+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

help~how long can i stay outside of the country?

naloww

Nov 25, 2009
I've been in Canada for almost 10 years, but I usually only stayed every half a year/every year in Canada,
this time im planning to go back to my country for a longer time of period.
what is the requirement for it?how long can i stay?
or i have to stay at least half of a year every year here?

please advise, thank you

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

naloww said:
I've been in Canada for almost 10 years, but I usually only stayed every half a year/every year in Canada,
this time im planning to go back to my country for a longer time of period.
what is the requirement for it?how long can i stay?
or i have to stay at least half of a year every year here?

please advise, thank you
You have to be in Canada physically for 2 years in every in 5 year period. (Certain exceptions)

PMM

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I guess first question to ask is: Are you a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident or None? If you are a PR when does your card expire?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, always the last 5 years. You can be outside Canada for up to total 1095 days in any 5 year period. If you are outside Canada and see you are getting close to the 1095 days, you should go back.

thenaiks1

Dec 5, 2009
I have been in Canada in May 2006 with my Family ; we had our PR and have to come back to India in Sep 2006 due to personnel reasons ; now in Jan 2010 we want to go back to Canada -still we have a valid PR card till May 2011 - will there any problem at the time of arrival in Canada?(as we have stayed more than 3 years out side Canada)

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It depends on the officer. If they just let you enter you will be fine, and just have to make sure you have your 2 years before applying to renew your PR card. If you get checked out at the POE and they find out the truth you will lose your PR card and status.

(Technically, you have already lost your status.)

thenaiks1 said:
I have been in Canada in May 2006 with my Family ; we had our PR and have to come back to India in Sep 2006 due to personnel reasons ; now in Jan 2010 we want to go back to Canada -still we have a valid PR card till May 2011 - will there any problem at the time of arrival in Canada?(as we have stayed more than 3 years out side Canada)

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thenaiks1 said:

I would go for it.