+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP...I WILL CRY

Holy

Apr 24, 2011
Hi,
I really need help. I received a PNP certificate under the graduate master program. I was going to look for work but I got a really good opportunity (fully funded scholarship) to start a PhD. I know that wont make qualify under the nominee program but I already got the certificate. Do Buffalo office care? Will they ask????

The other thing I want to renew my passport but my current passport number is on my PNP certificate ! Can i apply for a PR with a passport different than the one on my certificate?

I'm confused and sad, PLEASE help

Thanks

Shubha

Dec 7, 2010
Holy, pls dont cry. Someone will answer your post, i dont have an answer for your question.

But please cheerup and smile :)

drumman

Star Member
Mar 14, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2010 DEC 22
Doc's Request.
RPRF FEE REQUESTED ON 10 NOVEMBER 2011
Nomination.....
AB
AOR Received.
JULY 7
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
JULY 6
Med's Done....
7 JULY
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
??????? WHEN ?????PPR WHEN ???
VISA ISSUED...
NOT YET
LANDED..........
NOT YET
:D HEY DONT CRY ....PASSPORT CHANGE IS DOESNT MATTER ...JUST KEEP THE OLD PP COPY THOUGH.....CIC OFFICLA ARE VERY GOOD FOR USING COMMN SENSE ......THEY WILL JUST FOLLOW PP EXPIRE DATE...

subzbus

Dec 8, 2010
Holy said:
Hi,
I really need help. I received a PNP certificate under the graduate master program. I was going to look for work but I got a really good opportunity (fully funded scholarship) to start a PhD. I know that wont make qualify under the nominee program but I already got the certificate. Do Buffalo office care? Will they ask????

The other thing I want to renew my passport but my current passport number is on my PNP certificate ! Can i apply for a PR with a passport different than the one on my certificate?

Thanks
Crying or not, its still the decision you have to make. Everyone in here all sacrificed either time, job, school or opportunity in his/her life to go through the immigration process.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Holy said:
Hi,

You don't have any issues. You can still apply for PR as a Provincial Nominee even though you are going to do your PhD. And it doesn't matter if your passport number changes. Renew your passport and send in a copy of the new ID page as well as a copy of the ID page from your old passport.

superboy_ec

Mar 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 1, 2010
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
Nov 19, 2009
AOR Received.
July 7, 2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
not yet and I don't think it will
Med's Request
June 24, 2010 received July 7. 2010
Med's Done....
July 20, 2010 and cardio (sept/29)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-Feb-2011 sent 01-Mar-2011 arrived @ F.E. 03-Mar-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-Mar-2011
LANDED..........
02-Apr-2011
rjessome said:
You don't have any issues. You can still apply for PR as a Provincial Nominee even though you are going to do your PhD. And it doesn't matter if your passport number changes. Renew your passport and send in a copy of the new ID page as well as a copy of the ID page from your old passport.
What rjessome says is correct. You do not have to worry, just continue with the process..nothing to be worried about...

almhanna

Apr 25, 2011
resident

How long does it take to grant a Canadian permanent resident visa under the
Quebec Skilled Worker category of immigration from the day of submision?

what is better? to apply for Canadien permanent resident or Quebec resident?

many thanks in advance

babyq

Star Member
Mar 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo - cpp ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
may 13, 2011
File Transfer...
july 2012
Med's Request
march 2012
Med's Done....
may 2012
Passport Req..
feb 19, 2013
Holy said:
Hi,

Thanks
if you want to go through your pr application, go ahead. you should not worry that much. it says in the cic website, as per instruction, if there's any chnges or update regarding your status, you just have to inform your visa office.

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
rjessome said:
I believe under the Ontario Masters Program, the OP should not be doing a PhD if he/she wishes to go that route.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prof456 said:
I believe under the Ontario Masters Program, the OP should not be doing a PhD if he/she wishes to go that route.
The Opportunities Ontario site says:

Not have further studies as their main activity in the province (e.g., pursuing a PhD or another degree/diploma). Graduates are allowed to pursue further studies, if those are necessary to meet registration requirements in a regulation occupation in Ontario.

