+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

health coverage in Quebec / Covid-19

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
Hello

I am a PR who applied through express entry system (non Quebec). Landed originally in the English speaking part of Canada. Got my PR card and spend several months in non Quebec provinces.

Recently moved to Quebec as I speak French. My original intent was English speaking province, but needed to move to Quebec.
I doubt there are grounds for misrepresentation and moreover I am PR anyway. I have track record of all attempts to settle in English speaking provinces (job applications, attendance to workshop to work on my skills, etc.).

This was to give a bit of context. When I moved to Quebec, I did not have too much issues except for health coverage.
I applied in regular manner but did not get my health coverage card sent out to me after the 3 month waiting period. I was told to wait and it was not even clear if I got coverage or not. Over the phone, I was told by the agent that my coverage has started as I was illegible but it would take some time to have the health coverage card to be mailed out to me. I do not even know what is my ID number for health coverage. All in all it was not a straightforward process at all, and had to mail/fax documents.

I traveled afterward out of Canada for personal reasons and then Covid-19 occured. I do not have access to my mailbox.

My questions:

- I am outside Canada, how to know my status with regard to health coverage?
- Its been about 3 months that I am outside of Canada, do I need to cancel the coverage, if I supposed I am covered at this moment?
- Will there be considerations or relaxing measures in regard to Covid-19 travel restrictions?
- If I manage to travel to Canada and for some reasons do have symptoms (get infected) and for some reasons, coverage was not granted, I may face costs for hospitalization, is this a valid concern?

What is your recommendation in general?

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello

I am a PR who applied through express entry system (non Quebec). Landed originally in the English speaking part of Canada. Got my PR card and spend several months in non Quebec provinces.

Recently moved to Quebec as I speak French. My original intent was English speaking province, but needed to move to Quebec.
I doubt there are grounds for misrepresentation and moreover I am PR anyway. I have track record of all attempts to settle in English speaking provinces (job applications, attendance to workshop to work on my skills, etc.).

This was to give a bit of context. When I moved to Quebec, I did not have too much issues except for health coverage.
I applied in regular manner but did not get my health coverage card sent out to me after the 3 month waiting period. I was told to wait and it was not even clear if I got coverage or not. Over the phone, I was told by the agent that my coverage has started as I was illegible but it would take some time to have the health coverage card to be mailed out to me. I do not even know what is my ID number for health coverage. All in all it was not a straightforward process at all, and had to mail/fax documents.

I traveled afterward out of Canada for personal reasons and then Covid-19 occured. I do not have access to my mailbox.

My questions:

- I am outside Canada, how to know my status with regard to health coverage?
- Its been about 3 months that I am outside of Canada, do I need to cancel the coverage, if I supposed I am covered at this moment?
- Will there be considerations or relaxing measures in regard to Covid-19 travel restrictions?
- If I manage to travel to Canada and for some reasons do have symptoms (get infected) and for some reasons, coverage was not granted, I may face costs for hospitalization, is this a valid concern?

What is your recommendation in general?

Thanks
Yes you have to start again with your application for coverage and advise RAMQ that you have been out of Quebec for x months after applying. Did you google?

https://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/regie/press-room/Pages/questions-answers-services-during-pandemic.aspx

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
Sorry, what are you saying? I do not understand.

here it says:
If you are currently unable to return to Québec, please note that your eligibility for Québec health insurance will not at all be called into question. You can remain outside Québec until July 1, 2020 without any impact to your coverage.

How do you refer me to google, when your own input is adding to my confusion. What is x months?

I do not feel informed at this point. I feel I must call the phone tree line at which point I will get even more confuse.
I do not want to make more critics here out of respect to healthcare workers that are striving against Covid now. Timing is not adequate.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sorry, what are you saying? I do not understand.

here it says:
If you are currently unable to return to Québec, please note that your eligibility for Québec health insurance will not at all be called into question. You can remain outside Québec until July 1, 2020 without any impact to your coverage.

How do you refer me to google, when your own input is adding to my confusion. What is x months?

I do not feel informed at this point. I feel I must call the phone tree line at which point I will get even more confuse.
I do not want to make more critics here out of respect to healthcare workers that are striving against Covid now. Timing is not adequate.
You have to reapply for RAMQ again because you have not met the residency requirements.

Covid is covered for anyone irregardless of their status in Quebec.

As per the website I attached.
COVID-19: information and screening
I want to undergo a COVID-19 screening test. How do I proceed?

If you need to go to a COVID-19 screening clinic, call 1 877 644-4545 first. If your condition warrants it, you will be referred to a screening clinic where you will receive the test, whether or not you have a Health Insurance Card. For all other questions about COVID-19, go to the Québec.ca website.
What coverage does Québec provide for COVID-19 screening and care?

