+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! Approved with CoPR but wife is now pregnant!

DL2017

Dec 26, 2017
Hello and thank you for reading,

Some details are that I am American and I have received my CoPR (YAY! :)) which will expire in November 2019. My wife and I live in California as of right now. She is now 6 weeks pregnant (YAY! :)) and the due date is approximately December 2019. My wife is a Canadian citizen. We have decided to stay in the US until the baby is born. We plan to fly to Canada in May to "Land and Declare" to activate my PR status and then after the baby is born we plan to fly/drive to move to Vancouver to "Land and Settle".

My questions are, what is the easiest way to bring the baby to Vancouver? What is the process? Do I need to fill out paperwork to make the baby a Canadian citizen? Do I have to adjust my PR application? Which passport should i get, US or CAN? I do not know what to do in this situation and any specific help would be greatly appreciated in this scary:( and exciting time:).

If you have any questions, please ask. And if you see any problems that might arise from our plans, please help bring them to our attention.

Reactions: visatest

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
what is the easiest way to bring the baby to Vancouver?
What is the process? Do I need to fill out paperwork to make the baby a Canadian citizen? Do I have to adjust my PR application? Which passport should i get, US or CAN? I do not know what to do in this situation and any specific help would be greatly appreciated in this scary:( and exciting time:).
1. Book travel as normal.

2. Certificate of Citizenship.

3. Nothing to do with your PR app, which will be closed by that point.

4. You should get both passports.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
re: certificate of citizenship

do you mean for Canada?
The child, when born, obviously, will ideally have both USA and Canada passports to travel on. So, get them as soon as possible.
Canadian Certificate of Citizenship or a Canadian birth certificate will be required to apply.

DL2017

Dec 26, 2017
Let me know if this sounds about right...

So if the baby is born in the US, he/she will have a US birth certificate, then we'll need to get a US passport which can take up to 4-6 weeks. We will use the US passport to travel to Vancouver as a visitor (i'm assuming). Then when we arrive in Vancouver, we will apply for Canadian Certificate of Citizenship since my wife is a Canadian citizen?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
re: certificate of citizenship

do you mean for Canada?
Attention. How did your wife become Canadian citizen.

If she was naturalized, there is no problem.

However if she was born as a Canadian citizen, then she also needs to check if she was born in Canada or not. As if she was born outside of Canada (and this was not to a parent assigned by Canadian government), your baby would have no right for Canadian citizenship (second generation born aboard) and your wife would have to do the sponsorship (not that it is a difficult process for babies, but it is just more nuisance).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Let me know if this sounds about right...

So if the baby is born in the US, he/she will have a US birth certificate, then we'll need to get a US passport which can take up to 4-6 weeks. We will use the US passport to travel to Vancouver as a visitor (i'm assuming). Then when we arrive in Vancouver, we will apply for Canadian Certificate of Citizenship since my wife is a Canadian citizen?
You should not delay applying for the Certificate of Citizenship until you get to Canada. With no proof of citizenship, you may have issues such as getting provincial health coverage. Apply as soon as you can

DL2017

Dec 26, 2017
I just read on the Canadian immigration website that it could take up to 5 months to process the certificate of citizenship. With that in mind, it doesn't make sense to move right after the baby is born due to not having healthcare available. Would you agree? Or is there a work around in this situation?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I just read on the Canadian immigration website that it could take up to 5 months to process the certificate of citizenship. With that in mind, it doesn't make sense to move right after the baby is born due to not having healthcare available. Would you agree? Or is there a work around in this situation?
What province?