+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hello! Just some questions for experienced people!

akamme2

Mar 4, 2012
I'm currently trying to navigate about how all this stuff works, I read the basic materials but I figured I'd get someone's real time advice and opinion. I have completed my bachelor's degree in marketing and have 2 jobs in the past that I worked that apply to my degree.

My question is how do people go about finding jobs or careers in Canada's market? Whether it's a working visa or temporary work permit? I have close friends who are citizens of Canada and live in Ontario. Just seeking some guidance and anything would be really helpful.

Thanks for your time and anticipated candor!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Search Canadian job sites :)

monster.ca
workopolis.com
national job bank (just don't know if it's already up, some technical probs there for a while)
kijiji.ca and craigslist.ca (for both of these sites, be wary if the job offer sounds too good to be true, then it's just too good to be true; also if the prospective employer starts asking for money to be paid thru western union and the like)

akamme2 said:
I'm currently trying to navigate about how all this stuff works, I read the basic materials but I figured I'd get someone's real time advice and opinion. I have completed my bachelor's degree in marketing and have 2 jobs in the past that I worked that apply to my degree.

My question is how do people go about finding jobs or careers in Canada's market? Whether it's a working visa or temporary work permit? I have close friends who are citizens of Canada and live in Ontario. Just seeking some guidance and anything would be really helpful.

Thanks for your time and anticipated candor!

akamme2

Mar 4, 2012
Thanks for the response job_seeker! In your experience is it fairly difficult? I mean, if I found a job offer - it sounds like it'd be fairly easy for me to be a permanent resident due to my assessment score of immigration!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
You can come as a temporary worker. Should you find an employer willing to hire you, apply for LMO in your favour, then you can enter Canada under a temporary work visa/work permit. If you qualify under one of the immigration streams then do so then you can land as permanent resident and is not tied to an employer. Finding an employer as a TFW is quite difficult. Some employers are quite wary hiring from overseas because of the long wait times for the processing to complete, but if you do find one then you're good to come.

akamme2 said:
Thanks for the response job_seeker! In your experience is it fairly difficult? I mean, if I found a job offer - it sounds like it'd be fairly easy for me to be a permanent resident due to my assessment score of immigration!

akamme2

Mar 4, 2012
What is a TFW? Sorry, I'm not familiar with all the lingo quite yet on this forum. I'm actually from the US, not overseas, I'm not sure if you were using "overseas" as a general term for foreigner or not or if it makes a difference.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Temporary foreign worker. Well then cuts the waiting time for you. Once you have the LMO cross the border and obtain the WP from there (with the required fee of course).

akamme2 said:
What is a TFW? Sorry, I'm not familiar with all the lingo quite yet on this forum. I'm actually from the US, not overseas, I'm not sure if you were using "overseas" as a general term for foreigner or not or if it makes a difference.

akamme2

Mar 4, 2012
So since I'm from the U.S this process should be quite a bit easier for me in terms of processing times, seeking employment and obtaining an LMO?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Depends upon your skill set actually. Why not explore NAFTA (am not familiar with this program though).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-business.asp#nafta

akamme2 said:
So since I'm from the U.S this process should be quite a bit easier for me in terms of processing times, seeking employment and obtaining an LMO?

akamme2

Mar 4, 2012
That's fairly helpful, thank you. See, it's so much difference in the States than Canada, I think. In terms of employment and qualifications. It says "Hotel Manager", which requires a degree in restaurant management, which .. makes sense. My skill set is marketing, which means I have quite a bit of qualification to be a researcher assistant at a post secondary education facility. However, my degree obviously is not in "research".

Either way, thanks for the information! If anyone has any experience with the NAFTA agreement and how you went about getting a job/what your qualifications were upon moving. I'd appreciate it greatly!

akamme2

Mar 4, 2012
Alright, unfortunately my profession isn't on there. So it looks like I'm going to be going the temporary work permit route. Where do you all apply to jobs? Do you include a cover letter? Letters of recommendation?

What do you say on your cover letter? Do you explain you're a citizen looking for a work permit and the opportunity in Canada or do you wait until they contact you to explain that scenario?

Any knowledge and insight would be appreciated.