+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! Am I between a rock and hard place? Quebec PEQ - Temporary Skilled Worker submitted but only 10 days left on my IEC work permit

QCMM

Sep 28, 2020
Help! I have sent off my PEQ - Temporary Skilled Worker application which I know that MIDI has received since they took the application fee from my credit card on 25th September 2020. However, I have received no application id number yet. I entered Canada on a IEC work permit in October 2018. I'm not exactly sure what to do now in order to continune working until I know the outcome of my PEQ.

I can't extend my IEC since an 'in process' PEQ application is not a valid reason for an extension. Is it the federal A 75, a closed work permit, what I need to apply for? Or given that I hold an open work permit now, do I apply for an open work permit?

It's been a long road to get to the point of submitting my PEQ despite having met the PEQ - Temporary Skilled Worker criteria at the end of February, getting the evidence to support my application was another matter. I'd really hate to fall at the final hurdle and therefore I would appreciate some much needed timely advice.

Thanks in advance.

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Help! I have sent off my PEQ - Temporary Skilled Worker application which I know that MIDI has received since they took the application fee from my credit card on 25th September 2020. However, I have received no application id number yet. I entered Canada on a IEC work permit in October 2018. I'm not exactly sure what to do now in order to continune working until I know the outcome of my PEQ.

I can't extend my IEC since an 'in process' PEQ application is not a valid reason for an extension. Is it the federal A 75, a closed work permit, what I need to apply for? Or given that I hold an open work permit now, do I apply for an open work permit?

It's been a long road to get to the point of submitting my PEQ despite having met the PEQ - Temporary Skilled Worker criteria at the end of February, getting the evidence to support my application was another matter. I'd really hate to fall at the final hurdle and therefore I would appreciate some much needed timely advice.

Thanks in advance.
You are certainly in a tight spot but there's a way out if you act fast. Should never leave things for the last moment though but you said there were apparently some reasons even though your peq file was ready in Feb.

Anyways, prepare your file for A75 cwp. People have applied in similar situation as yours. Tomorrow ask your employer to create your profile on employer portal. It would take one week to get the job offer ID. In the meantime get your IRCC A75 forms ready and next week head to the border. Remember there are timings and restrictions on border. They may turn you away as express directions are not to entertain such situations but still there's limited quota every day.
@Zgajipurwala did it at phillisburg border a few weeks back. He can advise you on that.
Be on your toes now onwards. People like me are volunteers here, if you can get hold of an expert at nominal cost or if you are capable to pay full fees, go for it.
Edit : You may get your AoR this week from MIFI. If not take printout of your fee deducted. **Border isn't a good idea as they may turn you away without csq. Apply online**
All the best

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Just emphasizing as I wrote otherwise above - Without csq, chances of being turned away from border is very very high. Apply on-line is your only choice. Once you apply you would be in implicit status then onwards till you get your cwp. You are also entitled to Ramq during this time.
All the best

Last edited:

QCMM

Sep 28, 2020
@Immstu Thank you very much for your super prompt advice. I really appreciate it! To be honest, I should be getting on a plane out of Canada next week and not got this far in the application process, I actually passed my Level 8 (I never did any of other lower levels, French exams) in February. However, my QC gov school never applied for my permanent code, without which no French certificate will be issued, but insisted that they were waiting on it! At least until I provided evidence from the Ministry of Education that they had never applied for it which was a stroke of luck that MofE employee was very through/informative. I actaully managed to organise and sit my TEFAQ exams before the school issued my French Level 8 certificate as part of my 'lost all hope' Plan B.

My employers took over 3 weeks to sign my supporting work documentation which I had drafted word for word from a colleague's accepted version for their PEQ application which is why I really appreciate your advice but am not hopefully that I can get my employer to complete my profile on the employer portal in a day. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again!

