20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
madmedic_1 said:
My wife arrived from Germany on Dec 1 2014, I had already advised my work and benefit provider about our situation. She has no OHIP at this time, but she is still covered under my benefits from work, but not able to use the Travel insurance part of it because she does not have OHIP. Everything else she is covered though, ie. Prescription meds, dentist, eye glasses ect. They said that they will only cover what is not normally covered by OHIP...she has Emergency medical travel insurance for the rest...hospital visits etc.
You have to be careful. Most if not all insurance companies has a requirement that they must be on OHIP before qualifying for work benefits, at least in Ontario. If your work insurance company finds out that your wife is not on OHIP, they can come back to you asking for the money back that she wasn't entitled to in the first place.

madmedic_1

Sep 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2014
Doc's Request.
15-12-2014
File Transfer...
07-10-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
26-05-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Passport Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2015
LANDED..........
12-02-2015
screech339 said:
You have to be careful. Most if not all insurance companies has a requirement that they must be on OHIP before qualifying for work benefits, at least in Ontario. If your work insurance company finds out that your wife is not on OHIP, they can come back to you asking for the money back that she wasn't entitled to in the first place.
They already know she doesn't have OHIP...I was in Human Resources and both Human Resources and myself spoke directly to them about what she is and is not entitled to. I explained everything in detail as to where we are in the Immigration Process.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
madmedic_1 said:
They already know she doesn't have OHIP...I was in Human Resources and both Human Resources and myself spoke directly to them about what she is and is not entitled to. I explained everything in detail as to where we are in the Immigration Process.
If you don't mind me asking, may I ask what insurance company offering the work benefit through your work please?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
madmedic_1 said:
My wife arrived from Germany on Dec 1 2014, I had already advised my work and benefit provider about our situation. She has no OHIP at this time, but she is still covered under my benefits from work, but not able to use the Travel insurance part of it because she does not have OHIP. Everything else she is covered though, ie. Prescription meds, dentist, eye glasses ect. They said that they will only cover what is not normally covered by OHIP...she has Emergency medical travel insurance for the rest...hospital visits etc.
Yeah I've heard this too (for plans that will cover employee spouses who do not have OHIP). Basically travel insurance will not be covered since it is an extension of OHIP benefits but the rest should be

madmedic_1

Sep 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2014
Doc's Request.
15-12-2014
File Transfer...
07-10-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
26-05-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Passport Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2015
LANDED..........
12-02-2015
screech339 said:
If you don't mind me asking, may I ask what insurance company offering the work benefit through your work please?
My provider is Greenshield.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
I think with PR status the insurance companies know that the spouse will eventually have OHIP anyways (since the sponsor is employed and has work benefits). There is no concern about not being resident as one of them is employed/resident here in Ontario.

But yeah OHIP does make newcomers jump through hoops to get registered for OHIP. You go with one document, no we want this one, we want that one, it really depends on the agent @ serviceontario.

My brother had the ontario photo card, but the agent said they wanted a bank statement. So we wait for a month and get a statement for $2 mailed, take that to serviceontario, this time its another agent who doesn't even bother to see the statement. Just takes the photo id card and uses that for OHIP registration. Card arrives in mail and coverage started.

So it depends completely on the agent(person) sitting at the counter......some agents are nice/easy, some are like they woke up by mistake.

I recommend strongly to everyone to try different offices and hope u end up with a NICE agent who's helpful to newcomers rather than those who do not deserve to be there. I mean, if the newcomer comes with document from the LIST OF DOCUMENTS, there is no need to refuse them and send them back..........

