+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help a newbie- can phd be treated as work experience?

indiandude

Feb 25, 2018
Hi everyone. I have found this forum very useful. I'm a newbie from India and I have no idea with regards to my qualification for migration (under any category).

My qualification:
1. MSW (Master of Social Work)- completed in 2014.
2. IELTS score- L-8.5, R-8, S-7.5, W-7.
3. I received a scholarship to pursue my PhD and I did so from 2014-2017. I have submitted the thesis in October 2017 and am waiting for the defence and the award of the degree. It make take a few months.

I would like to know the following if possible:
1. Can the PhD period be treated as work experience? If so can someone please send a format of the letter I require to claim it?

2. My scholarship conditions state that I cannot work for more than four hours a week with regard to Departmental Assistance but can I claim more work experience as a PhD scholar (a work day here is from 10-5) ?

3. I have been a PhD scholar for 696 days based on records. Any advice on how to go about claiming work experience in this regard?

4. Should I ask my research supervisor/guide to give the said work experience letter or does it have to come from the registrar of my university? Or some other official?

I am sorry for this post but I am really confused and need some clarity on this issue. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

pawansh

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017
Hi everyone. I have found this forum very useful. I'm a newbie from India and I have no idea with regards to my qualification for migration (under any category).

My qualification:
3. I received a scholarship to pursue my PhD and I did so from 2014-2017. I have submitted the thesis in October 2017 and am waiting for the defence and the award of the degree. It make take a few months.

1. Can the PhD period be treated as work experience? If so can someone please send a format of the letter I require to claim it?

2. My scholarship conditions state that I cannot work for more than four hours a week with regard to Departmental Assistance but can I claim more work experience as a PhD scholar (a work day here is from 10-5) ?

3. I have been a PhD scholar for 696 days based on records. Any advice on how to go about claiming work experience in this regard?

4. Should I ask my research supervisor/guide to give the said work experience letter or does it have to come from the registrar of my university? Or some other official?

I am sorry for this post but I am really confused and need some clarity on this issue. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Hey have you got any updates as i have the same situation?

pawansh

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017

My qualification:

Thank you.
I think you can claim your points i have checked with few people who did so.

Reactions: indiandude

indiandude

Feb 25, 2018
Your PhD is not work experience it is studying. The 4 hours would probably count.
Thanks. So I have worked as a PhD scholar for 696 days with four hours a week of work. How many years of work experience does that come to and how do I claim it?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You'll have to do the calculation yourself but the 4 hours of work per week will unlikely be enough work experience for many express entry programs. Have you looked into the various programs for gaining PR? There are also some programs for PhD graduates. You need to do some more research. You are on a student visa and on a scholarship that stipulates that you can only work 4 hours per week. Your course work and time writing your thesis is still studying so you were not working 10-5 for 696 days. You were studying for that amount of time.

pawansh

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017
Thanks. How do I claim them? I mean what's my next step for obtaining PR? Do I now get my education and work experienced assessed? I'm a bit confused.
1) First get your PHD assess from WES. refer below extract from WES website

Confirmation of Doctoral Degree Conferral
If you completed a doctoral degree, a written statement from the awarding institution indicating the date your degree was conferred and your WES confirmation of doctoral degree conferral form may be used for this purpose.

What you need to do:

Option 1

For completed study, ask the institution that awarded your degree to send your document directly to WES in a sealed envelope that is signed or stamped across the back flap by the appropriate official at the institution.

Option 2

If the institution gives you the document to send to WES, it must be in a sealed envelope. If the envelope is opened or if there is no stamp or signature across the back flap, WES cannot accept the document.

2) Get referral letter from university.
3) Get your Ielts result.
4) Create profile in express entry and get ITA.
5) Provide all required doc to CIC.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You may not have to do all this for a Canadian PhD. Look into the PR programs for PhD candidates. You do need to graduate first though. If the PhD PR programs don't work you will likely need to get your international post-secondary degrees assessed by WES or ECA or other. You really need toast down and evaluate the various programs and also look at provincial programs.

Sonapie

Feb 4, 2020
I am in a similar situation only that my PhD is outside Canada and it's a scholarship with 100% research work with no coursework.

I need to increase my CRS scores and I am very confused as to whether this can be considered as work experience.

Any input is greatly appreciated.