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
@Immstu Thank you very much for your super prompt advice. I really appreciate it! To be honest, I should be getting on a plane out of Canada next week and not got this far in the application process, I actually passed my Level 8 (I never did any of other lower levels, French exams) in February. However, my QC gov school never applied for my permanent code, without which no French certificate will be issued, but insisted that they were waiting on it! At least until I provided evidence from the Ministry of Education that they had never applied for it which was a stroke of luck that MofE employee was very through/informative. I actaully managed to organise and sit my TEFAQ exams before the school issued my French Level 8 certificate as part of my 'lost all hope' Plan B.

My employers took over 3 weeks to sign my supporting work documentation which I had drafted word for word from a colleague's accepted version for their PEQ application which is why I really appreciate your advice but am not hopefully that I can get my employer to complete my profile on the employer portal in a day. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again!
I understand your situation now and do empathize the state you are in.
Send me a pm here with your email, I will forward a step by step guide for employer portal immediately. Push your immediate boss about the urgency of it. It at best wouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes and compliance fee of $230. You gotta beg and bend backwards your pride to get it done. It's achievable. Believe me. Don't give up after coming this far.
All the best.

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Hi, just to add one of the requirements in order to apply for the A75 is if you already submit the RP application.
Nope. Wrong information currently. This is one of the option, the other one is a csq holder with a valid work permit is eligible.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/quebec-cases/labour-market-impact-assessment-exempt-work-permit-renewals-extensions-certain-quebec-selection-holders.html

However because of csq delays in last few months, a lot of people applied for A75 with a letter of explanation and payment receipt or Acknowledgement from MIFI. One particular person on a french page got A75 before her csq. However all others got it only after they submitted their csq. Benefit was that they were all in implied status and were able to work till they got their csq and cwp.

PS - As OP is under a lot of stress, let's vet our information. Any wrong information may put them under more stress.
Thanks

Last edited:

aeya

Feb 28, 2016
Montreal
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-10-2019
Nope. Wrong information currently. This is one of the option, the other one is a csq holder with a valid work permit is eligible.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/quebec-cases/labour-market-impact-assessment-exempt-work-permit-renewals-extensions-certain-quebec-selection-holders.html

However because of csq delays in last few months, a lot of people applied for A75 with a letter of explanation and payment receipt or Acknowledgement from MIFI. One particular person on a french page got A75 before her csq. However all others got it only after they submitted their csq. Benefit was that they were all in implied status and were able to work till they got their csq and cwp.

PS - As OP is under a lot of stress, let's vet our information. Any wrong information may put them under more stress.
Thanks
Excuse me, I'm not starting a debate. You tell me that I am misinforming, but even in the link you share it does not say that it has applied to the CSQ, rather it says that it has the CSQ. If there are people who have done it that way, perfect, but the page does not say that. I only shared one information according to the page. But anyway I apologize if I misinformed.

QCMM

Sep 28, 2020
Hi thanks for the updated information. With respect to the employer job offer, is there a specific end date I must have, for example, 1 year? Also is the start date the expiration date of my work permit?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Zgajipurwala

Mar 30, 2019
Hi thanks for the updated information. With respect to the employer job offer, is there a specific end date I must have, for example, 1 year? Also is the start date the expiration date of my work permit?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
It should be for atleast 2 years

Reactions: Immstu

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Thank you! And the start date, to confirm, is the expiration date of my current work permit?
Yes, that's correct (on the employer portal).
Appreciate @Zgajipurwala for the help.
Hopefully this has been submitted today. If so, you may get your job offer ID early next week.
As A75 without csq has some minor tweaking to be done, I am sharing link to a page (in PM) where you can find detailed post by those who have done it and you can also post your query for faster response.
All the best

Reactions: Zgajipurwala

QCMM

Sep 28, 2020
Hi,

I just wanted to post an update. Aplogies for the lateness! I got my IMM5710 submitted and now I have 'implied status' until I am informed of Immigration Canada's decision. Thank you so much for your advice and support during such a stressful time!

Reactions: Immstu