However, these are the criteria to APPLY for PNP under the Master's Stream. The OP has already received the nomination. It's a debatable point and the OP should call Opportunities Ontario to ask if pursuing a PhD after receiving the nomination under the Masters stream would jeopardize their nomination.

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
rjessome said:
The Opportunities Ontario site says:

Not have further studies as their main activity in the province (e.g., pursuing a PhD or another degree/diploma). Graduates are allowed to pursue further studies, if those are necessary to meet registration requirements in a regulation occupation in Ontario.

However, these are the criteria to APPLY for PNP under the Master's Stream. The OP has already received the nomination. It's a debatable point and the OP should call Opportunities Ontario to ask if pursuing a PhD after receiving the nomination under the Masters stream would jeopardize their nomination.
I had the debate with myself before my initial comment. If an individual goes thru a PNP employer/employment stream, is granted nomination and then quits his/her job before the application was sent to Buffalo for approval, he/she is no longer eligible for PR and if Buffalo requests additional document, the OP will be found out. So how is this different?

I'm not saying the OP should not apply and go for the PhD program. However, I think he/she has a legitimate concern and should know the potential implications of his/her decision, hence the thread.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prof456 said:
I had the debate with myself before my initial comment. If an individual goes thru a PNP employer/employment stream, is granted nomination and then quits his/her job before the application was sent to Buffalo for approval, he/she is no longer eligible for PR and if Buffalo requests additional document, the OP will be found out. So how is this different?

I'm not saying the OP should not apply and go for the PhD program. However, I think he/she has a legitimate concern and should know the potential implications of his/her decision, hence the thread.
The difference is that the Masters and PhD streams are NOT joint applications filed by the applicant and employer. A skilled worker NEEDS a job and an employer willing to support the nomination whereas the graduate streams don't. However, I agree, best to err on the side of caution. The OP should call Opportunities Ontario and ask for clarification.

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
rjessome said:
The difference is that the Masters and PhD streams are NOT joint applications filed by the applicant and employer. A skilled worker NEEDS a job and an employer willing to support the nomination whereas the graduate streams don't. However, I agree, best to err on the side of caution. The OP should call Opportunities Ontario and ask for clarification.
The real question is, what is the intent of the stream? I believe the intent is to enable international student get into the workforce as soon as they graduate from their Masters program. Hence, if the OP decides to undergo the PhD program, he/she does not fulfill the requirements; thus he/she will not be eligible. Remember, the PNP only pre-screens the applicant. Buffalo makes the final decision based on the pre-screening criteria.

I just did a search on the FAQs:
I have recently graduated from a Master's program and I plan to continue with my full-time studies (for example: PhD, additional Master's degree). Do I qualify for the Pilot International Masters Graduate Stream?
No. The Master's Graduate Stream is for individuals who have graduated or are in the last semester of a Master's program at an eligible publicly funded university in Ontario. In order to apply to Opportunities Ontario as an international student graduate from an eligible Master's program students must “intend to live and work” in Ontario and be ready to enter the labour market on a full time basis. It is not intended for international students who are continuing their studies.

An exemption to this rule is made for Master's Graduates who are continuing to study:

•But are working on full time basis in Ontario;
•Towards meeting licensure requirements in a regulated occupation in Ontario.
http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPQUESTIONS.html#_students_masters

ae03yy

Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattl
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 18, 2011
prof456 said:
http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPQUESTIONS.html#_students_masters
best is to call CIC or email Buffalo directly... it might evoid maybes and perhaps

Holy

Apr 24, 2011
Hi,

Thank you all for your replies. I think I will do my PhD and apply for a PR :). I though it worth a try. It might be ok or the officer is nice or something. The only thing I'm worried about is my VISA and Study permit. As they ask for copies for that. My current VISA/Study permit will expire on July. So I will have to apply for new ones and when I send these that's when I think the problems will start. As my status in Canada will be a student !

I guess the only thing that would help me is that with my Phd I will be able to work and practice in Canada with my masters I cant not. So maybe that will help them understand my situation.

Another question, Can i leave Canada untill September or I have to be here all the time?

Thanks all