+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! Canadian Experience

james456

Jul 14, 2020
Apologies for the long post but could use some advice with a bit of a complicated situation. My IEC visa runs out 28th September and I have an ITA for PR through CEC. I have all my docs ready inc. medical exam, employment letters, passport scans etc. However, looking through my hours for Canadian experience and it is VERY tight, to the point where as I’ve calculated it, if the assessing officer looks at them I think I should be good if he/she includes the week of work I did the week I received my ITA. Am I better off declining the ITA, applying for BOWP a couple days before IEC expires and then accepting ITA on 30th Sep (assuming there is a draw – I should also be good for points at 479) and then applying immediately after receiving ITA and then submitting an AOR via webform hopefully by the 1st or 2nd (also assuming that my BOWP isn’t rejected in that time frame) OR do I risk it with hopefully having enough hours to satisfy the officer at the time of ITA? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Stressful times.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
How tight are we talking? You can count all work experience up until you submit your e-APR. As long as you're above 1,560 hours and that's clear from your reference letter and paystubs, you're good to go.

Declining the ITA means taking a chance since nobody knows if they're going to do another CEC-only draw on September 30 or something like that. Anecdotally, people have been able to send their AOR later for a BOWP, and given current processing times you might get away with it, but it's also risky.

james456

Jul 14, 2020
How tight are we talking? You can count all work experience up until you submit your e-APR. As long as you're above 1,560 hours and that's clear from your reference letter and paystubs, you're good to go.

I've heard they count experience up until the date of your ITA? If it's submitting your PR docs then I think I'd be good. I've calculated 1317 for my old job and then 270 at my current place which equals 1587 but that's only up to and including the date of the ITA week (Sep 17th)

Declining the ITA means taking a chance since nobody knows if they're going to do another CEC-only draw on September 30 or something like that. Anecdotally, people have been able to send their AOR later for a BOWP, and given current processing times you might get away with it, but it's also risky.
I think with 479 points, I'd be good for an all-program draw although I understand there's no guarantees. Thanks for the response. Any further info would be greatly appreciated. @primaprime

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Apologies for the long post but could use some advice with a bit of a complicated situation. My IEC visa runs out 28th September and I have an ITA for PR through CEC. I have all my docs ready inc. medical exam, employment letters, passport scans etc. However, looking through my hours for Canadian experience and it is VERY tight, to the point where as I’ve calculated it, if the assessing officer looks at them I think I should be good if he/she includes the week of work I did the week I received my ITA. Am I better off declining the ITA, applying for BOWP a couple days before IEC expires and then accepting ITA on 30th Sep (assuming there is a draw – I should also be good for points at 479) and then applying immediately after receiving ITA and then submitting an AOR via webform hopefully by the 1st or 2nd (also assuming that my BOWP isn’t rejected in that time frame) OR do I risk it with hopefully having enough hours to satisfy the officer at the time of ITA? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Stressful times.
How have you calculated your hours exactly? Have you been working at least 30 hours a week each week or do you have weeks with part time hours? When did you start working? Do you have any breaks where you weren't working?

james456

Jul 14, 2020
How have you calculated your hours exactly? Have you been working at least 30 hours a week each week or do you have weeks with part time hours? When did you start working? Do you have any breaks where you weren't working?
My old job I had variable hours which makes it tricky so I've literally gone through and counted paystub by paystub. I was generally between 20-35 hours per week so it's a little all over the place - sadly not a straightforward 9-5 job. My employment letter states that my hours varied from 20-35 hours per week and then I was just going to include all my payslips as evidence.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My old job I had variable hours which makes it tricky so I've literally gone through and counted paystub by paystub. I was generally between 20-35 hours per week so it's a little all over the place - sadly not a straightforward 9-5 job. My employment letter states that my hours varied from 20-35 hours per week and then I was just going to include all my payslips as evidence.
Hmmm. That definitely makes it messy. How did you do the math on the work experience? This is how you do the math correctly on the 1 year of work experience:
1) For every week you worked 30 hours or more, count this as 1 week of work experience. (Doesn't matter if you worked 30 hours or 60 hours or 90 hours.)
2) For every week where you worked fewer than 30 hours, add up all of the weeks and divide by 30.
- When the two amounts above total 52, you have 1 year of work experience.

james456

Jul 14, 2020
Hmmm. That definitely makes it messy. How did you do the math on the work experience? This is how you do the math correctly on the 1 year of work experience:
1) For every week you worked 30 hours or more, count this as 1 week of work experience. (Doesn't matter if you worked 30 hours or 60 hours or 90 hours.)
2) For every week where you worked fewer than 30 hours, add up all of the weeks and divide by 30.
- When the two amounts above total 52, you have 1 year of work experience.
Great, thanks. I just calculated using the above and I have 42 weeks at my old job and 9 weeks up to the and including the week of ITA but now at 10 weeks if they accept all my work up until date of PR application submission. Any idea what the exact cut-off is? I heard it was date of ITA which may mean I have to risk it and decline current ITA and apply in the next draw to make sure of 1yr experience.