+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP!!! Applying study permit while in implied status for Spousal open work permit

Sraeji

May 8, 2021
Hello,

I am currently on PGWP and submitted my spousal application, my husband is a Canadian citizen. My work permit will expire June 2nd, 2024 and I will be applying for S0WP to maintain status and continue working. I also have an offer letter that I have received from a Canadian university for a master's program for September. So, I was wondering if I will be able to submit my study permit application sometime later while I am in applied status for SOWP from inside Canada? As per IRCC, it says I can hold both work and study permits if I am eligible for both. However, my consultancy is saying I need to go outside the country to apply for a study permit even though I will be maintaining my status in Canada. But when I checked the IRCC website it has the option to submit a study permit inside Canada If I have already applied for a spousal application/ if I have a work permit. Which I already qualify for.

Please!! If someone knows, please reply. It's a dream opportunity and I want to work until September before I go to school to support myself financially. Help!!!!!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Just throwing in another idea. When did your husband submitted the sponsorship application?
After you get AOR, (with application number in email), you can apply for OWP for spouse being sponsored and that application will give you maintenance status.
You can continue to work as long as that's done before your current PGWP expires. OWP under spousal sponsorship usually is given for at least a year if not 2 years.

If, and only if you want to and can defer your master's degree, the tuition would be much lower if you wait for your PR approval (getting eCOPR) before you start school.

Reactions: Sraeji

Sraeji

May 8, 2021
Just throwing in another idea. When did your husband submitted the sponsorship application?
After you get AOR, (with application number in email), you can apply for OWP for spouse being sponsored and that application will give you maintenance status.
You can continue to work as long as that's done before your current PGWP expires. OWP under spousal sponsorship usually is given for at least a year if not 2 years.

If, and only if you want to and can defer your master's degree, the tuition would be much lower if you wait for your PR approval (getting eCOPR) before you start school.
Thank you for your reply. I am still paying domestic fee since I’m a dependent of a Canadian citizen. That’s why I decided to go for it. Also we submitted application on March 20th. And I am waiting for AOR. So right now what I am thinking is wait until I get my SOWP then submit study permit application.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you for your reply. I am still paying domestic fee since I’m a dependent of a Canadian citizen. That’s why I decided to go for it. Also we submitted application on March 20th. And I am waiting for AOR. So right now what I am thinking is wait until I get my SOWP then submit study permit application.
I am not familiar with study permit application. But this sounds OK.

Sraeji

May 8, 2021
I am not familiar with study permit application. But this sounds OK.
Yeah I am not either. But I started filling the form and I got very confused. My consultant said I can’t apply study permit inside Canada. But IRCC site literally have option to submit study permit if I hold a work permit or if I’m sponsored by spouse. Also my university said I need to choose course in June then only then can provide me the fee receipt with domestic fee. So anyways I need it for study permit. I will take that risk wait to get work permit and apply study permit. Hopefully everything happens on time. I really worked hard for this admission which is very very competitive.

Reactions: YVR123