+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! Misrepresentation of my marital status???????. pls

snack_pepsi

Mar 5, 2017
Hi guys,

My story is that I married and then officially divorced a guy in my back home 10 yrs ago. Then I moved to Canada as a student permit in 2012. The problem here is that I filled my marital status in all my application (study permit, work permit, marriage license, etc..) is SINGL E. Then now, I officially married another guy in Canada and we both have two kids and living in Canada. Now he wants to sponsor me. We are filling the application and there is a part that requires me to mention all of my marriage ( the previous one, of course). So what should I do now? Should I hide my previous marriage to be consistent with my entire document prior? How can CIC check my previous marriage back home? Or should I tell the truth and be honest? But I am afraid that CIC can refuse my application because of misrepresentation?
Thank u very much.

wildemam

Nov 10, 2015
GTA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should consult a lawyer to understand your options, which will be all hard.

I_Miss_Him

Star Member
May 22, 2016
Visa Office......
Beirut
App. Filed.......
December 2015
AOR Received.
January 2016
Med's Done....
upfront
Interview........
June 2016
Passport Req..
12-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
16-06-2017
snack_pepsi said:
Hi guys,

My story is that I married and then officially divorced a guy in my back home 10 yrs ago. Then I moved to Canada as a student permit in 2012. The problem here is that I filled my marital status in all my application (study permit, work permit, marriage license, etc..) is SINGL E. Then now, I officially married another guy in Canada and we both have two kids and living in Canada. Now he wants to sponsor me. We are filling the application and there is a part that requires me to mention all of my marriage ( the previous one, of course). So what should I do now? Should I hide my previous marriage to be consistent with my entire document prior? How can CIC check my previous marriage back home? Or should I tell the truth and be honest? But I am afraid that CIC can refuse my application because of misrepresentation?
Thank u very much.
When you filled your study permit application, you were officially divorced. This means you were single at that time and you did not lie.
On your sponsorship application, put that you are married to the Canadian guy. And under previous marriages, put that you were married and then divorced. No need to lie or hide your previous marriage. I am sure they ask on the application about the date you divorced your ex husband. It will then be clear, from the date, that at the time you submitted previous applications, you were already divorced, meaning you were single and you did not lie. Just be honest.

If you are still worried, I suggest you consult a lawyer. There are lawyers that give free advice at the immigration centre. Check at a local immigration centre (example catholic immigration centre) and ask them if they have a lawyer and about his/her schedule.

By the way, I just thought about this. When you filled your other applications, was there a "Divorced" option under marital status, but you chose "Single" instead? If that's the case, then you should consult a lawyer.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
I_Miss_Him said:
When you filled your study permit application, you were officially divorced. This means you were single at that time and you did not lie.
On your sponsorship application, put that you are married to the Canadian guy. And under previous marriages, put that you were married and then divorced. No need to lie or hide your previous marriage. I am sure they ask on the application about the date you divorced your ex husband. It will then be clear, from the date, that at the time you submitted previous applications, you were already divorced, meaning you were single and you did not lie. Just be honest.

If you are still worried, I suggest you consult a lawyer. There are lawyers that give free advice at the immigration centre. Check at a local immigration centre (example catholic immigration centre) and ask them if they have a lawyer and about his/her schedule.
I think they are referring to the fact that "divorce" is an option on the drop down for marital status.

To the original poster, the reason they ask this is they require proof of divorce if you are divorced. It wouldn't have affected your study permit IF you had that proof.

So, as long as you have the divorce proof, don't lie about anything. Just fill out the forms as if the study permit issue never occurred, and put "divorced" along with the proof required.

If they call you on it at an interview, you can worry about it then. It's unlikely they will even notice or care, it's not that big of a misrepresentation since it would not have affected the original study permit outcome (assuming you had the proof of divorce).

ArshaA

Apr 18, 2020
Hi guys,

Thank u very much.
Hi, what happened to your sponsorship application? What did you mention in the application?