+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hearing TimeLine

noonestark

Nov 3, 2021
Hello guys,
I am creating this thread so we can share our hearing timeline cause its been a while since I got any news about my hearing date.
Here's some info about my case :
-Submitted my refugee application in December 2019.
-Got my eligibility interview and my brown paper after a month and they told me my hearing date will be sent in the upcoming 20 or 30 days (which I kinda found odd back then )
- I was asked to fill a paper so I don't have to cover the hearing expenses on my own, but COVID HAPPENED and with the lockdown everything got delayed so I didn't fill the form.
- No news for approximately a whole year about my Hearing date.
- In December 2020 my case got considered as a less complex case and they asked for some documents.
- I sent all the documents I could gather by the time they gave me.
- In February 2021 they sent me a letter that my case is no longer considered a less complex one and whenever the time is right they will send me the hearing date.
- And here I am still waiting for my Hearing date after almost 2 years of applying and still no news about it.

Could you please share your timeline here cause I am stressing whether something went wrong in the process of my case, especially that my case got considered less complex and then went back to a normal one.
Could it also be the paper I didn't fill about the government covering my hearing expenses that is delaying stuff, but they didn't send me another date to do that.
Please note that my lawyer is kinda useless and I feel like he doesn't care about my case, cause every time I call him about some stuff and ask him questions (for example about the paper that I should have filled) he starts giving me excuses and that I gotta wait a lot more to get my papers but it's been 2 years :(((( .
Do you think i should contact Ircc or Irb ?
Thanks in Advance and I hope this thread gets some replies so we could help each other and make the burden of waiting a little less hard.

Reactions: Norijal

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello guys,
I am creating this thread so we can share our hearing timeline cause its been a while since I got any news about my hearing date.
Here's some info about my case :
-Submitted my refugee application in December 2019.
-Got my eligibility interview and my brown paper after a month and they told me my hearing date will be sent in the upcoming 20 or 30 days (which I kinda found odd back then )
- I was asked to fill a paper so I don't have to cover the hearing expenses on my own, but COVID HAPPENED and with the lockdown everything got delayed so I didn't fill the form.
- No news for approximately a whole year about my Hearing date.
- In December 2020 my case got considered as a less complex case and they asked for some documents.
- I sent all the documents I could gather by the time they gave me.
- In February 2021 they sent me a letter that my case is no longer considered a less complex one and whenever the time is right they will send me the hearing date.
- And here I am still waiting for my Hearing date after almost 2 years of applying and still no news about it.

Could you please share your timeline here cause I am stressing whether something went wrong in the process of my case, especially that my case got considered less complex and then went back to a normal one.
Could it also be the paper I didn't fill about the government covering my hearing expenses that is delaying stuff, but they didn't send me another date to do that.
Please note that my lawyer is kinda useless and I feel like he doesn't care about my case, cause every time I call him about some stuff and ask him questions (for example about the paper that I should have filled) he starts giving me excuses and that I gotta wait a lot more to get my papers but it's been 2 years :(((( .
Do you think i should contact Ircc or Irb ?
Thanks in Advance and I hope this thread gets some replies so we could help each other and make the burden of waiting a little less hard.
You should contact IRB

peace123

Star Member
Jul 11, 2019
the schedule timeline of 4 asylum seekers around me

a: apply for asylum in September 2018
attend his hearing interview in July 2019
receive the decision of hearing in July .2019
apply for appeal in August .2019
receive the decision of appeal in November. 2019
apply for pre-removal risk assessment in 2021

b: he is from Bangladesh
apply for asylum in September 2018
attend his hearing interview in November 2018

c: he is from Yemen
apply for asylum in October 2018
attend his hearing interview in December 2018
receive the decision of hearing in March .2019
apply for permanent resident in March 2019

d: apply for asylum in October 2018
absent his hearing interview in November (or December) 2018
CBSA notice him to discuss his situation in September 2019

Reactions: jinglebell0123

noonestark

Nov 3, 2021
the schedule timeline of 4 asylum seekers around me

a: apply for asylum in September 2018
attend his hearing interview in July 2019
receive the decision of hearing in July .2019
apply for appeal in August .2019
receive the decision of appeal in November. 2019
apply for pre-removal risk assessment in 2021

b: he is from Bangladesh
apply for asylum in September 2018
attend his hearing interview in November 2018

c: he is from Yemen
apply for asylum in October 2018
attend his hearing interview in December 2018
receive the decision of hearing in March .2019
apply for permanent resident in March 2019

d: apply for asylum in October 2018
absent his hearing interview in November (or December) 2018
CBSA notice him to discuss his situation in September 2019
Dude for themm it's approximately 1 year, for me it s been 2 years with no news :(((

feltaye

Dec 28, 2016
Applied Feb2021
Eligibility July 2021
Less complex cases September 2021 (Docs submitted within deadline)
Received a call to schedule hearing Nov 2021
Hearing scheduled for April 2022

noonestark

Nov 3, 2021
Update : so I called IRB about my case and told them the things I mentioned above, they were so professional with me and they told me that my case was kinda left out because of all the delays due to Covid and everything. They asked me if I was ready for a hearing and checked if I had the same address and lawyer as before, and they suggested I write a letter where I explain to them why I am ready and think it s time to have a hearing. They also mentioned that I can include in the letter the availabilities of my lawyer so they can schedule a day that suits my lawyer and them as well. So I called my lawyer and he told me he can't really tell me when he's available, he's got too many cases on hand right now, and it's a confidential information that he cannot give me. What do you think guys, was my case left out because my lawyer didn't do his job of following it regularly, should I write the letter without mentioning my lawyer's availabilities and let IRB handle the rest (like communicate with my lawyer to fix a date ?). I don't know if changing my lawyer is a good idea, what if the other lawyer I get is as busy as him. To be honest guys, I am kind of lost here, any advices please?

