NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-02-2020
AOR Received.
25-02-2020
Med's Done....
04-03-2020
Hello Everyone,

I hope someone can help me as I don't know where to ask on what to do. I recently got a new SIN (permanent residence) I have an old SIN as well but that one will expire as I had when I have my worker status. I was wondering on how to submit my income tax? I have been using my old SIN submitting my taxes for the last 6 years and now I don't know if I would just use the new SIN in submitting my taxes? I have been calling CRA so many times but I don't have luck on talking to an agent. Kindly help if you have had any experience with regards to this. Thank you!

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
Hello Everyone,

I hope someone can help me as I don't know where to ask on what to do. I recently got a new SIN (permanent residence) I have an old SIN as well but that one will expire as I had when I have my worker status. I was wondering on how to submit my income tax? I have been using my old SIN submitting my taxes for the last 6 years and now I don't know if I would just use the new SIN in submitting my taxes? I have been calling CRA so many times but I don't have luck on talking to an agent. Kindly help if you have had any experience with regards to this. Thank you!
I got my new SIN in Feb and used that to file my 2020 income tax return with no problems. I also created a new CRA account as my previous account with old SIN via partner login has been deactivated already and cannot be used. My new CRA has my old tax filing with my wp SIN.

There’s no need to inform CRA of your new SIN as service Canada sends that info to CRA.

123ganda

Star Member
Jan 13, 2019
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-02-2020
AOR Received.
25-02-2020
Med's Done....
04-03-2020
Your old SIN will be linked with your new SIN number. Use your permanent SIN to file your taxes.
I got my new SIN in Feb and used that to file my 2020 income tax return with no problems. I also created a new CRA account as my previous account with old SIN via partner login has been deactivated already and cannot be used. My new CRA has my old tax filing with my wp SIN.

There’s no need to inform CRA of your new SIN as service Canada sends that info to CRA.
Thank you so much! Service Canada people advised me to call them that is why I kept calling but no luck and I thought I have to inform them first before filing my taxes. Thank you for your help!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thank you so much! Service Canada people advised me to call them that is why I kept calling but no luck and I thought I have to inform them first before filing my taxes. Thank you for your help!
Your new SIN information will be sent automatically to the CRA. Data transfer occurs once a week . There is no need to call the CRA to do this. It’ll be a overlay in the system . Your old SIN is connected to the new SIN, so moving forward use the new SIN

Reactions: 123ganda

dactoan.nguyen

Dec 5, 2018
Hi @Copingwithlife ,
I got the same issue with my new SIN. As your explanation,
- I don't need to contact CRA and register new account with my new SIN.
- I recently applied pre-approved mortgage but they couldn't check my credit score due to new SIN. Do I have to call to Equifax to update or will it update shortly as CRA?
Any input would appreciate.

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
Hi @Copingwithlife ,
- I recently applied pre-approved mortgage but they couldn't check my credit score due to new SIN. Do I have to call to Equifax to update or will it update shortly as CRA?
It’ll get updated automatically. Give it a month.

Reactions: dactoan.nguyen

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi @Copingwithlife ,
I was in similar situation when I returned to Canada.
Despite what the others said, I called the CRA to sort it out. After that the two tax numbers are linked.

Last edited:

lovepreq

Star Member
Jun 6, 2019
I have recently got a letter from CRA to pay back Trillium and GsT, because i have change my SIN. Any help to notified them that I was a Student and now a residence? Is it because the old temporary SIN no longer exists or I will have sign in for a new account?

Thank in advance.

kiki26

Jan 11, 2022
Sum help! I got my new sin number at Service Canada and they told me I needed to notify CRA,MSP and my employer. I am on the line waiting for CRA, it says 3 hour wait, does anyone know if I do actually have to wait that long just to let them know?

aajeeb123

Feb 16, 2022

@NOC98 at the time you created the new My CRA account, did they ask you the amount you inserted at line 10100 in your previous tax return? If yes, what answer you provided? 0?

jm101

Star Member
May 13, 2019
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
23-02-2021
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2021
LANDED..........
24-08-2021
Your new SIN information will be sent automatically to the CRA. Data transfer occurs once a week . There is no need to call the CRA to do this. It’ll be a overlay in the system . Your old SIN is connected to the new SIN, so moving forward use the new SIN
Hi! I just got a my new social insurance number. Since data transfer happens once a week, should I wait for a week before filing for a tax return with the new number? Or it wouldn't matter as it's going to be merged anyway?

Sonu Po

Oct 15, 2021
Hello Everyone,

I called CRA and got confirmation that all information is moved automatically from CRA so we just need to create new account with new SIN

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
@NOC98 at the time you created the new My CRA account, did they ask you the amount you inserted at line 10100 in your previous tax return? If yes, what answer you provided? 0?
If you don’t have that line item in your previous tax return, then say 0.