA for you.

You can also come to Canada on a tourist visa and look for jobs. Of course, you can't actually begin working in one until you have proper status. But searching, interviewing, having coffee with people in your field, getting tips on available positions, are all allowed.

When I came to Canada in late 2012, I was ready for a career switch. I wanted to be a literary agent for screenwriters, directors, etc. in the film industry. My degree was in music, and my experience in teaching ESL and in journalism. It took me 14 months, hundreds of resumes, dozens of meetings and a few frustrating times when I made the short list but was ultimately not hired until I got my job - but I got it. As the common-law partner of a grad student in Toronto, I had an open work permit already, and of course that helped. But I began my inquiries while still in Europe - and then called the same people to meet for coffee when I arrived in Toronto. Eventually, a person I had met that way gave me a tip on a job at another agency that had just become available but had not yet been advertised, and I got that job.

I never expected it to take 14 months, and those were very hard times, but persistence and determination made it happen.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
what you need to keep in mind is that, even when you're here and legally allowed to work, its still going to be tough. No one walks into their dream job straight away. You might have the best experience in the world but in Canada, its more important to have Canadian experience. Networking is ridiculously important. Get on LinkedIn, make connections with people who work in the area you do and follow up with them when you arrive. They can give you pointers on how that industry works in Canada. And some will have knowledge on positions before they're advertised. Also remember that a lot of the positions you see advertised will already be given to someone else and they're going through the motions posting it (for ex. job posting requirements to submit LMIA applications). In Canada you need to be proactive. Submitting online applications is a waste of time, they get hundreds and they're only going to contact the people who stand out or make themselves noticeable/memorable. Before you come here you should do some research into the Canadian business culture; what is expected of you, etiquette post interview etc.

f1ahmed

Nov 26, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-07-2015
AOR Received.
13-07-2015
Med's Done....
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
30-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2016
LANDED..........
18-02-2016
purplesnow said:
what you need to keep in mind is that, even when you're here and legally allowed to work, its still going to be tough. No one walks into their dream job straight away. You might have the best experience in the world but in Canada, its more important to have Canadian experience. Networking is ridiculously important. Get on LinkedIn, make connections with people who work in the area you do and follow up with them when you arrive. They can give you pointers on how that industry works in Canada. And some will have knowledge on positions before they're advertised. Also remember that a lot of the positions you see advertised will already be given to someone else and they're going through the motions posting it (for ex. job posting requirements to submit LMIA applications). In Canada you need to be proactive. Submitting online applications is a waste of time, they get hundreds and they're only going to contact the people who stand out or make themselves noticeable/memorable. Before you come here you should do some research into the Canadian business culture; what is expected of you, etiquette post interview etc.
So true...

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
purplesnow said:
I totally agree about the networking. It's how you find jobs here, so you have to meet people in your industry and make a good impression - and then they will let you know when there are openings in your field. And you have to network like a Canadian - know what to say and what not to say, how to dress and act like a Canadian. They are friendly people, they really are, but, frankly, they are not very open to non-Canadian ways of doing things. So learn what they expect from someone looking for a job and give it to them, and with persistence and luck you'll get an offer.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah I should also have added, a lot of jobs go to someone who was recommended for the position. Carachter references count so you need those connections to be put forward for jobs.