+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Head Cashier- is it NOC 6211?

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada
Hi members, thank you for helping me with my previous query and it did help me to make a good decision. I got a similar doubt with this job offer for a friend- he has been working there for 3 months and this is job description letter he received with his job offer. Please help in determining whether this job comes under NOC B level – NOC 6211 - Retail sales supervisor. The position title is HEAD CASHIER at a home improvement store

Only pasting important parts of the letter

The Front End is the last opportunity we have to delight our customers and give them the best customer service experience, The Head Cashier plays an important role to ensure this occurs by supporting the Front End Supervisor in motivating front line associates to perform and provide excellent service and works with other departments to ensure a good customer service experience.
  • The head cashier coaches, trains and develops Cashiers and Lot Associates to consistently demonstrate value-based behaviours by providing consistent on the job feedback.
  • Maintains Coverage through scheduling to ensure excellent customer service and provides first level of escalation for customer issues, Ensures that policies and procedures are communicated to minimize shrink.
  • Each associate has the responsibility of providing a safe working and shopping environment by following all safety policies & standards, completing specified safety training, immediately correcting hazards & unsafe conditions or reporting conditions to the Manager On Duty, and working safely as not to endanger themselves, Co-workers, vendors, or customers.
  • Ensure all Company Standard Operating Procedures and policies in the Code of Conduct are communicated and adhered to by associates.
  • Observe associates and work activity within department (s) of responsibility, including ensuring appropriate departmental staffing levels to meet business needs
  • Provide associates with the training, information, tools, coaching, guidance, encouragement and recognition needed to meet expectations and/or take on higher levels of responsibility within store
  • Ensure that all Safety and Asset Protection standards and protocols are clearly communicated and followed, training is completed, proper PPE is available and used, and ensure a safe and clean working and shopping environment is maintained and associates are held accountable to address unsafe work or customer practices
  • Communicate goals, priorities, and directions from store leadership to associates
  • Ensure the parking lot is presentable and associates are providing excellent customer service
  • Engage back-up cashiers as necessary and assign them to predetermined registers
  • Learn how to operate Cash machines and train cashiers accordingly
  • Ensure the Cash Machines are in working condition

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi members, thank you for helping me with my previous query and it did help me to make a good decision. I got a similar doubt with this job offer for a friend- he has been working there for 3 months and this is job description letter he received with his job offer. Please help in determining whether this job comes under NOC B level – NOC 6211 - Retail sales supervisor. The position title is HEAD CASHIER at a home improvement store

Only pasting important parts of the letter

How big is this store? # of employees approx on shift at one time? If this a big retailer a manager or assistant store manager would be responsible for many of these roles

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada
How big is this store? # of employees approx on shift at one time? If this a big retailer a manager or assistant store manager would be responsible for many of these roles
Does that matter? Never thought in that way. He is working at medium sized Home Depot. I checked with him and he is doing all these tasks daily plus some more. At a time, usually, there will be always 2/3 Head Cashiers + 6-10 normal Cashiers.
Front End Supervisor/Store Manager/Assistant store manager- their shifts vary a lot and not all involved in the retail sales in a visible way and mostly manages other departments (among these, FES is little more involved). I know about all of these because I did work in a similar company for some time and I can say the Head Cashier manages the day-to-day operations in a store like this and does the most work.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Does that matter? Never thought in that way. He is working at medium sized Home Depot. I checked with him and he is doing all these tasks daily plus some more. At a time, usually, there will be always 2/3 Head Cashiers + 6-10 normal Cashiers.
Front End Supervisor/Store Manager/Assistant store manager- their shifts vary a lot and not all involved in the retail sales in a visible way and mostly manages other departments (among these, FES is little more involved). I know about all of these because I did work in a similar company for some time and I can say the Head Cashier manages the day-to-day operations in a store like this and does the most work.
Most are trying to qualify for NOC 0, A or B so we've seen a lot of creative definitions of managers, head something, etc. when there were only a few employees. I have a very hard time believing the head cashier is responsible for these activities when a home depot has managers, assistant managers and even heads of departments.

• Observe associates and work activity within department (s) of responsibility, including ensuring appropriate departmental staffing levels to meet business needs (wouldn't a manager or assistant manger do scheduling for all the employees in the store?)
  • Provide associates with the training, information, tools, coaching, guidance, encouragement and recognition needed to meet expectations and/or take on higher levels of responsibility within store ( shouldn't this be cashiers not associates?)
  • Ensure the parking lot is presentable

Would suggest changing associates to cashiers throughout your job duties because it appears as though you're in control of all the workers.

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada
Most are trying to qualify for NOC 0, A or B so we've seen a lot of creative definitions of managers, head something, etc. when there were only a few employees. I have a very hard time believing the head cashier is responsible for these activities when a home depot has managers, assistant managers and even heads of departments.

• Observe associates and work activity within department (s) of responsibility, including ensuring appropriate departmental staffing levels to meet business needs (wouldn't a manager or assistant manger do scheduling for all the employees in the store?)
  • Provide associates with the training, information, tools, coaching, guidance, encouragement and recognition needed to meet expectations and/or take on higher levels of responsibility within store ( shouldn't this be cashiers not associates?)
  • Ensure the parking lot is presentable

Would suggest changing associates to cashiers throughout your job duties because it appears as though you're in control of all the workers.
Hi, thank you for you response. I was discussing those points with him and HC is in charge of daily assigning cashiers and lot associates to different sections such as till, self-checkout, carry outs, parking lot etc. and they manage the breaks, training and other misc. duties. Further, they provide significant input to the FES in preparing rosters which will be approved by the manager later. I guess the term associates in a broader sense refers to cashiers , lot associates, department associates- all the first level employees and since I worked as a lumber associate long time ago, the HC did indeed assigned me to cash (provided someone know how to work in that department) or other departments whenever necessary. But I guess it would make better sense if the term was changed to cashiers instead of associates.

So, if the offer letter is giving this description and if the experience letter is also validating it and if the IRCC contacts the employer/store manager and if they confirms the HC roles and job descriptions, would that be the end of job verification to make sure it is NOC 6211 or is there any other further step in that process?

Is there any way other way we can be more sure such as taking a consultation from a RCIC consultant (but, at the end of the day, is it totally at the hands of Case Processing Officer to determine, right?) or even making any request to any organization/lawyer to get confirmation that this job is NOC B 6211 or any precedents? Thank you

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada