+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Having Trouble Adjusting to Canadian Weather

Annaliseee002

Mar 4, 2017
xpressentry said:
Wear layers but take them off as you feel warmer. You are wearing too many layers. Sweating is a cause of the too many layers making you feel hot. The sweat will make you ill.
Are you saying me sweating can get me sick?

Annaliseee002

Mar 4, 2017
NetMecca said:
See if you can buy clothes that are temperature rated. Some of the coats have temperature ratings. Buy one that has the rating for your location. Means you only need one coat. Thinker gloves, thicker clothing items so you can get away with wearing less items.

Also when dressing start with by assessing whether you are still cold. If you are add until you are not. You will likely find that you can get a way with a lot less than you think.

I agree that you should protect extremities. Also dress in accordance with the temperature and the amount of time you plan to spend outside. AS you know everything is heated, so you only really need to dress very warm if you plan to spend extended periods of time outside. If not, just enough so you can get between heated locations.

Don't worry, you will get used to the cold, takes about 2-3 winters to start acclimatising.

Good Luck
[\quote]

My coats and parkas are really thick so they should be rated for low temps. The only thing you can see are my eyes when I go outside, so I'm not too worried about my extremities. And I know the first few winters are the worst, I just can't wait for it to be warm again!

Annaliseee002

Mar 4, 2017
APPNOV2014NY said:
Sweating while in multiple layers of clothes is not good. You might end up getting cold or fever. Please ensure that your Winter clothes are "breathable" and "moisture wicking".
I usually wear undershirts that are. I haven't gotten a cold or fever yet, but the sweating is pretty embarrassing.

Annaliseee002

Mar 4, 2017
scylla said:
You do have to dress for the weather - but it sounds like you're layering far too much. If you have a good winter coat, you shouldn't need that many layers underneath. If you're sweaty by the time you arrive at school, you're wearing too many layers. One hat should be enough and one pair of gloves.

I'll be honest - it sounds like your issue is more with your parents than the weather. Perhaps you can have a discussion with them and tell them you don't need to wear so many articles of clothing to keep warm.
This morning I brought up wearing less clothes with my mother, I asked if I could go to school without one of my inner coats and she wouldn't let me. Even after telling her about how I swear in all those layers she still insists that I'll get sick if I wear any less.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Annaliseee002 said:
This morning I brought up wearing less clothes with my mother, I asked if I could go to school without one of my inner coats and she wouldn't let me. Even after telling her about how I swear in all those layers she still insists that I'll get sick if I wear any less.
so take the layers off when you get to school, and put them back on when you go home.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
My parents didn't allow my sister to wear skimpy clothes. She would cover up when leaving the house and would take off the extra clothing as soon as she stepped out of the house. My parents didn't know. Everyone was happy. You could try the same.

methyl

Feb 1, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
29-07-2016, Received 02-08-2016. Out of status app.
Doc's Request.
PGR 30-11-2016
Nomination.....
SA Approved 31-08-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1 23-08-2016. AOR2 30-11-2016
File Transfer...
31-08-2016
Med's Done....
28-06-2016
Passport Req..
17-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2017
LANDED..........
31-07-2017
Annaliseee002 said:
You could open up the outer coats once out of reach of your mom outside, until you're at a comfortable temperature (not sweating).
It's nice that they're trying to make you comfortable adjusting to Canadian climate but maybe do some research on how people actually get sick with colds and flu (it's not by wearing light clothes, unless you are going into extremes like hypothermia).

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Annaliseee002 said:
Wow.. just do what the others mentioned. Find a way to feel comfortable, there is really no need to dress that warm. I mean you go from your house onto the bus, car, train, and then to school and back home. Everywhere you go there is heating..but I am originally from Europe and used to 4 seasons anyway.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
foodie69 said:
Right, but for some people all of Canada is the Arctic (well, they behave that way). I'm in short sleeves today, by the way ;)
I wear my sneakers despite snowing today :D