+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*HELP* Can I leave Canada after the citizenship test?

Hopeful007

Feb 16, 2019
Thank you for sharing this case. My case is slightly different
My company asked me to relocate and they have no problem for me to go back to Canada for Oath and working from there Virtually until I get the passport
will it be ok if I move my family as well? I will leave the house not rented and we can be back on time for Oth whatever the price is

what do you guys advise? This is a career requirement
Sorry off topic, where do you guys search for jobs in China? Thanks

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Thank you for sharing this case. My case is slightly different
My company asked me to relocate and they have no problem for me to go back to Canada for Oath and working from there Virtually until I get the passport
will it be ok if I move my family as well? I will leave the house not rented and we can be back on time for Oth whatever the price is

what do you guys advise? This is a career requirement
You have to do what you have to do from a career / family perspective. Going by the uncertainly involved in rescheduling oath, I would choose to come back to Canada for the Oath, work virtually, get the certificate & passport and be done with it.

You can always do a short term rental in Canada when you are coming back for oath so if you want to rent out your house, why not. In most cases, there is a two week lead-time for the oath date, so plenty of time to come back. The cost of the ticket may be worth the hassle you will be able to avoid by taking the oath the first time you get a date.

Kaymin

Oct 11, 2020
You have to do what you have to do from a career / family perspective. Going by the uncertainly involved in rescheduling oath, I would choose to come back to Canada for the Oath, work virtually, get the certificate & passport and be done with it.

You can always do a short term rental in Canada when you are coming back for oath so if you want to rent out your house, why not. In most cases, there is a two week lead-time for the oath date, so plenty of time to come back. The cost of the ticket may be worth the hassle you will be able to avoid by taking the oath the first time you get a date.
Thank you for the reply
yes, Moneywise for tickets, no issues, meanwhile I need to keep the source of the money which is Career . hahhaa .................... I think IRCC also give good lead time before the path so jumping in the plane and coming back should not be an issue....
will discuss with my company based on this conclusion

aurora2014

Star Member
May 8, 2014
No, it's a bad advice. Your PR card will be void after the citizenship ceremony and you cannot use it to travel.
Theoretically, you can fly to China right after receiving the citizenship certificate (a couple of weeks after the ceremony) and apply for a Canadian passport in China, but I would do it in Canada if I were you.
Just for what it's worth, the OP would be in a legal quagmire if he traveled to China as you suggested. China does not permit dual citizenship, and the loss of Chinese nationality is automatic upon acquisition of foreign citizenship.
Article 9: http://english.mofcom.gov.cn/aarticle/lawsdata/chineselaw/200211/20021100050315.html

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Just for what it's worth, the OP would be in a legal quagmire if he traveled to China as you suggested. China does not permit dual citizenship, and the loss of Chinese nationality is automatic upon acquisition of foreign citizenship.
Article 9: http://english.mofcom.gov.cn/aarticle/lawsdata/chineselaw/200211/20021100050315.html
Xi doesn't allow us to call him Winne-the-Pooh. For that, I give up my Chinese citizenship. I must be able to troll our political leaders which is a BIG and FUN part of my life. Life will lose all its meaning if I can't have that basic human right.