+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Healthcare for Newcomers to Alberta

ruanp28

Feb 24, 2016
Hi guys, hoping someone here can help me. We are landing in Alberta on 21 June 2019 this year, as newcomers. We don't have an official address with utility bills and our names yet, as we are new and will be in an Airbnb for the first two weeks or maybe even longer. Can I just give my friend's address as proof of my residence in Alberta? It's also the address I will give for the PR card. I assume they know that newcomers don't necessarily already have addresses etc. and that there is a system in place for that.

Also, will we be covered immediately or should I get 3 months insurance as in the case of others who have settled in Ontario? We are landing in Toronto for a short visit before going to Alberta (one week visit to Toronto), so will just try to get travel insurance for that week until we land in Alberta.

Regarding I.D - Am I correct in assuming that my confirmation of permanent residence with my passport will be sufficient? In my fiance's case, will her Canadian passport be sufficient?

Thanks in advance.

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
Hi guys, hoping someone here can help me. We are landing in Alberta on 21 June 2019 this year, as newcomers. We don't have an official address with utility bills and our names yet, as we are new and will be in an Airbnb for the first two weeks or maybe even longer. Can I just give my friend's address as proof of my residence in Alberta? It's also the address I will give for the PR card. I assume they know that newcomers don't necessarily already have addresses etc. and that there is a system in place for that.

Also, will we be covered immediately or should I get 3 months insurance as in the case of others who have settled in Ontario? We are landing in Toronto for a short visit before going to Alberta (one week visit to Toronto), so will just try to get travel insurance for that week until we land in Alberta.

Regarding I.D - Am I correct in assuming that my confirmation of permanent residence with my passport will be sufficient? In my fiance's case, will her Canadian passport be sufficient?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, you can give your friends address in Alberta.

In Alberta, you will be covered for Provincial Health Insurance Plan from the first day. And yes, it is recommended to cover you and your family when you are in Ontario with a travel insurance.

Regarding IDs - I would recommend to have all the documents with PR along with you. If possible have additional pieces of ID - 2 is recommended.