+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help Needed for a Beginner in an IT field in Vancouver BC

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have already canceled the other one, how long can I stay until I get accepted in another study? Do I have to apply for a study permit?
You need a new study permit as you should have started your studies (finished a semester) and then change schools. IRCC has cracked down on people who change their programs as soon as they land.

Reactions: YVR123

Muskan28

Star Member
Dec 16, 2020
You need a new study permit as you should have started your studies (finished a semester) and then change schools. IRCC has cracked down on people who change their programs as soon as they land.
Does 9return your status as a student) implies on me?

thaovy99

Jun 26, 2019
No I didn't start. I had to pay a lot of money in order to start.
Then you will have to pay and enroll in that school for at least 1 semester before changing school.

If you don't want to pay and enroll, you will need to apply for a new study permit.

The new policy is targeting people just like you who want to change school as soon as you are in Canada. So there are your 2 options, it's up to you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You have to start the program and be actively studying which means completing at least a semester. Then you change you change your DLI. As said, IRCC has cracked down on people who come into Canada on a permit approved for their “original” DLI, and then want to change to a cheaper, private or different program. If you had wanted to change DLIs, you should have applied for a new study permit before entering Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Then you need to apply for a brand new study permit. You can't use the study permit you have now to switch schools.

Muskan28

Star Member
Dec 16, 2020
That's just silly, if I can change it before entering Canada, then not being able to change it after! IRCC can't they make it any harder on students?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
That's just silly, if I can change it before entering Canada, then not being able to change it after! IRCC can't they make it any harder on students?
You can’t change it before entering Canada. You would have applied for a new study permit before coming to Canada.

• Angry
Reactions: Muskan28

Muskan28

Star Member
Dec 16, 2020
You can’t change it before entering Canada. You would have applied for a new study permit before coming to Canada.
I'm sorry but you are so wrong, I have two of my friends who recently started their studies. One of them changed his studies before he enters Canada, the other one changed it after he came to Canada, both of them without having to apply for a new one, all they did was to update the DLI info on their online account. You need to have proof other than just say what you like.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I'm sorry but you are so wrong, I have two of my friends who recently started their studies. One of them changed his studies before he enters Canada, the other one changed it after he came to Canada, both of them without having to apply for a new one, all they did was to update the DLI info on their online account. You need to have proof other than just say what you like.
No. It is a new rule over the past few months. If friends are getting the permit without actively studying first then IRCC is letting it pass for now.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Can you provide the official link from the IRCC website that says you can? Because according to IRCC:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

If you change schools and don’t tell us
Your old school will report you as not being registered to study. If this happens:

• you’re breaking the conditions of your study permit
  • you may be asked to leave the country
  • this may prevent you from coming to Canada in the future
    • For example, you may not be approved for another study or work permit in the future.
Changing your DLI if you’re outside Canada
If you change your DLI before coming to Canada and you don’t let us know, you won’t be allowed to board your flight.

If your application is still in progress
You can tell us you changed your DLI by submitting a new letter of acceptance using the IRCC web form.

If your application has been approved
If your application for a study permit has been approved and you change your DLI, you must submit a new study permit application with a new letter of acceptance.

You must also pay all the fees for the new application.

Always rely on the official IRCC statement to be safe.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
When was this? Was this in May or very early June? IRCC introduced new rules sometime in early June (I believe that's when the changes were made). One of these includes the fact that you must show you are "actively studying while you’re in Canada" before changing your school and program. We've already seen a few people here run into issues with this rule who have newly arrived in Canada and want to switch schools without having completed any studies with their first institution. IRCC has told them they need a new study permit because they didn't actively study.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

Muskan28

Star Member
Dec 16, 2020
Can you provide the official link from the IRCC website that says you can? Because according to IRCC:

If you change schools and don’t tell us
Your old school will report you as not being registered to study. If this happens:

• you’re breaking the conditions of your study permit
  • you may be asked to leave the country
  • this may prevent you from coming to Canada in the future
    • For example, you may not be approved for another study or work permit in the future.
Changing your DLI if you’re outside Canada
If you change your DLI before coming to Canada and you don’t let us know, you won’t be allowed to board your flight.

If your application is still in progress
You can tell us you changed your DLI by submitting a new letter of acceptance using the IRCC web form.

If your application has been approved
If your application for a study permit has been approved and you change your DLI, you must submit a new study permit application with a new letter of acceptance.

You must also pay all the fees for the new application.

Always rely on the official IRCC statement to be safe.
From the same page that you cut it and only showed half of the info, see below:

Post-secondary students changing schools
If you change post-secondary schools, the school you plan to change to must also be a DLI. Please check the DLI list and confirm your new school is a DLI before you commit to changing schools.

You must tell us each time you change post-secondary schools. Changing the post-secondary school on your account is a free service.

You don’t need to apply to change your study permit if you are changing schools.

Post-secondary studies include:

• university
  • community college, CEGEP, institute
  • private university, career college, academy, school or training institution and
  • ESL/FSL and other language training

Muskan28

Star Member
Dec 16, 2020
When was this? Was this in May or very early June? IRCC introduced new rules sometime in early June (I believe that's when the changes were made). One of these includes the fact that you must show you are "actively studying while you’re in Canada" before changing your school and program. We've already seen a few people here run into issues with this rule who have newly arrived in Canada and want to switch schools without having completed any studies with their first institution. IRCC has told them they need a new study permit because they didn't actively study.

This rule that says: you need to be actively studying was there since 2019. I have below link that you can see this info was on the IRCC website since 2019 and before. so it is not new.

https://www.mycism.com/2019/10/can-i-change-schools-while-im-in-canada/