+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health Insurance Question

wickerman

Jun 20, 2017
Hey guys

I landed in Canada on the 21st of August, I have a couple of questions regarding health insurance.

I moved from the US and in the US I was prescribed for a few medications.

Some of these are going to be running out before OHIP starts. So I need to see a doctor before that happens and get my prescription refilled.

However, the Canadian doctor might require a repeat medical test (not sure).

a) Whatever health insurance plan I have inquired about, seems to be emergency coverage only - they dont seem to cover consultations or medical examinations that require long term, routine treatment. Is this how it is or am I not looking at other options that do offer coverage for my needs?

b) I was thinking of going to a community health center, to see a doctor. However, are these open for recent immigrants?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'd go to a walk in clinic or another family doctor and pay cash. That's wha most people have to do for regular treatment before they receive OHIP. You are allowed to bring a 90 day supply of Rx medication when you enter Canada. You will also have to pay cash at the pharmacy. The doctor's appointment is usually under $100.

wickerman

Jun 20, 2017
I'd go to a walk in clinic or another family doctor and pay cash. That's wha most people have to do for regular treatment before they receive OHIP. You are allowed to bring a 90 day supply of Rx medication when you enter Canada. You will also have to pay cash at the pharmacy. The doctor's appointment is usually under $100.
I do have a 90 day supply. It ends right on the day my OHIP kicks in. So I wanted to go to a doctor a week before. The prescription drugs are not a problem - Ill just use the prescription and buy them after OHIP kicks in (since I have pills till that date).

What about community health centers - are they free before the OHIP kicks in? And do they do tests etc for free as well? I called the local community health center but the guy who picked up couldnt answer anything. Any idea there?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I do have a 90 day supply. It ends right on the day my OHIP kicks in. So I wanted to go to a doctor a week before. The prescription drugs are not a problem - Ill just use the prescription and buy them after OHIP kicks in (since I have pills till that date).

What about community health centers - are they free before the OHIP kicks in? And do they do tests etc for free as well? I called the local community health center but the guy who picked up couldnt answer anything. Any idea there?
Not sure I know what you're talking about when you refer to community health centres. There are doctors offices who have their own registered patients and walk in clinics. If you are not under 25 and have no extended health benefits through your employer you have to pay cash for your prescription. Canada doesn't have a national pharmacare plan.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Should mention that you will need to call around to find a GP that is accepting new patients. Paying to see them may be an option before you become part of their practice and have an intake exam. There is a list of physicians and those who are taking new patients on the Ontario college of physician and surgeon website. Not sure how often they update the list of MDs accepting new patients. You can also ask around. Newer graduates should be setting up their practices at this time of year.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Not sure I know what you're talking about when you refer to community health centres. There are doctors offices who have their own registered patients and walk in clinics. If you are not under 25 and have no extended health benefits through your employer you have to pay cash for your prescription. Canada doesn't have a national pharmacare plan.
Here is example of the CHC

http://www.fourcornershealthcentre.ca/about-us/what-is-a-chc.html

Here is a message in one of the whatsapp group from a new immigrant who utilized their services

"Register yourself in four corners community health service center in Brampton who provide health care from 1st day after landing. They cover emergencies and general consultation. Just like OHIP they do not pay for medicines prescribed by their docs. Hospitalisation covered in prescribed hospitals except for hospital beds and admin charges. They mentioned they are mostly in Peel region where immigrant settlement is the highest. We just got ourselves registered here as we didn't get an insurance and OHIP is 2 months away. They mentioned their free services continue after we receive our health card too and said we would not be required to reach out to family or priviate doctor as they have their team in place and are reachable 24*7 and we do not have to pay them anything. They arrange for pick up and drop to visit them if the centre is not close by."

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Here is a message in one of the whatsapp group from a new immigrant who utilized their services

"Register yourself in four corners community health service center in Brampton who provide health care from 1st day after landing. They cover emergencies and general consultation. Just like OHIP they do not pay for medicines prescribed by their docs. Hospitalisation covered in prescribed hospitals except for hospital beds and admin charges. They mentioned they are mostly in Peel region where immigrant settlement is the highest. We just got ourselves registered here as we didn't get an insurance and OHIP is 2 months away. They mentioned their free services continue after we receive our health card too and said we would not be required to reach out to family or priviate doctor as they have their team in place and are reachable 24*7 and we do not have to pay them anything. They arrange for pick up and drop to visit them if the centre is not close by."
Seems like this is really limited to low income populations, or families who are higher need due to lack of English language, cultural differences that could affect issues related to healthcare, etc. The general population wouldn't qualify for these services. Based on your previous questions you would need seek out a normal doctor's office or walk-in clinic.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You also shouldn't qualify for this clinic. You've been living in the US, you are a skilled professional and not low income and I would imagine you don't have big obstacles in using the normal Canadian medical system. Not sure if you've used the clinic but eventually the clinic will realize you are not the target population and ask you to use a normal GP. Hopefully you will seek out a normal GP for your family. I waited the 3 months and didn't seek out free services that were created for marginalized individuals so I didn't have to wait or pay for an appointment. When they mention no OHIP the are really targeting illegal immigrants, refugees when they first arrive and because they only recently received health care before their hearings. I know you are "new" to Canada but you are not the typical "new Canadian" they are talking about.

Become a Client
Free of charge, registered clients at Four Corners Health Centre can access a wide range of programs and services designed to improve health and build on individual and community strengths.

• Clients must live in Malton and have a postal code starting with L4T; and
  • Clients must identify with one of the following priority populations:
Youth
  • Ages 13 to 25
Families who are under-resourced
  • Families who spend 30% or more of their income on housing, or
  • Sole support parent, or
  • Families with social assistance (OW or ODSP) as a primary source of income
Newcomers
  • Those who have lived in Canada 7 years or less
  • People without Ontario health care coverage (OHIP)
Seniors
  • People aged 65 and older, and
  • Physically frail seniors with mobility difficulties, or
  • Seniors with limited contact with friends and family or others their own age
People from racialized communities
  • People experiencing systemic discrimination accessing required supports because they are subject to racial categorization
  • People who experience discrimination because of their race, ethnicity, country of origin, immigration status, etc.

Last edited:

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
You also shouldn't qualify for this clinic. You've been living in the US, you are a skilled professional and not low income and I would imagine you don't have big obstacles in using the normal Canadian medical system. Not sure if you've used the clinic but eventually the clinic will realize you are not the target population and ask you to use a normal GP. Hopefully you will seek out a normal GP for your family. I waited the 3 months and didn't seek out free services that were created for marginalized individuals so I didn't have to wait or pay for an appointment. When they mention no OHIP the are really targeting illegal immigrants, refugees when they first arrive and because they only recently received health care before their hearings. I know you are "new" to Canada but you are not the typical "new Canadian" they are talking about.
I have never used their services and most probably won't be using them when I move to Canada as they are not close to neighborhood where I plan to settle. However from chatter at whatsapp groups I know that few "new comers" from India used their services while waiting for OHIP and these people were not asked to submit any proof of "low income". As far as I can recall people mentioned that only drawback of using these CHC was that they had limited space and multiple patients were being triage-d in single big room before being moved to separate rooms for consultation with doctors.