+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help help help....WES did'nt recognize India's top ranked institute...what to do

jd151218

Jan 3, 2019
hi whats your course of action now? am in the same boat as yours..re-evaluaton or ces toronto university or IQAS?
Hi,

I have written to WES twice regarding this discrepancy. In my email, I had explained my case and the fact that my institute had the AIU approval certificate as well (a copy of which my institute shared with me). I also mentioned that my batchmates got the same degree evaluated as Masters etc. To which their reply was

'WES has updated its policy specific to master's degrees in business administration and postgraduate diplomas awarded in India.

WES recognizes business study in India as equivalent to a master's degree in Canada when a) the student has completed a three year MBA or b) when the credential is awarded by certain institutions such as IITs and IIMs.

We reviewed your evaluation report and confirmed that it is correct. Therefor, no changes will be made. We would like to emphasize that WES evaluations are advisory opinions and not binding upon any institution or organization.'

So, there are two options left for anyone in this type of situation:

1) get ECA done by another organization; which implies (Time, Effort, Money again)
2) go ahead with whatever CRS points one has with the present ECA report (and hope for the best)

I am choosing the 2nd option since I am unwilling to spend so much money and another 2-3 months for another ECA report for 7 CRS points. I do understand that 7 is not a small number but I am ready to take this plunge. As it is, ECA reports are only for CRS points and do not help in the job market. Hence, it is not even that the report will eventually help me in the long run.

Let me know what you are planning to do.

All the best!

CANPRI

Apr 17, 2017
Mumbai
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Really glad to know it helped you :)

Best wishes!

Hi Canpri,

I can't thank you enough for highlighting this. I had been in a similar situation from a different institute though. My initial report was released on 15th Sep 2018 with my PG being not recognized. I followed up with WES just like you did. And voila, on 7th Jan I got an email WES evaluation completed. Without being much hopeful I logged in and downloaded the PDF stating my PG as 2 or more. :)

Those who are keen on re-evaluation, please make sure you send them a hard copy of your facts since emails are hardly read upon by WES.

Thanks CANPRI once again from the bottom of my heart for showing us the pathway.

P.S: I had already applied through IQAS as well after my rejection from WES and am expecting the evaluation by end of March 2019.

Thanks,
Chirag

Reactions: chirag171987

Karan_72

Dec 4, 2009
I would also suggest you to write them an e-mail explaining the situation. Hopefully, they will reconsider.
is there an email listed ?
i dont see it on their website, pls. help.

I'm in a similar situation, my PGDM from IMDR, Pune (entrance through CAT of IIMs, and one of the premier institutes) is not recognized.
They are saying - it is Non-recognized Institution.

hc_mum

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
hi whats your course of action now? am in the same boat as yours..re-evaluaton or ces toronto university or IQAS?
Hi,

If your degree is recognised as 1 yr equivalent program, then you loose only 7 CRS points (compared with if had got Masters' equivalent). No point and no benefit in arguing with WES as they will not change their decision. Have heard few cases where they have changed from Non recognised to recognised after requesting and sending AICTE/AIU etc documents but none where they gave *Masters' after giving 1 yr equivalent result
As they have changed the policy of MBA/PGDM recognition of Indian degrees after Mid 2018.
*Just for info. My campus batchmate got Masters for same degree and same institute in early 2018 and I got evaluated as 1 yr equivalent in end 2018. I had raised it with WES but got the same standard reply of policy change.

Also If you are missing the draw cutoff by very small margin and need those valuable 7 points (of Masters') then you can try IQAS or CES. But keep this in mind that they will take minimum 4 months (irrespective of few lucky ones got in less than that time). The processing time is going to increase only as more candidates are moving towards IQAS/CES/ICAS after the change in process by WES of accepting transcript only directly from institutes.

Reactions: allahisgreat

gaurav.gaur

Feb 7, 2019
Hi,

I wanted to check if there was a resolution sought on this thread. I am still not able to find XLRI in authorised list of institutes by WES.

Please advise.

hc_mum

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Hi,

I wanted to check if there was a resolution sought on this thread. I am still not able to find XLRI in authorised list of institutes by WES.

Please advise.
It is not necessary to have Institute name in the drop down of WES to get it recognised
if you are from regular PGDM course of XLRI then you ll get postgraduate diploma (1yr equivalent). and you can proceed with Two or more degree option and calculate your CRS based on that.
The CRS point difference between getting Masters and postgraduate diploma (1yr equivalent) is just 7 points. so i would suggest go ahead and get your ECA done. Make sure your Institute send the transcripts to WES.

**This is only the case of WES wherein they recognised PGDM of only few IIM and IITs as Masters. You can still try your luck with other agencies like CES, ICAS, IQAS etc. (but all these are little slow in evaluation process)

hc_mum

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
is there an email listed ?
i dont see it on their website, pls. help.

