+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health Insurance for Extended of Stay, HELP!

tyt2012

Star Member
Aug 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2013
AOR Received.
20-12-2013
IELTS Request
Send w/ application
Med's Request
21-05-2-14
Med's Done....
25-06-2014
Passport Req..
24-July-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
6-September-2014
My mum is here in Canada almost 5 months (Visitor visa, arrive in May). I am trying to extend her stay in Canada until Jan, 2016.

In order to extend her stay, I need to purchase health insurance for her. But I call Blue Cross today and request a quote. They told me they can only sell me the health insurance before the arrival or within 30 days she arrives.

What should I do now?

Is that any other way to extend her stay in Canada without buying the health insurance? She only stay here for two more months. She has multiple-entry visitor visa.
If I am buying health insurance for her, when is the start day? when is the end date?

HELP!!!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Manulife supplies coverage for visitors already in Canada.

http://www.coverme.com/products/travel-insurance-visitors.jsp

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
Yes, most of the Canadian insurance companies do not allow people to purchase medial insurance for Visitors to Canada after 30 days since the arrival date.

Yet, there are several insurance providers, who would only have a certain policy waiting period. As for Manulife, it will be an 8-day waiting period, so to speak.

As for the Start / Effective Date you would need to select the date of purchase, yet the actual Arrival Date has to be also mentioned on the application. Additionally, you will need to decide on the Expiry Date yourself. Yet, you may cancel the insurance policy and get a pro-rated refund, provided that there were no insurance claims, by the time an insured person leaves Canada.

You may take a look at another insurance plan that only has a 48-hour waiting period before you are able to make eligible insurance claims, even though a person to be insured has been staying in Canada for several months as of now

Click to take a look at the plan Visitors to Canada Insurance

Last edited:

geger

Star Member
Jul 30, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar-Senegal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
01-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2013
LANDED..........
27-03-2013
Hi,

I do not think that you need health insurance to extend her visa. But she may be requested to do medical exams.
Is she on super visa?

tyt2012

Star Member
Aug 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2013
AOR Received.
20-12-2013
IELTS Request
Send w/ application
Med's Request
21-05-2-14
Med's Done....
25-06-2014
Passport Req..
24-July-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
6-September-2014
geger said:
Hi,

I do not think that you need health insurance to extend her visa. But she may be requested to do medical exams.
Is she on super visa?
No, She is not on Super Visa. She is on regular visitor visa (multiple entry- 5 years).
Her visa expiry date is Nov 25th, 2015. I only need to extend her stay until Jan 30, 2016. Then she will leave the country for three weeks. Then she will come back again. Is that ok?

So, I don't want to extend her stay by going to the "Super Visa" Category. I has been asking my friends, they also did not purchase health insurance for their parents. If you look at the IMM5558, I don't have to fill up the bottom part (first page) right? I only fill up the top part for her extension.

Please advise.

geger

Star Member
Jul 30, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar-Senegal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
01-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2013
LANDED..........
27-03-2013
tyt2012 said:
No, She is not on Super Visa. She is on regular visitor visa (multiple entry- 5 years).
Her visa expiry date is Nov 25th, 2015. I only need to extend her stay until Jan 30, 2016. Then she will leave the country for three weeks. Then she will come back again. Is that ok?

So, I don't want to extend her stay by going to the "Super Visa" Category. I has been asking my friends, they also did not purchase health insurance for their parents. If you look at the IMM5558, I don't have to fill up the bottom part (first page) right? I only fill up the top part for her extension.

Please advise.
Hi,

She doesn't need health insurance since her stay is less than 6 months. But she may be requested to undergo medical exams. For the form IMM5558 you just need the top one.

Why don`t you do it online.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/mycic.asp

tyt2012

Star Member
Aug 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2013
AOR Received.
20-12-2013
IELTS Request
Send w/ application
Med's Request
21-05-2-14
Med's Done....
25-06-2014
Passport Req..
24-July-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
6-September-2014
Thanks Geger. I am thinking to go with paper application. Because me and my mum are going home for 3 weeks in February, 2016. I am worry we will not hear from CIC before she left the country. I think the processing time will slow down when it closes to Christmas.

1) Can she do the upfront medical first? I know she has to do the medical check up anyway. And I have only two doctors in my area did it. It is quite hard to book appointment.

2)If she left the country without hearing from CIC. And we did not do the medical upfront. Can she still come back after 3 weeks? (p/s she has multiple-entry visa). If they approve the visa during the 3 weeks period (she will be in hometown), can she come back and do the medical check up here in Canada? How soon CIC want us to have the medical done?

Thanks again.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
tyt2012 said:
Thanks Geger. I am thinking to go with paper application. Because me and my mum are going home for 3 weeks in February, 2016. I am worry we will not hear from CIC before she left the country. I think the processing time will slow down when it closes to Christmas.

