+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health care experience? Looking for possible job.

Kajnn

Jan 13, 2016
So I had a question that I was posting in the General immigration forum and I thought I might be able to get some more light shed on it here.

I'm looking for any sort of jobs that I could work at, and get a work visa from. I'm 23 years old in the United States with a regular passport book and card and I'd love to be in the Vancouver area.

I have a High school diploma and no college experience or trade skills, although I have about 4 years in-home health care for my uncle when part of his foot was amputated and his health has been rapidly declining. At that time I had been helping him get medications in, sometimes helping with bandage care, etc and then I was his transportation back and forth between Dialysis and several doctors appointments for about 7-8 hours for 3-4 days a week. Unfortunately I wasn't working for any sort of healthcare company so I don't think I could list that as something on my resumes or even be considered acceptable for any sort of medical related jobs.

I've had my drivers licence in the states for a little over 5 years, and I would be bringing my own car if that's anymore helpful.
I have also been applying to jobs that say they would supply a work visa and some sort of training, like security but have no luck with those.
A friend of mine has suggested working on an oil rig but he's been slow at getting me information on that so if you have any it would be greatly appreciated!

So I was wondering what I could do about all of this? Or even what I could look for. Honestly at this point I'm just looking for anything that I could receive any training if needed and a work visa from.

If I could provide anymore information please do let me know and I'll be happy to supply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately there's really no secret. You just have to keep applying to jobs you think you might qualify for and hope you get lucky.

You should understand what an employer will need to do in order to hire you. It doesn't sound like your job will qualify under NAFTA - this means your employer will need to obtain an approved LMIA before you can apply for a work permit.

Before the employer can apply for an LMIA, he will first have to advertise the job for at least a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. Once the advertising requirement has been completed, the employer submits the LMIA application along with a $1,000 fee and waits for the LMIA to be processed. Processing can take as long as 4 months. Because this process is long and expensive - you are going to find that many employers unfortunately aren't willing to go through it. But keep trying - you may very well get lucky.

Good luck - hope you find something.

Kajnn

Jan 13, 2016
scylla said:
Unfortunately there's really no secret. You just have to keep applying to jobs you think you might qualify for and hope you get lucky.

You should understand what an employer will need to do in order to hire you. It doesn't sound like your job will qualify under NAFTA - this means your employer will need to obtain an approved LMIA before you can apply for a work permit.

Before the employer can apply for an LMIA, he will first have to advertise the job for at least a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. Once the advertising requirement has been completed, the employer submits the LMIA application along with a $1,000 fee and waits for the LMIA to be processed. Processing can take as long as 4 months. Because this process is long and expensive - you are going to find that many employers unfortunately aren't willing to go through it. But keep trying - you may very well get lucky.

Good luck - hope you find something.
Thank you very much, you've been very helpful. I'll keep searching and maybe I can get a bit replies on here along the way.

I do too, thanks again!