+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help for a family member.

Gr8 Alexander

Dec 5, 2006
Hello, I found this site a while back when I wanted to find some information out for my father. Now I am trying to help out another family memeber. My cousin has been really interested in Canada lately but is pretty much discouraged in filing for Canadian residency or a work permit because of his past. He is a very smart driven young man who really does have his head on straight and I hate to see him living his life in an uncomfortable situation. His story is this:
He was living in the United States form the age of 4 as a perminent resident until he got into some trouble as a teenager and consiquently was convicted of several aggravated felonies which made him "deportable" under US Immigration Laws. He served prison time and was deported at the end of his sentence. That was over four years ago and he has managed to turn things around for himself living in a country he knows nothing about. He has some formal education and has been working in management positions for the past 3yrs along with owning his own company for the past 1 1/2yrs. He is a really good guy that has gotten the backing of government officials for projects he has done in his home country where he is now residing. All that sounding good I know he really isn't happy and wants more out of life than what his country can provide.
I know Canada has stipulations about persons being convicted of aggravated felonies outside of Canada that want to apply for perminent residency but I would want to know is there a statitory time line in which the past no longer goes against an applicant? Or if there is any other way of going around his past to better his future?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Gr8 Alexander said:
Hello, I found this site a while back when I wanted to find some information out for my father. Now I am trying to help out another family memeber. My cousin has been really interested in Canada lately but is pretty much discouraged in filing for Canadian residency or a work permit because of his past. He is a very smart driven young man who really does have his head on straight and I hate to see him living his life in an uncomfortable situation. His story is this:
He was living in the United States form the age of 4 as a perminent resident until he got into some trouble as a teenager and consiquently was convicted of several aggravated felonies which made him "deportable" under US Immigration Laws. He served prison time and was deported at the end of his sentence. That was over four years ago and he has managed to turn things around for himself living in a country he knows nothing about. He has some formal education and has been working in management positions for the past 3yrs along with owning his own company for the past 1 1/2yrs. He is a really good guy that has gotten the backing of government officials for projects he has done in his home country where he is now residing. All that sounding good I know he really isn't happy and wants more out of life than what his country can provide.
I know Canada has stipulations about persons being convicted of aggravated felonies outside of Canada that want to apply for perminent residency but I would want to know is there a statitory time line in which the past no longer goes against an applicant? Or if there is any other way of going around his past to better his future?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
Depending on his convictions, he cannot apply for Immigration until either 5 years or 10 years have passed after the completion of his sentence.

PMM

fmtan

Sep 25, 2008
I have an exact same scenario as you do for my brother.
What did the lawyer tell you about your cousin's chances of applying for permanent resident in Canada?
Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.