+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help needed for minor child visa

pooja1682

Dec 11, 2016
I'm a single mother working in Canada on Post Graduate work permit. My work permit is valid till august 2019.

My minor child (9 year old) is currently living in India. I want my child to come and live with me in Canada. Is there any dependent category in which I can apply for his visa?

Previously he had a multi-entry tourist visa (granted in 2014 for 2 years), on which he visited me for 1 month in 2015, but his passport expired and we had to apply for a new passport and new tourist visa. This time they granted tourist visa valid for only for 2 months (probably because my explanation letter stated that my child wants to come for a short trip of 1 month).

Can someone please suggest what is the correct way for applying for my minor child's visa so that he can stay with me until the expiry of my work permit?

- Should I apply for TRV again requesting a long duration visa?
- or Should I apply for work permit for my child?

I really appreciate any suggestions and opinions.

pooja1682

Dec 11, 2016
Thanks a lot @[canuck_in_uk]

Do I need to get admission in a local school first for my minor child?

In the come to Canada wizard, there is a question: "Have you been accepted to a designated learning institution?"

If I answer no, it shows ineligible. If I answer yes, then only it shows eligible for study permit.

So, do I need to go to a local primary school and try to get admission for the child (before he comes to Canada)?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/minors-documents.asp

Important: Generally, those applying for a study permit, including those at the primary or secondary school level, need to provide a letter of acceptance from the applicable educational institution in Canada. Applicants may provide either the original letter of acceptance or an electronic version.

There is one exception to this requirement: Minor children who are accompanying a family member who has applied and been approved for a work or study permit before entering Canada do not need to provide a letter of acceptance from an educational institution.

Say yes and include a letter of explanation in place.

pooja1682

Dec 11, 2016
Thank you so much @canuck_in_uk

Another question:
On the same page http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/minors-documents.asp , there is a table below in which: "if the child is ..." "alone or with a parent who is a temporary resident and has a study or work permit" : "Study permit required" is NO.

Since I have a work permit, it seems like my child doesn't mandatorily need a Study permit in order to get admission in school (in-fact when my child came to visit me in 2015 for one month, I got him admitted in the local school, it was straight-forward).

So, even though study permit is not mandatory (to get admission in school), should I still apply for Study permit? Or should I apply for tourist visa?

Sorry if it seems like a repetition of question, I am little confused and worried.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
pooja1682 said:
So, even though study permit is not mandatory (to get admission in school), should I still apply for Study permit? Or should I apply for tourist visa?

Sorry if it seems like a repetition of question, I am little confused and worried.
Though it isn't mandatory to apply for a study permit, if you are planning for the child to come long-term, applying for a study permit generally has a better chance of success than a TRV.

pooja1682

Dec 11, 2016
Thanks a lot @canuck_in_uk. You are very helpful.

One final question:
The tourist visa which my minor received last month is valid till 1st jan 2017. Some of the consultants I talked to recommended to get my child inside Canada on that tourist visa right away and then apply for a tourist visa extension. Do you think that's a good idea?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
pooja1682 said:
Thanks a lot @canuck_in_uk. You are very helpful.

One final question:
The tourist visa which my minor received last month is valid till 1st jan 2017. Some of the consultants I talked to recommended to get my child inside Canada on that tourist visa right away and then apply for a tourist visa extension. Do you think that's a good idea?
OK, so you never actually mentioned that the child currently has a valid TRV. Your initial post suggested the child's TRV had already expired.

He can come to Canada now as a visitor. Before his visitor status expires, you can apply for an extension. If you include a copy of your work permit, he should be granted an extension to match your permit.

Blessing1

Star Member
Jul 26, 2015
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland.....CIO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2014
Doc's Request.
Upfront
Nomination.....
28-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-12-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
5 Jan, 2016
LANDED..........
15 Jan, 2016.
canuck_in_uk said:
OK, so you never actually mentioned that the child currently has a valid TRV. Your initial post suggested the child's TRV had already expired.

He can come to Canada now as a visitor. Before his visitor status expires, you can apply for an extension. If you include a copy of your work permit, he should be granted an extension to match your permit.
Very correct. My child came to Canada as a visitor but we applied to extend the stay from inside Canada. They gave her a visitors record to match with my work permit. Get your child here as soon as possible. One last thing, once the child enters Canada he does not need a study permit to go to school. Regards

pooja1682

Dec 11, 2016
Thanks a lot @canuck_in_uk.

I got my child in Canada last week (before his existing TRV expiration). Also at the border I got visitor record for him matching my work permit expiration (till august 2019).

Your advice was really valuable and helpful. Thanks again.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
pooja1682 said:
Thanks a lot @canuck_in_uk.

I got my child in Canada last week (before his existing TRV expiration). Also at the border I got visitor record for him matching my work permit expiration (till august 2019).

Your advice was really valuable and helpful. Thanks again.
Good to hear!

paps82

Dec 21, 2017
Hi Pooja,

Am also in same boat. I recently got a work permit[w-1 category] for Canada valid for 2 years via Global Skill Strategy stream [1] . I need to join on Feb 12th for 2017. My NOC code is B.

[1] https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/hire-foreign-worker/temporary/global-skills-strategy.html

But i didn't applied for my wife and 5 year old son at the time of my application submission due to travel and last minute rush to avoid all of our three application get reject.

Now am applying an open work permit for your spouse and a study permit for your son.

If i choose study permit on the documentation check list its asking for proof of school admission but we don't get any admission on any school in canada for my son. Could you help me what you option you selected for the below question

"Why is your family member visiting Canada? "

From the drop down its make sense only either of below three options.

Visit - Tourism
Visit - All other Types
Study - More than Six Months (what i selected currently)

Shayne ey

Jul 21, 2018
Hi Ms. Pooja,

Can you help me to prepare or make a invitatio letter?
Can you share your invitation letter that you've submitted to embassy. We want to apply for tourist visa for our 4 yrs old child and my husband working permit is until Jan. 2020. We have no idea on how to start or make an invitation letter. Pls help us. Thank you

aman16`

Aug 22, 2019
hi
Me n my wife on work permits in canada from april 2019.we applied visitor visa for our 4 yrs old son twice ,but refused both time.
can anyone help us how we bring our son to canada??

Last edited: