+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! Finished a 2-years program but got only 1-year PGWP.

hwwawesomeman

Jan 7, 2016
Hello everyone. I've got some issue here. Please help me!

I finished a 2-years diploma program at BC and applied for a PGWP.

Through my knowledge, student who finished a 2-years program should get a 3 years PGWP.

But today the letter I received in my CIC account shows that I only got a 1 year PGWP.

Might this be the mistake from CIC?

If yes, what should I do now in order to get a 3 years PGWP.

Thank you!

Papa Bomboy

Jan 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry to hear about your mishap my friend.

Although I have heard people say you can get a PGWP that is longer than the duration of your program CIC's website does mention the contrary.

Not sure if there is much you can do now. Perhaps give CIC a call and try to get some answers first.

What I would suggest is secure a job immediately and aim for Provincial Nomination. That way if your PGWP expires after a year, you can apply or already have your P.R application in place (if your aim is P.R).

All the best my friend.

hwwawesomeman said:
Someone...please help...

Reactions: Miracle2018

hwwawesomeman

Jan 7, 2016
Papa Bomboy said:
Sorry to hear about your mishap my friend.

Although I have heard people say you can get a PGWP that is longer than the duration of your program CIC's website does mention the contrary.

Not sure if there is much you can do now. Perhaps give CIC a call and try to get some answers first.

What I would suggest is secure a job immediately and aim for Provincial Nomination. That way if your PGWP expires after a year, you can apply or already have your P.R application in place (if your aim is P.R).

All the best my friend.

Thanks for your reply. Really appreciate it.

I found the related policies at the following:

Google "Study permits: Post Graduation Work Permit Program" and you should see a CIC website. Under "Work Permit issuance and validity" area you can see the following policies:

Validity

Work permits issued under the PGWPP may be valid for up to three years.

Examples:

If the program of study is eight months (minimum duration), then the duration of the work permit should be eight months.
If the program of study is at least eight months but less than two years, then the duration of the work permit should coincide with the duration of the program of study.
If the program of study is at least two years, then the duration of the work permit should be three years.
If students who obtained a one-year graduate degree or diploma from an eligible institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, another diploma or degree from an eligible institution in Canada, then the duration of the work permit may be up to 3 three years.

So I'm really confused here about the results I got from CIC and the policies I read from CIC...

Mohammad Wally

Star Member
Oct 19, 2013
Hi,

Extremely sorry to hear about your situation. I just want to ask you that on your transcript how many semester was shown? If that was 4 semester, you should definitely call CIC asking what is the problem? Because for your case at least you should get 16 months as you did 4 semester. But I don't know whether you applied with the certificate/institution where it states that you completed 2 years of study.

ankita256

Oct 21, 2020

I finished a one plus one -year diploma program applied for a PGWP.

Through my knowledge, student who finished a 2-years program should get a 3 years PGWP.

But today the letter I received in my CIC account shows that I only got a 1 year PGWP.

Reactions: Samirpanara86

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

When does your passport expire? What school? Did you complete the course in two years?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
in 2023 and conestoga college ..yes i completed in two
A reason may be be Because your passport will expire within the timeframe of the length of the PGWP. they will give out a shorter length PGWP. Once you renew your passport the PGWP is renewed for the full three years. Call IRCC and confirm if that is why. Also some people aren’t given the 3 years and is at the discretion of the visa officer.

Last edited:

Samirpanara86

Sep 11, 2020

Did you get three work permit later ? Did you reapply for it ? The same situation

Samirpanara86

Sep 11, 2020
What is your situation?
It is normal. My passport expires in 2026. I finished two one year programs from different DLI institutes Durham college and st.lawrence college. I included everything. My transcripts of both courses. Graduation letters of both courses. It is literally unfair decision. Most of the students get three year work permit even though they finished two one year program. I didn't get at least two years PGWP.. what is the next option for it??? Please please what should I do? My parents have invested a lot of money to send me in Canada. And this happened.

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
It is normal. My passport expires in 2026. I finished two one year programs from different DLI institutes Durham college and st.lawrence college. I included everything. My transcripts of both courses. Graduation letters of both courses. It is literally unfair decision. Most of the students get three year work permit even though they finished two one year program. I didn't get at least two years PGWP.. what is the next option for it??? Please please what should I do? My parents have invested a lot of money to send me in Canada. And this happened.
What is the exact start and end date of both courses?