WAIVED
Passport Req..
7Oct2010
VISA ISSUED...
21Oct2010
LANDED..........
30Jun2011
Hi,
I have 3 questions and would really appreciate if someone can shed a light to any of these:
(1) If an immigrant lands in Vancouver, BC , when can he/she apply for a health card? How long is the wait process before he/she becomes eligible for the insurance??
(2) If an immigrant lands in Alberta, when can he/she apply for a health card? How long is the wait process before he/she becomes eligible for the insurance?
(3) If an immigrant lands in Toronto, when can he/she apply for a health card? How long is the wait process before he/she becomes eligible for the insurance?

Thanks a lot!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

AvayaLenovo said:
Hi,
I have 3 questions and would really appreciate if someone can shed a light to any of these:
(1) If an immigrant lands in Vancouver, BC , when can he/she apply for a health card? How long is the wait process before he/she becomes eligible for the insurance??
(2) If an immigrant lands in Alberta, when can he/she apply for a health card? How long is the wait process before he/she becomes eligible for the insurance?
(3) If an immigrant lands in Toronto, when can he/she apply for a health card? How long is the wait process before he/she becomes eligible for the insurance?

Thanks a lot!
1. Applies right away and is eligible in the 3rd month after "landing"
2. Same day, eligible immediately.
3. See 1.

AvayaLenovo

Star Member
Jul 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13Oct2009
Doc's Request.
10Dec2009
AOR Received.
09Apr2010
Med's Request
25Aug2010
Med's Done....
2Sep2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
7Oct2010
VISA ISSUED...
21Oct2010
LANDED..........
30Jun2011
PMM said:
Hi

1. Applies right away and is eligible in the 3rd month after "landing"
2. Same day, eligible immediately.
3. See 1.
Thanks for your quick reply, PMM! But is there any requirement that you should have been "physically residing" in the province for a certain number of months in any of the above provinces before you become eligible?

We just landed last June and we just found out today that my wife is pregnant. We are currently working here in the US and our visa will expire in March 2012 (expected due date of the baby is April 2012). We want to know if it's best for us to move to CAnada as soon as possible or just stay here in the US (with work) until our visa expires (so we can maximize the $$$). We're thinking it would be hard if both of us won't have jobs in Canada and at the same time, no health insurance for the birth of the child.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, in BC and ON, you must have resided in that province for 3 months before you can get the health care. In ON, there is also a rule that in your first 6 months after you move to the province, you must stay there for at least 5. In most provinces, there is a residency rule of having to stay there for at least 6 months a year in order to keep your coverage.

BC, ON, Quebec and NB are actually the only provinces that have a 3 month waiting period for health care for people who are moving from another country. All other provinces, including AB, MB, SK and others will give you a health card right away when you are moving from abroad.

nemesis077

Sep 7, 2011
I have the same situatin as AvayaLenovo my wife she is preganant we landed in june 2011 for a month but we didn't applied for health card.

But the situation is now we are expecting a baby in 1 week of March and we are planning to go in first week of January 2012. As far as i know I am not covered by OHIP for the first 3 months but someone told me that I can pay for my medical bills but once I will get my OHIP and cover my 3 month period I will get my money back by the state?

I am not sure how it is true but if some have some knowledge please shed some light on it.

Thanks

AvayaLenovo

Star Member
Jul 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13Oct2009
Doc's Request.
10Dec2009
AOR Received.
09Apr2010
Med's Request
25Aug2010
Med's Done....
2Sep2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
7Oct2010
VISA ISSUED...
21Oct2010
LANDED..........
30Jun2011
nemesis077 said:
I have the same situatin as AvayaLenovo my wife she is preganant we landed in june 2011 for a month but we didn't applied for health card.

But the situation is now we are expecting a baby in 1 week of March and we are planning to go in first week of January 2012. As far as i know I am not covered by OHIP for the first 3 months but someone told me that I can pay for my medical bills but once I will get my OHIP and cover my 3 month period I will get my money back by the state?

I am not sure how it is true but if some have some knowledge please shed some light on it.

Thanks
No, that's not true I believe. "Eligibility" starts after 3 months of residence for OHIP. If you are not eligible at the time of birth, then you cannot reimburse anything. Can you consider AB? That's what we did. We went there last Oct 13 and applied for health card, and went back to US. Then by the end of this month, we will be transferring permanently there. At least now, we don't have to worry about health insurance...good especially for pregnant :) They gave us a temporary health card which is as good as the actual health card until we receive it. Good luck!

nemesis077

Sep 7, 2011
No I can't all my family lives in toronto and I beleive you have to stay there few months like 6 months then you can move to other province.