+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health coverage for child vaccinations before OHIP is activated

ash_b

Oct 5, 2015
Hello!

I landed in Toronto, Ontario last week Friday with family. I have a 4 months old son and need to continue his vaccinations here in Canada. OHIP (Ontatio Health Insurance Plan) takes 3 months to get activated.

My company does provide a Replacement Plan (transient & temporary until we get OHIP) but I am being told that vaccinations are not covered under that.

Are there any government/province funded clinics that provide this service for a lesser cost, especially for newcomers/immigrants?

ash_b

Oct 5, 2015
Hi!

Would really appreciate if anyone who has had a similar experience could provide some inputs.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello!

I landed in Toronto, Ontario last week Friday with family. I have a 4 months old son and need to continue his vaccinations here in Canada. OHIP (Ontatio Health Insurance Plan) takes 3 months to get activated.

My company does provide a Replacement Plan (transient & temporary until we get OHIP) but I am being told that vaccinations are not covered under that.

Are there any government/province funded clinics that provide this service for a lesser cost, especially for newcomers/immigrants?
You will need to pay out-of-pocket for your child's vaccinations.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can either pay out of pocket or delay the vaccinations. Delaying the schedule won't hurt your child as long as you avoid exposure to the diseases that he/she is being vaccinated against.

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-08-2013
Interview........
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014 inchallah
Hello!

Disregard all former replies. With vaccinations it’s a bit different. All you need to do is call the public health nurse to make appointment for your child. They will not ask for OHIP or any other card or coverage. All you need to have with you is information on all and any prior vaccines your child received since birth.

I went through this last year as we were temporarily in Ontario and did not have OHIP. I wanted my daughter to go to daycare for a few months so I wanted to make sure she is up to date on all vaccines (she was 2 yrs old at that time).

We did have Alberta health cards but for vaccination they didn’t want to see any coverage. Again call the public health nurse closest to your city and they will schedule an appointment for you at the vaccination Centre.

FYI we had to call Guelph but all vaccinations were done in Orangeville ON as that was the closest town.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Disregard all former replies. With vaccinations it’s a bit different. All you need to do is call the public health nurse to make appointment for your child. They will not ask for OHIP or any other card or coverage. All you need to have with you is information on all and any prior vaccines your child received since birth.

I went through this last year as we were temporarily in Ontario and did not have OHIP. I wanted my daughter to go to daycare for a few months so I wanted to make sure she is up to date on all vaccines (she was 2 yrs old at that time).

We did have Alberta health cards but for vaccination they didn’t want to see any coverage. Again call the public health nurse closest to your city and they will schedule an appointment for you at the vaccination Centre.

FYI we had to call Guelph but all vaccinations were done in Orangeville ON as that was the closest town.
This may have been to protect Ontario children at the daycare and may be because it was a school requirement. You also had Alberta health care although the didn't seem to bill it. Obviously you can call and see.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Hello!

There are definitely government-funded clinics that provide vaccinations for free. Start here: https://www.phdapps.health.gov.on.ca/PHULocator/

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....