+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Heads up for everyone regarding mailing address experience, and a question on best practice going forward ?

messiry

Sep 8, 2015
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share my experience regarding changing my mailing address. I submitted my application for PR Renewal 3 month back, wrote my home address, but was planning to travel for an extended period of time, so wrote down my relative's address as a mailing address. Last week , I received my PR sent at my home address, despite writing my relative's address as a mailing address. Luckily, I was still available at my home address, as my travel plans were postponed. But since I am planning to submit a paper application for citizenship soon, with the possibility of traveling for an extended period, this worries me, as my lease for my home address is due soon. So I wanted to ask, if I change my home address to my relative's address in the application, would that have any legal consequences, given that my health card has my current mailing address, would it count as misrepresentation, since I also don't have a lease contract for my relative's address ?

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share my experience regarding changing my mailing address. I submitted my application for PR Renewal 3 month back, wrote my home address, but was planning to travel for an extended period of time, so wrote down my relative's address as a mailing address. Last week , I received my PR sent at my home address, despite writing my relative's address as a mailing address. Luckily, I was still available at my home address, as my travel plans were postponed. But since I am planning to submit a paper application for citizenship soon, with the possibility of traveling for an extended period, this worries me, as my lease for my home address is due soon. So I wanted to ask, if I change my home address to my relative's address in the application, would that have any legal consequences, given that my health card has my current mailing address, would it count as misrepresentation, since I also don't have a lease contract for my relative's address ?
You changed your mailing address, not your home address. They don’t mail PR cards to mailing address. They send it to home address. They have clearly mentioned it in their website.

Reactions: armoured

messiry

Sep 8, 2015
You changed your mailing address, not your home address. They don’t mail PR cards to mailing address. They send it to home address. They have clearly mentioned it in their website.
I just checked the website for the info you're given. Actually you are right. It's confusing though they have a section for mailing address, when they won't use it, as having a section for a mailing address in the application, implies that you are allowed to put a mailing address, then the rules say that you can't use ( it's sort of a trap in this way :)). I am guessing since there is nothing to suggest that it's the same for citizenship application, then it's acceptable to put a mailing address, in which any correspondence will be sent, and that if an application is returned, it would be returned to the mailing address, not at the home address

Last edited: