+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health Insurance while on work permit in Canada

F

fl_gnv

Dear members,

Does anyone know how health insurance is provided for people on work permits? Does the person have to buy health insurance themselves or does the employer provide it or can they participate in the state health insurance program?
Many thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

fl_gnv said:
Dear members,

Does anyone know how health insurance is provided for people on work permits? Does the person have to buy health insurance themselves or does the employer provide it or can they participate in the state health insurance program?
Many thanks
It depends on the province.

PMM

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

fl_gnv said:
What about working in Ontario province?
"you are a foreign worker who holds a work permit valid for at least 6-months which permits you to work in Canada, and you are working under a formal agreement in place to work full-time for an employer situated in Ontario which sets out the employer’s name, your occupation, and states that you will be working for no less than six consecutive months;"

3 months waiting period.

PMM

dave373

Sep 22, 2008
I am on work permit, and I got my health card.. no health premium, except when you filed tax, if your income bracket is higher than certain level, you pay Ontario Health Premium at that time. Actually Ontario is the province that penalize high income bracket. Other provinces just have a flat rate applied to all people.

Just get your work permit and go to OHIP office, fill out the form, show your work permit. They will give you a paper proof first, and you can use that to see doctor RIGHT AWAY. It takes 5 min if there's no line up. They will mail you the health card in around 1 - 2 weeks, I think.

Waiting period I am not sure

check it out here

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/program/ohip/ohipfaq_dt.html#4