+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help Needed for a Beginner in an IT field in Vancouver BC

Muskan28

Star Member
Dec 16, 2020
Hey guys, so I have arrived in Canada with student visa recently but decided to change my studies, I want to start with the basics of IT, maybe Computer Science or anything that's related to Help Desk Support as I have two year experience in this help desk field in my home country but my university degree is in another field (I got the job as a volunteer at first then as an intern position). What is your best advise and which college is best for an IT study in Vancouver area? I want something one year full time (or less as long as it is considered one full year for PGWP) and the college to be eligible for PGWP.

Muskan28

Star Member
Dec 16, 2020
Anyone else have any idea about one year Certificate programs in IT field in the Vancouver area?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Anyone else have any idea about one year Certificate programs in IT field in the Vancouver area?
I’m not from BC, I am from Ontario. However, IMHO, don’t expect too much from certificates or diplomas. Everybody knows that most (I’m not saying all) international students are just after the PGWP to get that valuable Canadian experience to qualify for CEC. While Vancouver and Toronto are located at the far east and west of Canada, they belong to the top most destination spots for new immigrants. As such, job opportunities are very competitive due to the number of available applicants. The IT field has become too saturated, not only with new international student graduates, but with newly landed PRs as well. Again, cases may be different, but, in my case, I got accepted in an IT job not because I have a Canadian diploma. I was accepted because I was able to prove during interview that I can do the job due to my prior experience. I highly doubt you would get a job in IT simply because of a certificate or diploma. Some companies would even ask you to submit to an actual test to prove your knowledge before short-listing you.

Just my two-cents...

Muskan28

Star Member
Dec 16, 2020
I’m not from BC, I am from Ontario. However, IMHO, don’t expect too much from certificates or diplomas. Everybody knows that most (I’m not saying all) international students are just after the PGWP to get that valuable Canadian experience to qualify for CEC. While Vancouver and Toronto are located at the far east and west of Canada, they belong to the top most destination spots for new immigrants. As such, job opportunities are very competitive due to the number of available applicants. The IT field has become too saturated, not only with new international student graduates, but with newly landed PRs as well. Again, cases may be different, but, in my case, I got accepted in an IT job not because I have a Canadian diploma. I was accepted because I was able to prove during interview that I can do the job due to my prior experience. I highly doubt you would get a job in IT simply because of a certificate or diploma. Some companies would even ask you to submit to an actual test to prove your knowledge before short-listing you.

Just my two-cents...
Thank you for you reply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You're going to need to apply for a new study permit if you are switching schools and switching programs.

A one year program is generally a bad plan if your objective is PR.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
A 1 year program with no previous work experience will not help. There are so many computer science and software engineering bachelor and master grads. Most help desk jobs have been out sourced to other places outside of Canada.

Muskan28

Star Member
Dec 16, 2020
You're going to need to apply for a new study permit if you are switching schools and switching programs.

A one year program is generally a bad plan if your objective is PR.
But that is not what IRCC website says. It clearly states that you can change you school or program without applying for a study permit, you just need to update the DLI information on the online account.

See here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools/account.html

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
But that is not what IRCC website says. It clearly states that you can change you school or program without applying for a study permit, you just need to update the DLI information on the online account.

See here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools/account.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

You skipped to the accounts page. Read the requirements. Assume you are actively studying at your current DLI and then you can change schools. So do a semester or year, and then change.

Muskan28

Star Member
Dec 16, 2020

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

You need to read further. New rules have recently been introduced. Since you haven't started your studies, you will need to get a new study permit to change schools and programs.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html