+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

help, is this a red flag?

utena

Feb 9, 2015
Hello everyone, my wife is applying the spousal sponsorship immigration. this is our story:

We are a lesbian couple form a country where we can not get married.
when I applied for immigration in 2014, we have been dating for about 3 years.(1.5year in different cities, 1.5year in same city, but lived separately).
Since we could not get married nor live together, I applied as single, didn't mention her in my application. Our plan was-- I got approved first, then she applied for visitor visa, and we got married and live together in Canada, and apply for her immigration.

And we are doing it. Now as we writing our love story, we think maybe it's not a good idea to tell CIC what we planned?(me immigrate first, then she)
But we are a little afraid without proper explanation, will CIC doubted, why in 2014, when we had already been dating for 3 years, I applied immigration without any plan for her/ us together?
How should I describe /explain my immigration decision? Is this a red flag for us?
Thank you very much for any advise. :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
utena said:
, I applied as single, didn't mention her in my application. Our plan was-- I got approved first, then she applied for visitor visa, and we got married and live together in Canada, and apply for her immigration.
This is perfectly fine. At the time you applied for and landed as PR, you were not married and not common-law. So basically you were just girlfriends, which has no legal status and doesn't need to be mentioned in your PR app at the time.

You should have zero problems sponsoring her now that you are married.

However you really don't need to mention your "plan" of immigrating first and then sponsoring her after. All they are looking for now is proof that you are in a real relationship. How you immigrated here yourself is not really relevant.

utena

Feb 9, 2015
Rob_TO said:
This is perfectly fine. At the time you applied for and landed as PR, you were not married and not common-law. So basically you were just girlfriends, which has no legal status and doesn't need to be mentioned in your PR app at the time.

You should have zero problems sponsoring her now that you are married.

However you really don't need to mention your "plan" of immigrating first and then sponsoring her after. All they are looking for now is proof that you are in a real relationship. How you immigrated here yourself is not really relevant.
thank you~