+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help: Medical Insurance for Foreigners 24 years old!

cireufo

May 3, 2012
Hi everyone!

Firts of all I regret for my English which is not good. I have just got registred in this forum :p

I am an Italian guy coming to Montreal from September to January for a stage. I will have a student-visa and know how your health national system works.
So....here in Italy if any person (Italian people or foreigners) needs medical cares you don't have to pay nothing (only a few tax we call "ticket"). For this reason in my country there are not valid health insurance that would cover me decently. I found some good health insurances but they are all situated in Australia or outside Italy and I don't have feedbacks from anyone I know about them, indeed I don't trust them. I decided to write here because I hope you could give me some advice about getting an health insurance....

Could I get a medical insurance once arrived in Montreal? If yes, how many time wuold pass to have it "active"? Do you have any advice about which one condier and which one avoid?

I'm still sorry for my english

NB: Hope to improve it in montreal :p

EDIT: I forgot... does anyone know IHI Bupa? Does it exist in Canada? Thank a lot

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Cireufo!
You would need to get a 'Visitors to Canada' insurance, which would cover you for any emergencies while you stay here. If you buy it before you come to Canada, you will be covered from the day you arrive and if you buy it after your arrival, you will have a waiting period of 48 hours. You can get some quotes on our website: http://www.arbetovinsurance.com/visitorstocanada or you can email us at arbetov.office@gmail.com with your age and we will be able to send you all the information. Hope this helps

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Looking at http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrants-foreign-workers-students/health-insurance/Pages/eligibility.aspx it looks like foreign students are not covered under the Quebec health care system. In Canada, each province has their own system. Some provinces cover students and some don't so if you stay in Quebec, you will need to buy insurance for the whole time you are there. Maybe your university will offer a group insurance plan for foreign students. You could ask them.