+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health insurance for US born baby until he gets his PR documents

mom_of_two

May 31, 2012
Hello! We will be moving back to Canada in July and have a 5 year old who was born in the US, before we were Canadian citizens (we were PR). We realize that we have to sponsor the child for PR, but until he gets the documents (and 3 months afterwards) he will not be covered by OHIP. If anybody has been in this situation, could you please advise what is the best way to go? Can I buy private insurance for a child? Would it be expensive (it is in the US)? Thank you!
mom_of_two

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have two options. Try to find some type of travel / emergency insurance in the US that will cover him in Canada or find an insurance in Canada.

There is a user on this forum who is an insurance broker, maybe he can help you. His username is haver

karank

Star Member
Mar 8, 2017
Hello! We will be moving back to Canada in July and have a 5 year old who was born in the US, before we were Canadian citizens (we were PR). We realize that we have to sponsor the child for PR, but until he gets the documents (and 3 months afterwards) he will not be covered by OHIP. If anybody has been in this situation, could you please advise what is the best way to go? Can I buy private insurance for a child? Would it be expensive (it is in the US)? Thank you!
mom_of_two
Hello, may I ask what did you end up doing as I am in the same situation and any help is appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are asking someone who posted 7 years ago. You need to purchase emergency medical insurance and pay for regular care.