+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HC&G for mom

btkhan35

Jan 21, 2020
Hello, I have a question about HC&G. I am an only child. I have a 7 yo daughter. Her dad is in custody and we don't know yet how long he will stay in custody. I am separated from my husband and will file for divorce. We have no other family here in Canada and I would like my mom to be sponsored under HC&G. I am undergoing therapy for depression and anxiety. My mom is a big support for me especially when I go back to work full time. She and my daughter are very close.
Would we have a chance at a successful HC&G? She has been here on visitor visa and I just keep renewing it. She has brother and sister in Philippines but they both suffer from stroke. My mom is 73 yo.

Thank you for your help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I have a question about HC&G. I am an only child. I have a 7 yo daughter. Her dad is in custody and we don't know yet how long he will stay in custody. I am separated from my husband and will file for divorce. We have no other family here in Canada and I would like my mom to be sponsored under HC&G. I am undergoing therapy for depression and anxiety. My mom is a big support for me especially when I go back to work full time. She and my daughter are very close.
Would we have a chance at a successful HC&G? She has been here on visitor visa and I just keep renewing it. She has brother and sister in Philippines but they both suffer from stroke. My mom is 73 yo.

Thank you for your help.
Why don’t you try to sponsor through the PGP program? If H&C is denied she will have difficulty visiting Canada ever again. There are lots of single mothers in Canada and it does sound like your mother has extended family in the Philippines.

https://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/decisions/en/item/421303/index.do

Reactions: jddd

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that she also can support you trough a TRV or supervisa. It sounds like she is in good health so she can care for herself when she has to return to the Phillipines.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018

Thank you for your help.
Hi there, and sorry about all of your troubles.

It's not possible to predict the outcome of an inland H&C application, but the risks are pretty clear.

1. these take a long time to process to a decision. In the meantime you have to maintain your status and if the visitor status is not extended then you're faced with leaving Canada with the H&C still undecided.

2. an unsuccessful H&C will likely lead to this being the last TRV the applicant ever receives. It's hard to sponsor parents but still possible and running around that process with an inland H&C application can backfire horribly.

3. you really need an experienced lawyer and a pile of cash in order to have a knowledgeable person translate your situation into the policies inherent to the Immigration H&C considerations like Best Interests of the Children (BIOC), undue hardship and/or establishment, etc.

You won't be the applicant of course, and so your story will only mean so much juxtaposed with the applicant's stated grounds.

You have to establish that an extraordinary set of circumstances exist that reasonably prevents the applicant from applying from outside of Canada. It's a challenge and failure holds real consequences that are unlikely to change the next time it's asserted that your mother would return home after a visit to Canada.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do you have the funds to qualify for a supervisa or PGP? That would be a much safer route to go. If you don’t have the funds there will also be concerns that you won’t be able to support your mother. Do you have funds to pay for a lawyer?

btkhan35

Jan 21, 2020
thank you all for your replies. I don't want to risk my mom not ever granted a TRV so I will wait for the Parent sponsorship. All the best.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thank you all for your replies. I don't want to risk my mom not ever granted a TRV so I will wait for the Parent sponsorship. All the best.
Probably the best move. You will need to be prepared for your mother to be refused an extension at some point and will have to return home for a while to reestablish her ties to the Phillipines. I hope your mother has medical insurance. That is really important to have especially as a longterm visitor unless you are millionaires.