+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health Insurance for PR (Express Entry)

Dec 27, 2017
Hello all,

Just a little question:

I have PR (from express entry) and will fly to Canada in 3-4 months for the first time.
Do I need to have a health insurance before landing. Some people say that a private health ins. would be essential as the procedure of the canadian health system to cover you would take about 3 months. Therefore, a 3 month private insurance is required. Otherwise, I would pay a lot, if need to see a doctor.

Does anyone know about it? Shall I have a private insurance covering the fisrt 3 months?

Thanks all in advance

strikeharsh

Apr 6, 2018
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Every province has different policies. I strongly suggest that you google each province’s health card policy and decide what to do. Or you can hire an immigration consultant.

Reactions: LuckyCent

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
> Do I need to have a health insurance before landing. Some people say that a private health ins. would be essential as the procedure of the canadian health system to cover you would take about 3 months. Therefore, a 3 month private insurance is required. Otherwise, I would pay a lot, if need to see a doctor.

Almost every province has a 3 months waiting period. If I recall the exception was Alberta where it starts after arrival. Research your province's health insurance.

> Shall I have a private insurance covering the fisrt 3 months?
It depends on how risk averse you are.
Many private insurances cover the emergencies only. Not having insurance means you pay out of pocket anything. Just seeing a doctor for basic stuff won't break the bank, but anything requiring emergency treatment at hospitals easily runs into 5 figures...

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
Hello all,

Just a little question:

I have PR (from express entry) and will fly to Canada in 3-4 months for the first time.
Do I need to have a health insurance before landing. Some people say that a private health ins. would be essential as the procedure of the canadian health system to cover you would take about 3 months. Therefore, a 3 month private insurance is required. Otherwise, I would pay a lot, if need to see a doctor.

Does anyone know about it? Shall I have a private insurance covering the fisrt 3 months?

Thanks all in advance
You don't need it before landing. But its better to have one in case of an emergency. Check the details about the health insurance provided by the province where you plan to stay. If you are not covered from day 1, its better to have some insurance at least.

testtrav2

Star Member
Dec 7, 2017
Hello all,

Just a little question:

Thanks all in advance
where are you planning to settle in canada?
In ontario insurance is provided 90 days after you apply as new immigrants (its residency establishment)
for first 90 days you may buy insurance if you need
also shop for proper insurance product. my company provided a insurance called IHIP from sunlife which cover most of what ohip covers\
if you take visitor insurance insurance etc please be aware it may cover mostly emergency medical assistance and not regular visits etc

Am I eligible for OHIP right away or do I have to wait?
There may be a three-month waiting period for your OHIP coverage.

Generally speaking, if you are a newcomer to Ontario, or a former resident returning here to live after being out of the country for more than seven months, the waiting period begins on the date you establish or re-establish residence in Ontario. You may also be required to be present in Ontario for 153 days of the first 183 days immediately following the date residence is established in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residence).

If you are an eligible resident moving to Ontario from another part of Canada, the health insurance of your former province/territory may cover you during the waiting period for OHIPcoverage.

If you are not covered by another province/territory, it is important to buy private health insurance to cover you until your Ontario health insurance coverage becomes effective.

Last edited:
Reactions: LuckyCent