COVID-19 screening tests are covered for all persons on Québec territory, whether or not they have a Health Insurance Card.
For other costs, refer to the following table:
Health Care Coverage by category of person on March 30, 2020
Category of personScreening testCOVID‑19-related health care (professional and hospital services)Non COVID‑19-related health care (professional and hospital services)
Person holding an expired cardCoveredCovered (Rule relaxed – Expired card accepted)Covered subject to the usual Plan conditions, expired card accepted
Person repatriated by the Canadian government in the wake of the pandemicCoveredCoveredCovered subject to the usual Plan conditions, and no waiting period pending eligibility
Person temporarily outside Québec who will be returning after more than 183 days outside the provinceCoveredCoveredCovered subject to the usual Plan conditions, and 183-day presence rule suspended
Homeless personCoveredCovered (Rule relaxed – No authentication, Card with photo not required)Covered subject to the usual Plan conditions
Person temporarily outside Québec, currently in CanadaNon applicableCovered subject to the usual legal and regulatory frameworkCovered subject to the usual legal and regulatory framework
Person temporarily outside Québec, currently outside CanadaNon applicableCovered subject to the usual legal and regulatory frameworkCovered subject to the usual legal and regulatory framework
Person holding refugee statusCoveredCoveredCovered subject to the usual Plan conditions
Newly arrived person (person newly settled in Québec on a permanent basis)CoveredCovered
By virtue of circular 2014-030 (01.01.10.03) of the Ministère de la Santé et des services sociaux – services necessary for infectious health problems affecting public health – these services are covered during the waiting period pending eligibility
Covered subject to the usual Plan conditions, with 3-month waiting period pending eligibility
Foreign worker or student from a country that signed a social security agreement with Québec (person newly arrived in Québec, here temporarily to work or study, holding a valid entry permit)
The countries party to the agreement are Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Romania and Sweden.
CoveredCovered (with no waiting period pending eligibility)Covered subject to the usual Plan conditions (no waiting period pending eligibility)
Foreign worker (person newly arrived in Québec, here temporarily to work, holding a valid entry permit)CoveredCovered
By virtue of circular 2014-030 (01.01.10.03) of the Ministère de la Santé et des services sociaux – services necessary for infectious health problems affecting public health – these services are covered during the waiting period pending eligibility
Covered subject to the usual Plan conditions, with 3-month waiting period pending eligibility
Foreign worker or student (person in Québec temporarily to work or study, holding an expiredentry permitCoveredCovered if no coverage provided by the person’s country of origin, a federal program or an insurance contractNot Covered
Asylum seeker/Refugee claimant (including those who cross irregularly the Canada‑US border)CoveredCovered by the Interim Federal Health Program (IFHP)Covered by the Interim Federal Health Program (IFHP)
Person without a status or without papersCoveredCovered if no coverage provided by the person’s country of origin, a federal program or an insurance contractNot Covered
Traveler, tourist and all other categories of persons not eligible for a Health Insurance Card (includes those students not coming from a country that signed a social security agreement with Québec)CoveredCovered if no coverage provided by the person’s country of origin, a federal program or an insurance contractNot Covered
Services not related to COVID 19 are covered only for those persons insured by the Québec Health Insurance Plan.
How can I get information about COVID-19?

For information on COVID-19, go to the Québec.ca website.
If you are worried about COVID-19 or have symptoms such as cough or fever, you can call your regional telephone number:
  • Québec : 418 644-4545
  • Montréal: 514 644-4545
  • Montérégie: 450 644-4545
  • Outaouais : 819 644-4545
  • Elsewhere in Québec: 1 877 644-4545 (toll free)

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
You have to reapply for RAMQ again because you have not met the residency requirements.

Its says 183 days is the residency requirement. I am out since 90 days?

How come your statement: I did I not meet the residency requirements?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Its says 183 days is the residency requirement. I am out since 90 days?

How come your statement: I did I not meet the residency requirements?
My understanding that the 183 out of 1 year is once you have passed the 3 month waiting period and have received your RAMQ card.

https://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/SiteCollectionDocuments/citoyens/en/depliants/depl-ass-mal-premiere_annee_eng.pdf

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
I read the depliant document provided. The 3 months period already elapsed. Like I originally stated:

I applied in regular manner but did not get my health coverage card sent out to me after the 3 month waiting period.
I traveled afterward out of Canada for personal reasons and then Covid-19 occured.

and It has not been yet 183 days since I left.

So, I still could not understand your statement that refers to: residency requirements that I fail to meet.

Could you clarify the reasoning on this point then ?