Refugees and other scammers enjoy it all and get it freely while the honest person has to go back and forth several times just to register.
What a load of crap! Alberta covers everyone from Day 1, why can't Ohip get its ass outta the gutter and start helping newcomers who're making this place home ????
You want them to contribute but how about you(ohip) help them too.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
canvis2006 said:
I think with PR status the insurance companies know that the spouse will eventually have OHIP

What a load of crap! Alberta covers everyone from Day 1, why can't Ohip get its ass outta the gutter and start helping newcomers who're making this place home ????
The issue with Ontario is that it has had the most issues with people abusing the system. It makes sense that Ontario would have the highest instances since it is still the main destination of new immigrants. Anyway as with many things, all it takes are a few bad apples to ruin it for all of us.

Skyline29

Aug 11, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2014
Doc's Request.
Dependant fill out form & sent documents
AOR Received.
File in Ecas feb 19, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront medical
Med's Done....
Done
Interview........
?
Passport Req..
?
VISA ISSUED...
?
LANDED..........
?
canvis2006 said:
I think with PR status the insurance companies know that the spouse will eventually have OHIP anyways (since the sponsor is employed and has work benefits). There is no concern about not being resident as one of them is employed/resident here in Ontario.

But yeah OHIP does make newcomers jump through hoops to get registered for OHIP. You go with one document, no we want this one, we want that one, it really depends on the agent @ serviceontario.

My brother had the ontario photo card, but the agent said they wanted a bank statement. So we wait for a month and get a statement for $2 mailed, take that to serviceontario, this time its another agent who doesn't even bother to see the statement. Just takes the photo id card and uses that for OHIP registration. Card arrives in mail and coverage started.

So it depends completely on the agent(person) sitting at the counter......some agents are nice/easy, some are like they woke up by mistake.

I recommend strongly to everyone to try different offices and hope u end up with a NICE agent who's helpful to newcomers rather than those who do not deserve to be there. I mean, if the newcomer comes with document from the LIST OF DOCUMENTS, there is no need to refuse them and send them back..........

Refugees and other scammers enjoy it all and get it freely while the honest person has to go back and forth several times just to register.
I agree with u canvis2006 about ur last paragraph & I see the government allowing many refugees to enter the country why oh why they have the benefit of Ohip / work or helping them because they refugee why are we not same human who needs Ohip- work - our husband/wife work & paying taxes - I pay my taxes too before still working then all is expired Ohip & work permit coz of them also now need to wait for OWP or 1st approval to renew my Ohip, why other country like Alberta they can add spouses in their hearth insurace (Ohip) why Ontario ohio is not, is there some one in government fix this one for everybody specially for those pregnant.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Grafton said:
Do new permanent residents have to fill or bring any forms?
there are specific items needed to prove your residency for OHIP. No matter when you apply, it will not be activated until 90 days after landing as a pr. Go to the service ontario website to see a list of acceptable documents. they are very strict. you will need your passport, COPR (or pr card) and proof of residency. Generally, proof of residency is a MAILED utility bill or bank statement. Printouts from online accounts or from a bank branch will not work. the document MUST be mailed to the PR at the address in ontario.

Grafton

Apr 15, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
there are specific items needed to prove your residency for OHIP. No matter when you apply, it will not be activated until 90 days after landing as a pr. Go to the service ontario website to see a list of acceptable documents. they are very strict. you will need your passport, COPR (or pr card) and proof of residency. Generally, proof of residency is a MAILED utility bill or bank statement. Printouts from online accounts or from a bank branch will not work. the document MUST be mailed to the PR at the address in ontario.
Do I need to fill an application form?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Grafton said:
Do I need to fill an application form?
yes, service ontario will give you the form to fill out. you do not need to fill it out before hand.

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
Does anyone have any suggestions for insurance companies that will cover new immigrants and returning citizens for the three month wait for OHIP? I understand its better to go with a Canadian company to avoid any hassles of having to return to your native country for treatment. Any suggestions appreciated!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
brucem said:
Does anyone have any suggestions for insurance companies that will cover new immigrants and returning citizens for the three month wait for OHIP? I understand its better to go with a Canadian company to avoid any hassles of having to return to your native country for treatment. Any suggestions appreciated!
https://www.kanetix.ca/travel-visitors-to-canada