I'm in a similar situation, my PGDM from IMDR, Pune (entrance through CAT of IIMs, and one of the premier institutes) is not recognized.
They are saying - it is Non-recognized Institution.
If your institute is AICTE or AIU approved then try and get these recognition letters from your institute and send it to WES (hard copy), they may recognise it. It has happened with other candidates from various other institutes also.

Or

Try CES or ICES, they may recognise your institute. (although it may take 2-3 months to get reply from them).

WES is little harsh on PGDM courses of India.

singhjasveer

Oct 2, 2014
Is it mandatory that my Board must be recognized by WES? Is so, then where to check?
Wanna ECA for 12th from Ajmer Board Rajasthan.
Thanks

aamir69

Star Member
Jul 9, 2017
I have done a 2 year full-time PGDM from IMT Ghaziabad - although it is recognized by WES, the ECA report mentions 'Post graduate diploma (1 year)'. Firstly, WES treated it as a 1 year program instead of 2 years and secondly, they treated it as PG Diploma and not Masters. Interesting fact is that my batchmates got the WES ECA evaluation as Masters about 10-12 months ago. Now, I am not only shocked but clueless too about how I can raise a dispute with WES.
Hi
I have a similar situation - Were u able to get your evaluation changed. Did u tell them that your batch mates have got it evaluated as Masters ?

aamir69

Star Member
Jul 9, 2017
Hi,
After 2 months of long wait I finally received WES report today, but a disappointing one. I was expecting that my PGDM (approved equivalent to MBA by AIU) will be of Masters equivalency of Canada. But, it is reported as a Bachelors Degree (4 years). But the surprising part is my classmate who did the same course in the same year from the same class got it evaluated as Masters just 2 months back. I have raised this to WES through their Contact Us link. Anyone has any other suggestions to get it reevaluated?
Hi Did you get any revert from WES. Did they change your evaluation ?

AnkitaS

Feb 24, 2019
Hi I have a similar issue, however I’m from XIC. I’ve done my PGDM in Advertising and Marketing from XIC, which is a one year course. WES has already commented “1 year post secondary course from non recognised institution. I’ve already written to them but unfortunately XIC is neither affiliated to AICTE or registered under UGC. I really don’t know what to do.

I know this is a thread for XLRI, but this is the most active thread I found pertaining to my situation. If someone has a clue on what I should do, please help

optimus87k

Nov 25, 2018
Vadodara
Category........
Visa Office......
VADODARA
O
Hi,

I have written to WES twice regarding this discrepancy. In my email, I had explained my case and the fact that my institute had the AIU approval certificate as well (a copy of which my institute shared with me). I also mentioned that my batchmates got the same degree evaluated as Masters etc. To which their reply was

'WES has updated its policy specific to master's degrees in business administration and postgraduate diplomas awarded in India.

WES recognizes business study in India as equivalent to a master's degree in Canada when a) the student has completed a three year MBA or b) when the credential is awarded by certain institutions such as IITs and IIMs.

We reviewed your evaluation report and confirmed that it is correct. Therefor, no changes will be made. We would like to emphasize that WES evaluations are advisory opinions and not binding upon any institution or organization.'

So, there are two options left for anyone in this type of situation:

1) get ECA done by another organization; which implies (Time, Effort, Money again)
2) go ahead with whatever CRS points one has with the present ECA report (and hope for the best)

I am choosing the 2nd option since I am unwilling to spend so much money and another 2-3 months for another ECA report for 7 CRS points. I do understand that 7 is not a small number but I am ready to take this plunge. As it is, ECA reports are only for CRS points and do not help in the job market. Hence, it is not even that the report will eventually help me in the long run.

Let me know what you are planning to do.

All the best!
On top of it they want the transcripts to be send by University itself which in itself is an issue. Anybody from Gujarat university who came across this issue and how they resolved it?

sh_255

Star Member
Mar 3, 2019
Hi,

Can anyone help me with "Institution Type" for BIMTECH and whether it is recognized as Master's in ECA by WES.

Thank you

Reactions: varun76

csardal

Mar 15, 2019
Hi,
My husband got the WES evaluation report as follows. There is no Status mentioned on first credential analysis. Did anyone get the similar report from WES? We were not able to get score for 2 or more degrees using this report. Is it because of the status is not mentioned on the credential?

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated!

*********************************************************************************
CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY
Diploma (two years) and bachelor's degree (four years)

CREDENTIAL ANALYSIS
1. Name on Credential: xxx
Credential Authentication: Documents were sent directly by the institution
Credential: Diploma in Electronics and Communications Engineering
Year: 2006
Awarded By: Board of Technical Examinations, Government of Karnataka
Major/Specialization: Electronics and Communication Engineering
Canadian Equivalency: Secondary school diploma and diploma (two years)

2. Name on Credential: xxx
Credential Authentication: Documents were sent directly by the institution
Credential: Bachelor of Engineering
Year: 2009
Awarded By: Visveswaraiah Technological University
Major/Specialization: Telecommunication Engineering
Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)
*******************************************************************************************