Reactions: Norijal

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Update : so I called IRB about my case and told them the things I mentioned above, they were so professional with me and they told me that my case was kinda left out because of all the delays due to Covid and everything. They asked me if I was ready for a hearing and checked if I had the same address and lawyer as before, and they suggested I write a letter where I explain to them why I am ready and think it s time to have a hearing. They also mentioned that I can include in the letter the availabilities of my lawyer so they can schedule a day that suits my lawyer and them as well. So I called my lawyer and he told me he can't really tell me when he's available, he's got too many cases on hand right now, and it's a confidential information that he cannot give me. What do you think guys, was my case left out because my lawyer didn't do his job of following it regularly, should I write the letter without mentioning my lawyer's availabilities and let IRB handle the rest (like communicate with my lawyer to fix a date ?). I don't know if changing my lawyer is a good idea, what if the other lawyer I get is as busy as him. To be honest guys, I am kind of lost here, any advices please?
100% delay is from your lawyer. They don't schedule hearing until your lawyer provide availability and seems like your lawyer treat you as not his priority....make decision

Reactions: Norijal and zak86

noonestark

Nov 3, 2021
100% delay is from your lawyer. They don't schedule hearing until your lawyer provide availability and seems like your lawyer treat you as not his priority....make decision
Thanks for your reply, what do u suggest I do ? Should I change a lawyer or it takes a lot of time for this to happen? Can someone do a trial without a lawyer, is it easier or harder ?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thanks for your reply, what do u suggest I do ? Should I change a lawyer or it takes a lot of time for this to happen? Can someone do a trial without a lawyer, is it easier or harder ?
I'll leave that up to you to digest and make right decision

jinglebell0123

Jun 4, 2021
Burnaby, Canada
Category........
Other
Everyone can do the trial without having a lawyer, but it is always better to have a lawyer available, it is totally your decision but if you think it doesn't harm your case you can change the lawyer, but remember changing your lawyer in the middle can also harm you and can take more time until you find another one and they get to know your case and everything. my thinking is to push your current lawyer and make him put you as his priority. did you get him by legal aid? most of legal aid lawyers don't care too much about you or your case because you don't pay them.

Swagzzy

Jan 28, 2020
Everyone can do the trial without having a lawyer, but it is always better to have a lawyer available, it is totally your decision but if you think it doesn't harm your case you can change the lawyer, but remember changing your lawyer in the middle can also harm you and can take more time until you find another one and they get to know your case and everything. my thinking is to push your current lawyer and make him put you as his priority. did you get him by legal aid? most of legal aid lawyers don't care too much about you or your case because you don't pay them.
No. You can not go for hearing without a counsel unless you mean something else by trial. Immigration won’t attend to you for hearing without a lawyer. You might change your lawyer easily if it’s not a Legal Aid lawyer but, if it is a legal aid lawyer, you will have to go through the process and reason for changing your counsel.
Nonetheless, it’s your call so, you have to take a decision.

jinglebell0123

Jun 4, 2021
Burnaby, Canada
Category........
Other
No. You can not go for hearing without a counsel unless you mean something else by trial. Immigration won’t attend to you for hearing without a lawyer. You might change your lawyer easily if it’s not a Legal Aid lawyer but, if it is a legal aid lawyer, you will have to go through the process and reason for changing your counsel.
Nonetheless, it’s your call so, you have to take a decision.
On the contrary, you can go to a hearing without a lawyer. look it up or ask a lawyer, if someone thinks they can do it without a lawyer then you can. it is not legally mandatory. I have asked a couple lawyers in BC, they said it is only recommended.

Swagzzy

Jan 28, 2020
On the contrary, you can go to a hearing without a lawyer. look it up or ask a lawyer, if someone thinks they can do it without a lawyer then you can. it is not legally mandatory. I have asked a couple lawyers in BC, they said it is only recommended.
No sir. I am not saying what I read. I am saying what I know. When my first lawyer asked me to pay more money, I call immigration and said I will attend my hearing without a lawyer and they specifically said it is NOT possible without a counsel.

this person here asking this question can also try and comeback to feed us back if it is possible or not. Sometimes, there is no need for back and forth or arguing some things. It happened with me so I am speaking what I know.

jinglebell0123

Jun 4, 2021
Burnaby, Canada
Category........
Other
No sir. I am not saying what I read. I am saying what I know. When my first lawyer asked me to pay more money, I call immigration and said I will attend my hearing without a lawyer and they specifically said it is NOT possible without a counsel.

this person here asking this question can also try and comeback to feed us back if it is possible or not. Sometimes, there is no need for back and forth or arguing some things. It happened with me so I am speaking what I know.
You got me wrong with this one, if you already have a lawyer then you cannot attend a hearing without their presence. But you CAN attend a hearing without having to get a lawyer if you didn't have them in the first place.