1) Can she do the upfront medical first? I know she has to do the medical check up anyway. And I have only two doctors in my area did it. It is quite hard to book appointment.

2)If she left the country without hearing from CIC. And we did not do the medical upfront. Can she still come back after 3 weeks? (p/s she has multiple-entry visa). If they approve the visa during the 3 weeks period (she will be in hometown), can she come back and do the medical check up here in Canada? How soon CIC want us to have the medical done?

Thanks again.
yes she can do a upfront medical BUT better to wait as cic may not request a medical if she already had undergone a medical in her past 12 months and secondly they sometimes approve the extension with a condition to get medicals done laters (so you will have good time for the medicals tobe done)

2)If she left the country without hearing from CIC. And we did not do the medical upfront. Can she still come back after 3 weeks? (p/s she has multiple-entry visa).
once your mother leave canada the extension application will automatically be considered cancelled. no matter even she gets approved or leave without hearing back from CIC, the extension will not be valid (if she leaves canada) and cannot be used to enter into canada again. every time she enters into canada she will be access as visitor/super visa holder and will be granted a new entry and new authorized stay time in canada. she has a multiple entry visa which allows her to re-enter into canada but there is no grantee that she will be allowed as it depends on the CBSA officer she encounters upon seeking entry.

2 (b) If they approve the visa during the 3 weeks period (she will be in hometown), can she come back and do the medical check up here in Canada? How soon CIC want us to have the medical done?
If they approve the extension during the 3 week period when she is not present in canada, the extension will have no validity and will be considered cancelled as she cannot use it to re-entry into canada. Her re-entry into canada will be based on her visa she will get her passport stamped and she will be allowed to stay in canada based on her latest entry/stamp.

aaad

Star Member
Sep 16, 2009
Hi Tyt,

I wants to know when will we come to know for how long we are able to stay in Canada?At the airport?? Moreover is it necessary to buy medical insurance from the homecountry or we can buy it once we reach Canada?Thirdly, do we have to buy return airticket as well or one way ticket is fine?

Thanks

tyt2012

Star Member
Aug 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2013
AOR Received.
20-12-2013
IELTS Request
Send w/ application
Med's Request
21-05-2-14
Med's Done....
25-06-2014
Passport Req..
24-July-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
6-September-2014
aaad said:
Hi Tyt,

I wants to know when will we come to know for how long we are able to stay in Canada?At the airport?? Moreover is it necessary to buy medical insurance from the homecountry or we can buy it once we reach Canada?Thirdly, do we have to buy return airticket as well or one way ticket is fine?

Thanks
You can check on CIC website. It said that 6 months for visitor visa. Please check the "Status in Canada" section.

You need to buy the medical insurance from a Canadian company. If you applying Super Visa, you need to purchase the medical insurance ahead of time in order to complete the application package.

For the return ticket, it depends on your visa status. if you are on "visitor visa" and planning to stay in Canada for 6 months, then you may need to have a return ticket. If you are on "Super visa", then I don't think you need to have a return ticket.

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
IN terms of medical insurance - if you already have a Super Visa - the insurance requirement is not as strict- you can purchase it before or after coming to Canada. One reason to do it beforehand is to avoid a waiting period - which sometimes is up to 7 days. Same thing with visitors visa.

If it's the first time applying - then definitely the insurance is part of the application so it is required you have it and submit it for processing as part of the application.

OnlineInsPro

Star Member
Dec 12, 2011
Actually, your information is not quite right goldenbrown. The CIC's requirement for insurance is that the applicant must supply proof of a minimum of $100,000 of medical coverage from a Canadian Insurance Company for 365 days with their application for visa, BUT Thereafter they must maintain the insurance for their entire duration of stay within Canada. It can not be purchased on a second visit after you arrive, as you risk not being allowed into Canada if you do (breach of visa requirement). One should DEFINITELY obtain their coverage PRIOR TO ARRIVING into Canada to avoid this possibility not to mention the wait-period you referred to. There are many plans that will not issue coverage to those already in Canada unless they are currently covered by another plan. There are also those that will not cover someone without current coverage regardless of situation. There are some however, including Acceptus VTC plans which we have recently introduce at Travelinsure.ca for our Canadian Visitor clients. If you are here on a PG1 visa, a V1 visa, on IEC Canada, or for any other reason really, as long as you are currently in good health and not expecting to make a claim, we can cover you immediately for accidents, and after 5 days for sickness, even if your current plan has expired or is non-existent. Please check us out... http://travelinsure.ca/acceptus-visitor-to-canada-insurance

Tracy DesLaurier, Super Visa Expert
Travelinsue.ca
1-855-933-7462
info@travelinsure.ca