+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health insurance - mandatory prior to landing?

astralsource

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2016
Croatia
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
22-04-2017
Med's Request
19-06-2017
Med's Done....
13-04-2017
Hi,

I want to go to Ontario. Ontario offers Health insurance after 3 months in the province.
Am I obliged to get private insurance or not?

CIC: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/after-checklist.asp

"Learn about health care in Canada, and get private health insurance. Private insurance pays for emergency medical costs until you obtain government health insurance in Canada."

omarimam

Apr 11, 2016
Ottawa-Ontario
NOC Code......
astralsource said:
Hi,

I want to go to Ontario. Ontario offers Health insurance after 3 months in the province.
Am I obliged to get private insurance or not?

CIC: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/after-checklist.asp

"Learn about health care in Canada, and get private health insurance. Private insurance pays for emergency medical costs until you obtain government health insurance in Canada."
Yes you can, but its not mandatory.

best of luck

astralsource

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2016
Croatia
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
22-04-2017
Med's Request
19-06-2017
Med's Done....
13-04-2017
Then I will not, I am responsible for all my stuff anyway. Thank you

garyastudent

Sep 3, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
astralsource said:
Then I will not, I am responsible for all my stuff anyway. Thank you
You are not obliged to have a Private Health Insurance , however buying it will not be very expensive, keeping in mind the Cost of the medication and Consulting a doctor here in Canada.

I am telling it from the personal experience, I had to go to emergency as that was the closest to me, and they informed me that it will cost me $750 for the registration and then there will be bedding, if they think that I have to be admitted and all the other expenses on top of it.

Heath insurance for 3 month will probably cost you around CAD 150-200 (Could be cheaper as well depending on an individual) .... Worth spending...

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Illness doesn't always come with prior warning. You never know when you need medical care. I think some provinces cover you immediately while you have to wait for 3 months for others. If you are not entitled for healthcare and you need to access medical facilities, it will be expensive and you would have to pay for it. Better to be safe than sorry.

astralsource

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2016
Croatia
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
22-04-2017
Med's Request
19-06-2017
Med's Done....
13-04-2017
xpressentry said:
Illness doesn't always come with prior warning. You never know when you need medical care. I think some provinces cover you immediately while you have to wait for 3 months for others. If you are not entitled for healthcare and you need to access medical facilities, it will be expensive and you would have to pay for it. Better to be safe than sorry.
Wow, astronomical prices. Of course, Im taking it into consideration, thankyou!

DiNaV

Feb 25, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-May-2016
AOR Received.
22-Apr-2017
IELTS Request
30-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
06-Mar-2017(Pre-meds)
You are not obliged to have a Private Health Insurance , however buying it will not be very expensive, keeping in mind the Cost of the medication and Consulting a doctor here in Canada.

I am telling it from the personal experience, I had to go to emergency as that was the closest to me, and they informed me that it will cost me $750 for the registration and then there will be bedding, if they think that I have to be admitted and all the other expenses on top of it.

Heath insurance for 3 month will probably cost you around CAD 150-200 (Could be cheaper as well depending on an individual) .... Worth spending...
How and from where can we get this health insurance?
And can it be got prior to landing? How?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Guys think about landing in Alberta. If you land there, they'd give insurance from day 1 if you come from out of country (not moving from different province).

Reactions: garyastudent

garyastudent

Sep 3, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How and from where can we get this health insurance?
And can it be got prior to landing? How?
there are a lot of options available online, like from Manulife, Sunlife, Blue Shield, you can search on google there will be plenty of options to choose from, try and chose from the ones which provide Cashless facility wherein hospital or doctors will charge the Insurance provider itself (try Great Westlife, not sure if they have something that you are looking for but they are good).

And yes you can buy it from outside Canada.

Reactions: DiNaV

DiNaV

Feb 25, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-May-2016
AOR Received.
22-Apr-2017
IELTS Request
30-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
06-Mar-2017(Pre-meds)
there are a lot of options available online, like from Manulife, Sunlife, Blue Shield, you can search on google there will be plenty of options to choose from, try and chose from the ones which provide Cashless facility wherein hospital or doctors will charge the Insurance provider itself (try Great Westlife, not sure if they have something that you are looking for but they are good).

And yes you can buy it from outside Canada.
Thanks!

I have even heard that RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) has insurance facility when you open an account with them. Any idea about that?

garyastudent

Sep 3, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks!

I have even heard that RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) has insurance facility when you open an account with them. Any idea about that?
Everyone has that option, however it depends where you will be living, as CIBC works better for me, the ATM is and was always closer to my Home or work place....