+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health Insurance Validity

DRGN

Jan 9, 2013
Hi All!

I am coming to Montreal this month with my wife on Work Permit from Pakistan. I have little confusion regarding health coverage as reading is not making it clear for me. I am planning that my wife visit Pakistan for 3 months every year. Is it possible that she remains covered for rest 9 months while in Canada or her 3 months outside stay will void her Health Insurance eligibility?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you go to http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citizens/health-insurance/registration/Pages/eligibility.aspx they define people who are in Canada temporarily:

Some people staying in Québec temporary, who are coming from outside Canada, may also be entitled to a Health Insurance Card if they:

* are in Québec temporarily to work;
* have received a study or training scholarship;
* are the spouse of the worker or trainee and are accompanying that person;
* are a dependant of the worker or trainee and are accompanying that person.
Then they say about retaining your coverage:

If you have taken up residence in Québec, you must be present here more than half of the year in order to remain covered.

To retain the right to use your Health Insurance Card as a person in Québec for a temporary stay, you must be present in Québec for the entire duration of your stay, not including periods of 21 consecutive days or less. If you leave Québec for more than 21 consecutive days, you will not be covered by the Health Insurance Plan during your entire period of absence from Québec. As a temporary resident, you must notify the Régie when absent from Québec for more than 21 consecutive days.
If you need some clarification of this, you should ask RAMQ after you have arrived.