+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help for extending stay for parents while in Canada on visitor's visa

patricia9

Mar 25, 2014
Hi Members,

6 months of my parents expire in May, so I am planning to submit their extension request by this month end, had few questions for it:

1. Can I create the application from my GCKey account.
  2. Should I have a single application for both the parents or separate for each one.
  3. Considering I am filling online questions on behalf of my parents: what will the answer to this be "Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and is 18 years or older?" According to the definition of family member, daughter is not considered family member neither I am dependent child. Moreover the checklist that is generated has an item under "Family Member Proof of Status (required)" Here the instruction suggests "You must provide a copy of your family member's Canadian Citizenship or Canadian immigration status document (e.g. Canadian passport, Permanent Resident Card, Study Permit, or Work Permit). Please provide a copy of both sides of the document." Its really confusing me, as I am the PR holder residing in Canada. Are my docs to be provided for this particular section
  4. If I answer the questions for both parents, individual document checklist is populated. They ask for marriage certificate, but I dont have it here in Canada. The marriage certificate in in India, what other documents can be used in case the marriage certificate is missing.
  5. There is an optional item generated in the checklist "schedule 1 - application for a temporary resident visa made outside canada (imm 5257)", now really confused as to why it would say outside Canada.
  6. Is biometrics mandatory these days, my parents never got it done in the past
My queries are quite specific to what issue I am facing currently while in the process of initiating the request. Please if someone has come across similar situation or is aware about the above questions, kindly advice.

Thanks in advance.