+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hearings 2022

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If it is virtual hearing, lawyer can join from anywhere. Doesnt need to be in the same room with you.
Not a good idea though to have your lawyer in another place because you can’t consult easily. Unless required due to Covid never heard of a lawyer not being with their client at the hearing. Somewhat defeats the purpose of having a lawyer.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Not a good idea though to have your lawyer in another place because you can’t consult easily. Unless required due to Covid never heard of a lawyer not being with their client at the hearing. Somewhat defeats the purpose of having a lawyer.
Because of covid it is very possible and common practice, IRB published guideline to extend it. I know someone who had a lawyer in Edmonton (registered to practice in BC&AB), translator in Toronto, member was in Calgary and he was in BC.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Because of covid it is very possible and common practice, IRB published guideline to extend it. I know someone who had a lawyer in Edmonton (registered to practice in BC&AB), translator in Toronto, member was in Calgary and he was in BC.
That was at the beginning of Covid. Translators and members can be in different locations but having your lawyer being in a different location is a huge disadvantage for you. Your lawyer can’t easily interact with you during the hearing to give you guidance without others hearing or seeing. They also can’t easily give you guidance before hearing, during breaks, etc.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
That was at the beginning of Covid. Translators and members can be in different locations but having your lawyer being in a different location is a huge disadvantage for you. Your lawyer can’t easily interact with you during the hearing to give you guidance without others hearing or seeing. They also can’t easily give you guidance before hearing, during breaks, etc.
That is the practice now, unless for very sensitive cases. Lawyers and applicants are in different locations, and they do prep before the hearing. Majority dont connect from same location. Since all parties are aware of the documentations, evidence and BOC submitted, they anticipate any loophole and question then remotely prep. It is very common

Virtual hearings by default

As of January 18, 2021, the IRB has adopted a virtual-by-default approach to all hearings. For the foreseeable future, only virtual hearings will be held, with the exception of urgent and particularly sensitive cases.

Kashif111111

Star Member
Sep 24, 2022
I have identity card of ontario if I make Alberta Health card from calgary then Should I convert my ontario identity card to Alberta identity card? What if I don't get my Alberta identity card after I get my Alberta Health Card? So will my Ontario ID card be valid for travel because I have changed my address? So can I travel with the Ontario identity card or do I need to get an Alberta Identity Card? Bcoz I have hearing in Toronto next month.any body know please guide me

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I have identity card of ontario if I make Alberta Health card from calgary then Should I convert my ontario identity card to Alberta identity card? What if I don't get my Alberta identity card after I get my Alberta Health Card? So will my Ontario ID card be valid for travel because I have changed my address? So can I travel with the Ontario identity card or do I need to get an Alberta Identity Card? Bcoz I have hearing in Toronto next month.any body know please guide me
Your ON Identity card will be valid for domestic travel until it expires.