+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"HELP! Divorce certificate issue from US"

future2010

Star Member
Mar 16, 2010
Hi everybody,

I got medical request as well as the request for original birth, marriage, and divorce certificates. Now my problem is that I lived in the US for 7 years and I was married to an American. We got divorced and I moved to another country. I kept a copy of the divorce papers and I reorder a true copy of the divorce as well. I sent all that and I do not understand why they are asking for a divorce certificate. I am not anymore in the US so I can not get that. Please any advise on what to do I have 30 more days to send these documents.

musmanasghar

May 23, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2010
Re: help please!

future2010 said:
Hi everybody,

I got medical request as well as the request for original birth, marriage, and divorce certificates. Now my problem is that I lived in the US for 7 years and I was married to an American. We got divorced and I moved to another country. I kept a copy of the divorce papers and I reorder a true copy of the divorce as well. I sent all that and I do not understand why they are asking for a divorce certificate. I am not anymore in the US so I can not get that. Please any advise on what to do I have 30 more days to send these documents.
Dear Friend

I dont know the solution about your problem but my advise is you must select topic of your THREAD as "HELP! Divorce certificate issue from US" it will certainly attract others who know about it or who wana know about it ....

ANigerian

Mar 24, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is a possibility that it is not on file or these documents are being overlooked in error.

I will suggest you do the following:

1. Write a letter to CHC informing them that certified copies were included in complete application

2. As a back-up, try getting somebody in the US to get you additional copies.

hope you find a way out, peace!!!

future2010

Star Member
Mar 16, 2010
Hi Nigerian,

Thank you for your response. You see you might be right but I do not understand something about my consultant. They first send me an email saying that the Visa Office has requested medical and that they are requesting original birth certificates and marriage certificates. That is all . Then I asked my consultant that I am assuming that they are asking for my marriage certificate from my prevous marriage and that I do not have that. Then they said that I have to send the divorce certificate showing the final divorce. Please advice are my consultants wrong? In the first email they never mentioned divroce certificate as I have already sutmitted my divorce documents that my friend got from the court house in the US?

Anybody haved experience anything like mine?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
In some States (Maybe all, not sure), you can get a divorce certificate in addition to a certified copy of the divorce decree. You can order notarized copies from the State (you do not have to be there) - most have online ordering systems for vital records. What state were you married / divorced in? While you are at it, you should get the marriage cert with the divorce cert...

If you need more help, tell us the State... or google the State vital records.

me2land

Aug 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jes is right ON, divorce documents you get from the court house is not the same as divorce certificate. After your divorce is finalized the court send your documents to the state vital records/statistics and from there you can request your divorce certificate.

¬m2l

future2010

Star Member
Mar 16, 2010
Hi guys ,

Thank you very much for your responses!

I have check vitalcheck but I read a lot of complains about it. I was married in the Alabama. I still have a friend there. Do you think that they can give the certificate to him?

me2land

Aug 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes but the process differ from State to State. You or your friend can call State of Alabama and ask for the process of authorizing your friend to get your divorce certificate.

¬m2l

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
future2010 said:
I have check vitalcheck but I read a lot of complains about it. I was married in the Alabama. I still have a friend there. Do you think that they can give the certificate to him?
In Alabama's case, you order these from the Alabama Department of Vital Records. You have 3 options:
http://adph.org/vitalrecords/index.asp?id=1561

1) You can download a mail-in application:
http://adph.org/vitalrecords/assets/hs14eng.pdf

2) You can use Vitalcheck. I have used it in the past, it worked very well for me.

3) LUCKY FOR YOU, if you have a friend in Alabama:

"There are no restrictions. By Alabama law, divorce certificates are not confidential and may be obtained by any individual upon payment of the proper fee. "

So, yes, your friend can do it. This is very unusual, by the way. Most states would not permit this.

"In Person in Alabama: You may go to any county health department in the State of Alabama to obtain a certified copy of an Alabama divorce certificate. Most divorce certificates can be issued while you wait. A map showing locations of county health departments where vital records may be obtained is available."

Same is true for the marriage certificate. Recommend you get both (assuming the marriage and divorce both took place in Alabama).

future2010

Star Member
Mar 16, 2010
Hi guys ,

Thank you very much for your help. My friend called the registry and they will give the divorce certificate to him.

Thanks for your help and support! ;D