+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help - Awaiting BC PNP for Express Entry but Australian IEC Work Permit expiring

Sarah_P

Oct 28, 2015
Hi All,

I have found myself in a confusing situation and don't really know which way to turn. Hoping that someone will be able to shed some light on what I should be doing...

I am a 25 year old Australian, living in Vancouver, working as an Interior Designer (NOC 5242) on an IEC work permit which will be expiring in early December.

I have created my express entry profile but do not meet the points required as no LMIA was conducted by my employer at time of employment. I have submitted my application for BC PNP on July 22nd, 2015 and am waiting to hear back in regards to it. I have been told that it currently takes around 3-4 months to receive a response, however as I near to the end date of my work permit, I am feeling a little (a lot) restless. If my work permit is to expire, resulting in my inability to work, my PNP application will no longer be valid.

I have been told that I will be required to extend my work permit before my current expires but am unsure of how to apply for it. I have downloaded the IMM5710 'Application change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada as a worker' along with IMM5802 'Employer Compliance Form'.

- Should I be applying for "A work permit with the same employer", "Restoration of your status as a worker" or "Temporary Resident Permit" or an "Initial work permit with a new employer" I am on an open work permit, not linked to my current employer.

- What type of work permit should I be applying for; Co-Op work permit, Open work permit or Exemption from Labour Market Impact Assessment or Other?

- What should the duration of my expected employment be? I'm full-time employed on a salary (no end date other than my current work permit, I guess)

- On the Employer Compliance Form; What would be the title of LMIA exemption is being requested? I assume this would be International Experience Canada - R205(b) but maybe someone could confirm?

- What would be the explanation of how the job meets the requirements of the exemption being requested?... No LMIA was required when I was hired?

I'm hoping that someone out there has had experience in the same situation as me and is able to help answer some (hopefully all) of my questions.

I wait eagerly hoping for a response.

- Sarah

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Sarah_P said:
Hi All,

I have found myself in a confusing situation and don't really know which way to turn. Hoping that someone will be able to shed some light on what I should be doing...

I am a 25 year old Australian, living in Vancouver, working as an Interior Designer (NOC 5242) on an IEC work permit which will be expiring in early December.

I have created my express entry profile but do not meet the points required as no LMIA was conducted by my employer at time of employment. I have submitted my application for BC PNP on July 22nd, 2015 and am waiting to hear back in regards to it. I have been told that it currently takes around 3-4 months to receive a response, however as I near to the end date of my work permit, I am feeling a little (a lot) restless. If my work permit is to expire, resulting in my inability to work, my PNP application will no longer be valid.

I have been told that I will be required to extend my work permit before my current expires but am unsure of how to apply for it. I have downloaded the IMM5710 'Application change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada as a worker' along with IMM5802 'Employer Compliance Form'.

- Should I be applying for "A work permit with the same employer", "Restoration of your status as a worker" or "Temporary Resident Permit" or an "Initial work permit with a new employer" I am on an open work permit, not linked to my current employer.

- What type of work permit should I be applying for; Co-Op work permit, Open work permit or Exemption from Labour Market Impact Assessment or Other?

- What should the duration of my expected employment be? I'm full-time employed on a salary (no end date other than my current work permit, I guess)

- On the Employer Compliance Form; What would be the title of LMIA exemption is being requested? I assume this would be International Experience Canada - R205(b) but maybe someone could confirm?

- What would be the explanation of how the job meets the requirements of the exemption being requested?... No LMIA was required when I was hired?

I'm hoping that someone out there has had experience in the same situation as me and is able to help answer some (hopefully all) of my questions.

I wait eagerly hoping for a response.

- Sarah
1. As you know an IEC is not extendable. If you are still under 30 and have had only 1 IEC you could apply for a 2nd when the IEC re-opens for Australia.
2. Unless you have a valid LMIA or the provincial PNP certificate, you are not eligible for a new work permit.

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey There Sarah,

I'm in a nearly identical situation to you with my partner.

We are on Aussie IEC visa's expiring in March, he is now over the age limit to get his final IEC visa. I luckily got my last IEC approval done before they closed for the year.

Currently have a BCPNP submission in (July 6) and my work is about to submit for LMIA to sponsor. So unless one of these has an approval soon he will be heading home until we get an ITA and can apply for the open permit for him.

Bloody handbrake! Lol.