+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP - how to temporarily relocate to Canada from US (CND citizen)

Apr 15, 2021
I am a Canadian citizen, married to a Canadian, with a Canadian son and two American daughters. I'm in the US on a temporary work visa but it expires soon (I have been here for a little over 5 years). I applied for the I-360 (special immigrant) form to begin the US green card process but haven't heard anything back in 18 months due to covid delays. If I don't hear back by Aug 5 I have to move back to Canada and apply for my green card via consular processing (likely a 6-12 month process). All that to say, I can't find any information online about temporarily moving back to Canada. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I'm trying to figure out things like do I have to file for residency/can I get residency since I have no intention of staying? Do I need to import my vehicle at the border since we're not intending to stay long-term? How do I get OHIP? Any resources or information on a temporary move back to Canada would be greatly appreciated.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you're a citizen, you don't need to file for residency in any way. OHIP is a matter with Service Ontario, you show up and tell them you are back in Canada. Your vehicle is more complex - there is a time period in which you are to import it, but if you're not planning on staying that long, you technically wouldn't need to, but it may be challenging to convince the authorities of that.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a Canadian citizen, married to a Canadian, with a Canadian son and two American daughters. I'm in the US on a temporary work visa but it expires soon (I have been here for a little over 5 years). I applied for the I-360 (special immigrant) form to begin the US green card process but haven't heard anything back in 18 months due to covid delays. If I don't hear back by Aug 5 I have to move back to Canada and apply for my green card via consular processing (likely a 6-12 month process). All that to say, I can't find any information online about temporarily moving back to Canada. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I'm trying to figure out things like do I have to file for residency/can I get residency since I have no intention of staying? Do I need to import my vehicle at the border since we're not intending to stay long-term? How do I get OHIP? Any resources or information on a temporary move back to Canada would be greatly appreciated.
You should only apply for OHIP if you plan on being in Ontario for over 6 months or you could be charged for any of the services you use. If you children don’t have proof that they are Canadian citizens they won’t qualify for OHIP.