+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help me - PR card expiring next month

manpreet4875

Star Member
Mar 27, 2011
My PR card is expiring next month. First time I entered canada in 2006 with my younger daughter ( below 2 years old at that time ). I am a single parent as I got divorced & custody is with me. Canadian embassy given me PR as well as for my daughter afters ubmitting child divorce & custody paper in 2006.
As my daughter was infant at that time I was not able to take care my daughter alone in canada , so i came back after a month. Here my mother helps to look after her.
Afterward I re-entered canada alone in 2009 & lived there for 2 months. As high economic recession was prevaling there at that time so I could not get a job there , so came back .
Now I want to enter canada for permanently to settle there as economic conditions have been improved. My daughter has also been grown up & she can live with my mother in india. After getting Job in canada I can call her as she is around 7 years now. It will be good for my child's future also.
Pls suggest will canadian immigration authority will give me a chance to settle there on the above grounds. My PR card is valid till Oct 20 next month. Will they extend my PR.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You could try to enter Canada before your PR card expires. The following could happen:

1) They report you for not meeting the residency requirements and you have to appeal for your PR.

2) They don't report you and you get in in which case, you have 2 options:
a) Try to renew your PR card. You will likely end up in appeal again as you don't meet the residency requirements.
b) Stay for 730 days without leaving or trying to renew and then renew. They must now renew, no appeal.

Or you can wait until after your PR card expires in which case you will need a travel document from the embassy if you want to return and which they will probably refuse as you don't meet the residency requirements but you could appeal for.

If you end up with an appeal, I do not think you have good chances because you do not have extraordinary circumstances. There are many single parents in Canada and somehow they manage to make it work.

manpreet4875

Star Member
Mar 27, 2011
What are the chances that immigration officer at the Port of entry allow you to enter without Report?

Is there any provision that they extend or renew the PR on the spot?

What kind of question they can ask me on POE?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From what I have heard from other people, I think the odds are pretty good that they will let you enter without filing a report. They may however say something to you about having lost your PR already etc. but if they don't report you, they will not revoke your PR.

If you want to make a H&C appeal to get your PR renewed right away, you would either tell the immigration officer when you enter that you do not meet the residency requirements and ask them to report you so you can appeal it or if you get in, just apply to renew your PR card right away. They can then either accept your reasons and give you a new PR card or refuse them and revoke your PR status.

They can ask you everything then want on POE but most likely they will ask you about how long you were outside Canada. If you say you left Canada in 2009 which is correct, they might not give you a problem because they may assume you lived in Canada since your landing and until 2009 which means you would meet the residency requirements.

manpreet4875

Star Member
Mar 27, 2011
I have not made my health card & driving licence in Canada. Suppose I got entered in Canada without get reported at POE then I will be bound to live there continuously approx 1 year & 10 months. As my PR card will expire in November this year & i will not be able to renew it till the time I complete my 730 days.
Will expired PR card will create problem in making health card , driving licence or even getting a job there. Pls suggest. I am having SIN card & a bank account there.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As long as you apply for your health card and drivers license while your PR card is still valid, you should be fine. You do not need the PR card in your daily life. An employer will only ask for your SIN card. If your number does not start with a 9, then it is a permanent SIN number given only to PR's and citizens and the employer will not worry about your status. If you ever need to show a PR card, just show the expired card and say that you have applied to renew but with the speed of immigration, it takes months and that is actually true.

manpreet4875

Star Member
Mar 27, 2011
Dear Leon
I am thankful to you for your prompt reply. I am planning to move on 10 th October next month. My PR is valid till Nov this year. As far as I know health card is made after you stay there three months. As my card will be expired in one month, then how I will make my health card?
Secondly If I show my expired PR card , can it put me in trouble as a PR resident who have not fulfilled residence obligation even after entring in Canada without get reported at POE.
Pls help me as I am tense for entering in Canada successfuly & afterward living there with expired PR card.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is very unlikely that anything will happen to you with your expired PR card once you are inside Canada. If you go to Alberta or several other provinces, you will get a health card right away. If you are set on going to one of the provinces that make you wait, you can apply beforehand but they will not send you the health card until the 3 month mark. Even if you come after 3 months with a freshly expired PR card, they will probably not have a problem if you say you are in the process of renewing it (which takes months).

manpreet4875

Star Member
Mar 27, 2011
Leon I am planning to move to Canada on 10th. So is it right to move there considering no risk if i got in without get reported? I will move to Toronto & immediately apply for my health card. Leon tell me one thing that if in future i need to show my expired PR card for some purpose like bank , for phone connection, for job. So I want to know that these people do not report this thing to immimgratin authority for expired card....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is not against any law to have an expired PR card or even no PR card at all. Do you have your landing papers? If you don't want to show your expired card, you can show your landing papers. You should not need a PR card for the bank, for the phone company or for a job. The only place that might ask for it is the driving license authority in some provinces but in Ontario, they do not require you to be a PR to get a license. In any case, take care of it before your card expires and you will be fine.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manpreet4875 said:
Dear Leon
Can I sponsor my youger daughter after reaching there...
If you want to play it safe, you would wait for 2 years but I have heard of people not meeting the residency requirements still sponsoring another person successfully so sponsoring might not mean that they start looking into if you meet the residency requirements or not.

manpreet4875

Star Member
Mar 27, 2011
Friends I am planning to travel on 10th of this month to Canada with a valid PR card but not meeting the residencey obligation. Pray that they allow me to enter without Report. I need your wishes. I will share my experience at Port of Entry after 10th.
I will welcome anybody who would like to gide & advise me on my situation.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I send you good wishes. It will be interesting to hear about your experience.

manpreet4875

Star Member
Mar 27, 2011
Dear Leon

Very thankful for your advise

I have reached canada. No one in India or Canada asked about PT. AT POE custom people have only asked that why you have come so late, I conveyed them that I could not come here becoz of my youger daughter. In india my mom is helping me to take care of her. Then they send to me on immgration. Immigration officer only see my PR card, custom papper & passport. Then he checked something from his computer. He did not asked any thing to me & put a stamp of canadian immigration on my passport as a PR & cleared me.
So how should I take it?? Also tell one thing that can i sponsor my daughter after few months? Also tell me that can i apply for renewing my PR card now? Also put your comments that this is purely safe now, so that i should resign from my Job in India....Pls peply...