+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Having Trouble Adjusting to Canadian Weather

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Three layers only maximum given as others have implied too much sweat can actually make a person ill some tips here http://theplanetd.com/layering-tips-for-cold-weather-travel/

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Annaliseee002 said:
This morning I brought up wearing less clothes with my mother, I asked if I could go to school without one of my inner coats and she wouldn't let me. Even after telling her about how I swear in all those layers she still insists that I'll get sick if I wear any less.
You can remove the other coats on your way to school when your mom is not watching or does your mom come with you to school?
I can't imagine you wearing all those coats, they are heavy, I hate wearing heavy clothing!

Annaliseee002

Mar 4, 2017
CDNPR2014 said:
so take the layers off when you get to school, and put them back on when you go home.
That's exactly what I do. By the time I get to school and undress I'm already sweating from wearing all my layers.

Annaliseee002

Mar 4, 2017
xpressentry said:
My parents didn't allow my sister to wear skimpy clothes. She would cover up when leaving the house and would take off the extra clothing as soon as she stepped out of the house. My parents didn't know. Everyone was happy. You could try the same.
It would be such a pain trying to undress outside then carrying my winter gear with me to school.

Annaliseee002

Mar 4, 2017
methyl said:
You could open up the outer coats once out of reach of your mom outside, until you're at a comfortable temperature (not sweating).
It's nice that they're trying to make you comfortable adjusting to Canadian climate but maybe do some research on how people actually get sick with colds and flu (it's not by wearing light clothes, unless you are going into extremes like hypothermia).
My parents would seriously flip out if they saw me outside with my coats unzipped. And that's why I almost feel bad complaining, they literally spent thousands on my winter clothes.

Annaliseee002

Mar 4, 2017
foodie69 said:
Wow.. just do what the others mentioned. Find a way to feel comfortable, there is really no need to dress that warm. I mean you go from your house onto the bus, car, train, and then to school and back home. Everywhere you go there is heating..but I am originally from Europe and used to 4 seasons anyway.
I do have to spend some time walking outside, but I would definitely be comfortable wearing less.

Annaliseee002

Mar 4, 2017
Bs65 said:
Three layers only maximum given as others have implied too much sweat can actually make a person ill some tips here http://theplanetd.com/layering-tips-for-cold-weather-travel/
Three layers max? Today I had on seven layers; undershirt, long sleeve shirt, fleece pullover, fleece jacket, puffer coat, another puffer coat, and a heavy down parka.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Annaliseee002 said:
Three layers max? Today I had on seven layers; undershirt, long sleeve shirt, fleece pullover, fleece jacket, puffer coat, another puffer coat, and a heavy down parka.
I start to think you are not quite what you want us to believe you are. I have my suspicion you being a troll.. No one can really wear that much. And even in Inuvik it is not that cold to justify all those layers.

Annaliseee002

Mar 4, 2017
pie_vancouver said:
You can remove the other coats on your way to school when your mom is not watching or does your mom come with you to school?
I can't imagine you wearing all those coats, they are heavy, I hate wearing heavy clothing!
Most mornings she does walk with me, so I can't really do that. And they are super heavy! Especially my down parka. My inner coats are really thick too. I can barely even move my arms! I always feel like giant puffball wearing them.

Annaliseee002

Mar 4, 2017
foodie69 said:
I start to think you are not quite what you want us to believe you are. I have my suspicion you being a troll.. No one can really wear that much. And even in Inuvik it is not that cold to justify all those layers.
Why would I troll about this? And unfortunately yes, you can really wear that much, I know it's not cold enough too but my parents are forcing me to.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Look at this, only 3 layers not 7! and this is Antarctica:
http://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarctica%20fact%20file/science/clothing_in_antarctica.php

Annaliseee002

Mar 4, 2017
pie_vancouver said:
Look at this, only 3 layers not 7! and this is Antarctica:
http://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarctica%20fact%20file/science/clothing_in_antarctica.php
I don't doubt I can be comfortable in three layers, I wish I could just wear what I want.